Parvati and Shaktipeeths

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by sushmasrivastav, Feb 25, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends!
    We have all heard about Shaktipeeths. Here is the story behind the Shaktipeeths. Raja Daksh was angry with his daughter, Sati or Parvati, for marrying Lord Shiva who always had ash smeared on his body. He decided to perform a yagna to which he invited all the deities except Shiva-Sati. Even though Lord Shiva dissuaded her, Sati decided to attend the yagna. At the yagna, Daksh insulted Lord Shiva. Sati then committed suicide by jumping into the yagna.

Lord Shiva was blind with fury when he came to know of Sati’s death. He promptly cut off Daksha’s head and replaced it with the head of a goat, and picked up the remains of Sati’s body on his shoulder and began his rudra tandav nritya. The world was on the verge of destruction and all the deities appealed to Lord Vishnu. He dispatched his Sudarshan Chakra which cut Sati’s body into pieces. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temples</st1:place></st1:City> came to be built at each site where these pieces fell. These temples came to be known as Shakti Peeths.
    As for Lord Shiva’s dance, He stopped when the deities told him that Sati was no more on his shoulder.

I would like to know how you liked this post. Do write back.

2. onemoreid

onemoreid New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing it.

Jai Mata Di!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear girl,
    nice post. thanks for sharing it.
    with love
    pad.

4. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Thank you onemoreid and Padmini for all the encouragement.:thumbsup

5. hritu

hritu New IL'ite

Parvati de vare vich taan mai bahut kuch jandi haan haan bt kadde kadde saadi informstion v kat kat hop jave taan ki kariye asi?mai taan saare vale e hi sochdi randi aan ka mai ki kara nahi taan kaade naal gal kara ka hore saaya vare vich maanu taan chai daak o mennu saare de vareya vich maan dea hove gaa.may be kade kade taan aho jiya galla taan daa koi vakh nahi honda e but sanu v taan kade taan dasanna pau ga ka mai ki kar na hagga e tan fir ote problem ho jau gi vadi gal taan ayojai hon di hagi e.tusi menu dass ka de vare vich saano hor kinve mallom haove gaa?jaan deva ni taaan ki kara ede vaare vich?

6. aahna

aahna New IL'ite

It is a true story so there is nothing to like or unlike this thing. Your faith comes directly from the heart. The Shakti Peethas are places of worship consecrated to the goddess 'Shakti', the female principal of Hinduism and the main deity of the<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference"></sup> Shakta Sect. They are sprinkled throughout the Indian sub-continent. This goddess is often associated both with Gowri or Parvati, the benevolent goddess of harmony, marital felicity and longevity, with Durga, goddess of strength and valour, and with Mahakali, goddess of destruction of the evil.

Do you appreciate with me about my answer to your question that how do you like my post?

7. charandeepkaur

charandeepkaur New IL'ite

Shaktipeeths in India are the abode of the Goddess of power. These places are regarded sacred by the innumerable devotees, both followers of Tantrik and Vedic rites. During special occasions such as navaratri, Durga puja or Kali Puja these Shakti Peethas are adorned to celebrate the occasion.The popular myth associated with the origin of Shaktipeeths in India is that, great Goddess`s Parvati killed herself in her father Raja Daksha`s yagna fire, in retaliation to bear the insults made to Shiva. Vishnu, the Preserver in the Hindu Trinity had cut up Sati`s body so that Shiva could resort to his daily duties again. Shaktipeeths developed on the places where the particular portion of the body fell to earth.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,
    I have been always fascinated by the shaktipeeths.

Just to add more, there are 51 shaktipeet that comprise of the 51 portions that the chakra cut the body of shakti.

some say that the 51 peet does form the srichakra..but i do not have any proof on that..

But some of the 51...

Kamakya - where the womb fell
    Katyayani- where the hair fell
    Jwalamukhi- where the tongue fell
    nainadevi - where the eyes fell
    Kanyakumari - where the shoulders fell
    mahamaya - throat
    kamakshi - the ornament that adorns the waist.
    Ambaji - heart
    Mangal chandika- right wrist
    Lalita at prayag- fingers
    kaalipeet- right toes..

so goes the places. and there are so many contradictions over the original places too ..some are in nepal,bangaladesh and srilanka too...

9. charandeepkaur

charandeepkaur New IL'ite

The devi or goddess is presented as fulfilling many different roles like at a rudimentary level, she is shown as a maternal village divinity, then as the wife of Shiva and in a relatively auxiliary mode as the wife of other great gods. These feminine figures cannot be truly understood without the attachment of the notion of shakti. The vedic word shakti which means "energy" designates the energy personified in the spouse of Indra, god of war and thunder who is the chief god in the vedic pantheon. The idea of shakti has been amalgamated with mythological images of female deities : it is conceived as a force field, a principle which enables a sensibilisation to the world for the supreme god, who is inactive without it.
    Who were Durga and Parvati. They were women. Inspite of knowing the truth many people feels women are inferior than man. They have forgot the past.
    Am I right or wrong?

10. hritu

hritu New IL'ite

I appreciate you charandeepkaur. You started a nice discussion. It is must to make the people know what importance we women have in this world. From the time of the beginning of the world the goddesses are worshiped. It is not only from today that we women are forced to feel that they are inferior than man. Women always suffered from the hate and regret of the cruel world. Its nice that you wrote what power a women have. Its just that they dont show it. I think we all should raise a voice against the world that we also have the right to walk shoulder to shoulder with man.

I want every lady in this forum to their views regarding this discussion.