1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Percentiles

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Padminiramesh, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am sound very silly, please guide me what is this Percentiles all about.

When i calculate, it shows the following figure for my LO.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Length for age is in the percentile :75th - 90th
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight for age percentiles : 50th - 75th
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight for length percentile : 25th-50th
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Head circumference for age percentile: 25th-50th

My little brain is not understanding all these things. What is this figures all about? Is my LO on good side or bad side?
    [/FONT]

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

the pitfalls of percentile is this: it is rigid and does not follow the child's health or development. Healthy children comes in different shapes and sizes.

If you were to take 100 children of 3 months, there are around 10 to 25 children taller than your child, 25 to 50 weigh more than your child, around 50 to 75 have a bigger head than your child (!). Weight to length is an indication that your child's weight and length is proportionate, i.e. he or she is gaining weight and height at an appropriate rate.

This is the range and between 5th and 90th percentile is considered an acceptable range. Looks like your child is more or less in middle of the range. More than the numbers themselves, it is vital that one follows the pattern. If your child were to drop from say 35th percentile to 20th percentile in two months, it is an indicator she is not receiving an ideal amount of nutrition. Whereas if your child was in 10th percentile and continued to be so, it does not mean that your child is not healthy. HTH.

3. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Ohhh thanks Tikka, Whenever i have a question, i know i will get an answer from you:thumbsup...so sweet of you. Sometimes i blindly believe you girls for my LO's stuffs.

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Wonderfully explained Tikka. Kudos to you.