1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Partying in the Noble way

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Suhaguru, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Suhaguru

Suhaguru Bronze IL'ite

Finest Blog Winner - Third Weekly Pick of June 2011

We had been invited to a birthday party recently. It was a moment to recall the discussion that I had with my DH before our daughter’s first birthday - Is it required to host birthday parties?

The various points that constituted our discussion:
    Arranging birthday parties for a one or two year old kid - does it really make the kid happy? We end up troubling them on a very special day in their life. They miss their sleep / feed routine. They have to wear the party dress which might not enchant them much. Also, kids of one year are not used to seeing many people at a time. It is a good learning for them to get accustomed to the normalcy of life – being amidst people. But it should be introduced in a slow and steady pattern. Most kids are confused by seeing so many people. Also, with the celebration around, noise is inevitable. This is also new to the kid. They tend to get confused and feel left alone. Certain kids start crying as well to express their resistance to the happenings. Aren’t we, as parents, supposed to avoid such happenings?

Another point to it is the expense involved for arranging these parties. Assuming an average 40-50 person party and cost of a buffet being Rs. 500, the food expense alone comes to around Rs.25,000 and with all the other expenses put together, the average spend would be around Rs. 35,000 to Rs. 40,000 each year. Why not utilize this money for some other noble cause. Donate it to some orphanage or old age home or some other community centric projects. This money can also be used to sponsor a child. It may also be done in the child’s name. By this way, we will be getting them the wishes from a needy soul which can go a long way in making the child’s life blessed.
    Due to this discussion, we haven’t arranged b’day party for our 4-year old daughter till now. Though, we couldn’t do anything great till last year (mainly bcos of our laziness to find the right option), we donated to CRY this year. We have decided to celebrate her birthday in the party way only if she asks us for it. Else, we would stick with the usual birthday routines (gifts, cake cutting, special breakfast / lunch / dinner, etc.) within the extended family.

I cannot draw any conclusion here as the choice is obviously on the individual’s perception. But leaving a small piece of information, thinking it might be useful :thumbsup. CRY has come with a special project for girl children who have suffered sexual assault. I heard from the volunteer that few of them suffer from severe physical abnormalities too (don’t have any senses working below their hip, etc.) It was really very sad to hear that kids are suffering pathetically for no fault of theirs. They have various options like sponsoring for their day to day expenses, education, etc.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

My Dear IL,

A very good idea to be welcomed. Instead of spending too much of money on party we can donate and do
    annadhaan which will really fetch happiness to our life.
    Many people are started doing this only. Still party
    conduction is also there. It is all depends upon individual mindset.

3. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Very sensible thought suha ...!!!!!!!!:cheers

Liked your blog so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

4. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi suha..
    Really appreciate your thoughts about lavishly celebrating kids birthday parties. Such an eye opening post this is, we could definitely do our part to the society on the occasion of ours kids birthday.

5. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

A nice one Suha...true that we can spend the amount which we spend for partying to a noble cause and we can have some satisfaction in life that we have done something good to somebody.

6. Suhaguru

Suhaguru Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILs,
    Thanks for all your comments. Feeling so great to receive positive feedback for my first blog:biglaugh

Regards,
    Suha

7. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

God Bless you for your noble act! You are right. The blessings and wishes which the needy recipients send your way are going to bless your DD's life.

8. Suhaguru

Suhaguru Bronze IL'ite

Thanks forgiven10

9. vijaya1982

vijaya1982 Bronze IL'ite

Dear suhaguru,

I agree with you! even i am also a person who dont like to celebrate birthday lavishly... with my personal experiences i had at my friend's kids parties.

vijaya

10. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very nice gesture Suha. I agree with your points!

People staying abroad might argue, these kind of Birthday parties are the only kind of social gatherings they have. But yes, its not a reason. They still can do a lot, instead of spending like this.

Another thing I hate the most is the office parties, get togethers and lunch/dinners.. It would be mostly in 4/5 star restaurants... and people order in bulk amount no matter whether they consume it or not, merely because its not them who 's goint to pay for it, but one individual scapegoat... And it would be in thousands for a single meal... Outrageous!

If at least 1% of them change their mind and spend the money for good cause instead of gaudy parties, then your Blog is a great success dear! You know what you just succeeded. I am not going to do those affluent parties! :)

ILT