Passion for teaching is a missing link amongst students your comments pls

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Saisakthi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Time and again there is thought which lingers in themind is that our educational curriculum has forgotten “to create teachers/faculty” who are the key people in creating professionals like Doctors/Engineers /Scientists /IT Professionals /Entrepreneurs. At any given point whena student is asked what is your ambition, very rarely a student utters to be aTeacher.

Current generation students most of them want tobecome a software professional or an engineer working in a white collared job,noble profession like medicine is also trailing behind amongst students andparents because it involves lot of investment in money and time. The awareness is very less amongst parents about the other courses at the present day where lot of opportunities are available.

We are at a critical juncture, where the education industry needs to play an important role to improve in the global scenario and translate dream Vision 2020 of Dr.Abdul Kalam ji’s into reality thereby leading our country into a developed nation.

This family of IL are from different backgrounds,wide discipline and from nook and corner of the globe, may I request you to comment on the above with your views to be an iota in improving the Education system which is also getting commercialized like any other industry unlike the erstwhile passion when philanthropist were keen in imparting free education.

Hope many of you would contribute and make this a healthier one.

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Great topic Shakti.

Nowadays people comment a lot about the declining quality of education and its commercialization but how many people realize that teachers are a huge contributing factor to education? A passionate teacher can induce passion in the students for the particular subject, help them to learn and explore beyond the predefined and aged syllabus.

There are many people passionate about teaching. But they dont end up choosing it as their profession. There are many reasons. Few are pay, peer pressure, work load etc.
    Pay: The teachers, especially elementary and highschool teachers, dont get paid well. It is a fact. In many schools, they offer 3k as starting pay to elementary school teachers in Bangalore. Our watchman gets paid 5k per month and no one asks about his exp while hiring him. Then why this discrimination against teachers?
    Peer pressure: When all their friends are becoming engineers or getting a well paying IT job, not many would want to opt for a low paying teaching job, both for the title and the pay. How many parents would want their kids taking teaching as their profession? Very small minority, i believe.
    Work Load: Contrary to what everyone think, teachers, especially school teachers have a lot of work. Nowadays, most schools cram about 50-60 kids in a class. The teachers have to teach, create test papers, correct them , come up with new projects, evaluate them, have regular PTMs and so on. Imagine doing that for so many kids. If a teacher is passionate and does all of the above activities with real enthusiasm for so many kids, can you imagine the work load?

The above are only a few factors. there are many more. All this combined with poor teacher training facilities, how can you expect passionate people to take this up as a profession? They are sure to get vexed somewhere along the way and move to better opportunities.

3. Saisakthi

Thanks Orion ji for your view, will sum up this thread once I get more Fbs, thanks

4. Saisakthi

Dear Orion ji

Being the moderator you found this post to be a GREAT TOPIC surprised to note that no one else wanted to comment on this burning issue.

True like some of them say if it was some other posts even within an hour there are about ten / twelve feedbacks, it is all about the education of our children who are the future citizens of India.

??????.....

Anyway thanks a ton that you wholeheartedly replied.

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shakthi,

It is a burning topic and every parent is aware of the problems the education system is facing now. You have touched a key point with this topic. It might take some time for others to respond.

Meanwhile, I would suggest to include the topic title and link in your signature. That way your thread will get more exposure and responses.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saisakthi,

this was a problem we have been discussing exhaustively for some time in the 2008..later we stopped..maybe you would like to check out this..

sometimes, it takes time for certain topics to sink into people and not all have the same passion to discuss subjects and again there would be viewers but no replies, because not all can put what they feel as a post..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schoolgoers-and-teens/32319-the-indian-education-system.html

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

y was the day I was going to stay on task and finish all my organizational tasks...but this caught my eye and here I am:) I go to very few forums as do a lot of other members I'm sure...and if an interesting post shows up on the 'recent post' list then we comment...

How many parets look at teaching as a competetive and respectable occupation for their child? How often do you think they suggest to their children that this might be a good professional choice? By respect I don't mean the 'noble' or sentimental view..but understanding that it takes a certan skill set and professional knowldege?

A lot of societies grapple with this except that, in some countries you can be self sufficient to a certain degree with the basic pay ...you don't have the means to lead a luxurious life but atleast you don't have to struggle to make ends meet. That is a problem in India.

If you look at the mushrooming 'teacher's colleges' how many of them follow recent research in education? Do they provide opportunities for their student teachers to try the various stratgies in the classroom. I may know all that there is about LD but if I don't learn to apply it, I'll never know the right/wrong way to implement it.

What criterion do parents use to measure the standards of schools? Do you look at the teacher education backgrounds or do they look at the 'name' that the PR machine generates?

How does society view teachers? Why is it considered a profession for people
    • with too much money and time on their hands?
    • who have no other set of skills?
    • who need a 'safe' and acceptable job?
    Cildren learn from their families and friends around them...so what do they see and hear about the profession to interest them? Nothing much, I'm afraid:(

1 person likes this.
  8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Orion , You have perfectly hit the nail on its head. I wanted to become a teacher, but the pay System was so disgusting. SO i choose to be with IT. however once i earn enough and Financially stable am considering a change. Hope it works!!!

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

My personal experience :

My daughter has scored good marks in 10th. she has taken commerce and one of her other classmates has taken humanities, infact the kid paid 50k to get into that as it was not available in all schools..did you know that cbse has so many subjects other than 1/2/3 groups but tamilnadu has very few schools that have the option so the child can choose. even photography is a subject..and i think there is only one school in tn that too in chennai that has this as a subject.

the society really looks down at you if you take commerce, the first question is do you want to do CA..(after we tell them it is my kids' choice). why should the child be restricted to CA just because it is a pro-course...

it is easy to talk and discuss on the subject..but the ground reality is different. i have two teenage kids who do not have any inclination to do both engineering/medicine..maybe maybe my son may opt tech courses, because the geology course he wants is offered only by two colleges in india and as a part of their b.tech course. if he cannot get through he will do bachelors in the same..he is 8th.

Did you know there are schools which churn out children only for engineering classes. i am not joking. one of the mothers i know, her kid studies in trichy. the kids' school does classes on saturday/sunday and it is all towards engineering and they are forcing the kid to do it even if the kid wants to move to commerce..

and i agree with all that teacher (Rama) says honestly how many of us would think of teaching as a profession. i know kids of teachers who do not. I know a lecturer in a reputed eng.college telling the students, he is actually whiling his time here until he gets a good position in a company..

first the system needs to change as a whole. the teachers need to be treated better. private school teachers also need to be paid better and the teachers should have good qualification..when things change with the attitude of a few teachers , and also the respect for the profession grows among the children and the parents(mainly) there will be more..

at the same time i know a few teachers in IL (fulltime and volunteers) who are doing a good job(sarasvadivu,Vadapallisudha,srama,teacher to name a few..) so there is hope...only a shift in the perspective of looking at the profession is the need of the hour.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

it is no more a simple job, that people took it. each school is too competitive and wants more out of the teachers. the workload of a teacher under the new cce introduced by the cbse is tremendous.the number of records needed to be maintained..

the facilities that are given to the teacher..substandard materials has raised a lot of illness in teachers..