Party Planning Ideas for Birthdays and celebrations!

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Singapore' started by Ramya2912, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I am planning to host a b'day party for my son who will turn 2 soon...i just wanted ideas on goodie bags..and where to buy them in sing..

thanks
    ramya:confused:

2 people like this.

2. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

Re: Suggestions Needed

hi ramya,

advanced bday wishes for your kid.
    try out this site
    welcome to the Kids Party

if yuo need to make the goodie bag by yourself then there is one whole section at the 4th floor of mustafa right from noise makers to party caps to.....just check it out.

regards:wave

3. vidhujagan

vidhujagan New IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Actually buying Goodie Bags or Making them one ur own depends on ur Budget.If u want to buy them seperatley then u can try going to

1.Careerfour(sonetimes they have goodies as a pack in offer price)
    2.Daiso(everthing is 2 dollars here)
    3.Value Dollar Shops(i think TOA PAyoh got a big one)
    4.Local Chinese Shops for Party Goodies near ur place itself.they can give u discount for bulk purchases.Becoz it is lot more cheap than mustafa.
    5.Gaint
    6.NTUC Homemart(I think u have one in BUkit Merah)
    7.BIG(in harbourfront... Now there is a Toy sale going on)

If u want to go for expensive stuff try in
    1.Kiddy Palace
    2.Toys 4 us

this is all i cud think of .

Keep me posted of any other details u require.

Vidya

3 people like this.
  4. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

thanks a lot friends..will check these out this weekend

5. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Planning a b'day party

Hi all,

I am planning to celebrate my son's 3rd b'day in a couple of weeks time.We plan to invite very few close friends around 16 adults and 5 to 6 kids ranging from 8 mths to 5 yrs.This year i am planning to cook myself so i have planned a menu please tell me if this is enough apart from th b'day cake which we r going to order at Prima Deli.
    The menu is a totally vegetarian fare:
    Soup (tomato or corn) with pepper pappad,
    starter : irani samosa/javarisi vadai/medu vadai,(anyone with pudina chutney)
    idli with sambhar
    mushroom biryani
    puri - chole
    cucumber raita
    potato fry
    potato chips,juices and icecream to be bought
    gulabjamun.

Please help me to finalise the menu.Also pls give suggestions on return gifts for the party and also to be given to his classmates.

Thanks in advance

6. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Re: Planning a b'day party

Hi Ramya,

First, my advanced B’day wishes to your precious child. May he be blessed with all the good things in life! Well, Even though I am not very good at conducting B’day parties but being a mom to two kids I have conducted / still conducting B’day parties at home. Out of my personal experience, I just want to share with you few things. Normally for menu’s I never mix up N.Indian & South Indian. For example- If I serve Idli/Sambar I avoid puri /briyani etc. Since both belong to two different families. Good Menu for kids B’day party would be (this is my personal choice) Puri/Chole/potato curry/ peas or veggie pulav (briyani would be too spicy & strong for an evening dinner) cucumber raita/curd rice & pickle. For the starters, Somosa is an Ideal thing! Plus you can add veggie pakoras, panner tikkas, pepper papad with some toppings over it. Vadas may be good but it will be soft & oily when you eat it late.

Then, For the return gift at your party you can give them Cd’s (slokas/ Barney/ Tom & Jerry etc.) along with a small goody bag with some toffees, biscuit sticks, stickers, gummy jelly etc. It all again depends on your budget! And for the school - colouring book, crayons & sticker book would be a great thing for pre schoolers. They simplyLove it.

Then, buy lot of plastic containers or the string bags. The leftover cakes or food can be given it to the guest (if they feel like taking). Games for the third B'day party may not go well, avoid TV & put music at your party let the kids play, jump & dance around. In short, Kids should have fun. Keep monitoring your child, feed him well before the party, seeing the crowd he may not feel like eating. So, don't force him...let him enjoy his day after all it his day!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. monikachawla

monikachawla New IL'ite

hello anushiv

very impressive,i liked ur advice very much,u have guided verywell. i m new over here,but next month i also have to celeberate my baby's first b'day,and i m inexperienced about celeberationg kids b'day,but i think ur advice can guide me verywell to do the planning.

thanks.

and
    dear ramya
    many many congratulaions for ur kids b'day in advance,may god bless him with happiness and success always.

cheers
    monika

8. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anushiv

Exrtremely sorry for the delayed reply.We had some net connection problem since last thursday and today with the help of star hub we came to know our spyware software was blocking the internet.
    Thanks a ton for your wishes and the elaborate reply.It has definetely helped in planning my menu about i am still yet to finalise it one more week to go. As per your advice i am plannin on making veg pulav instead of biryani and was thinking that vada wouldn't be a good option as it won't stay crispy (actuallu my vada's don't come out in proper shapes).Can u suggest me something which can be prepared overnight or may be in the morning so that i will have less thing s on my hand during the party as i don't have any help and DH is ......
    And yes we bought return gifts for his classmates from popular bookstore .a notebook,paper,pencil,rubber,sharpner and color pencils and will buy chocolates and other eatables later for the goodie bag.
    Once again thanks a ton for taking so much time and pain to guide me.

Monika,

thanks a ton for your wishes and advance wishes for your child's first b'day.

9. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Monika & Ramya,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!Your response made me to write more. I am not a party animal but I do often have & attend B’day parties & get-togethers at my place (esp. during navarathiri/deepavali/new year etc.). Believe me, every time I come across some hiccups. It is totally a learning experience.bonk

It all started with son’s first B’day, I did all the arrangements in ‘pakka’ but on that day ,I being busy in the kitchen had time to take care of the B’day boy.Throughout the day he was grumpy & finally when the clock struck 7 he went off to sleep. And later I realized my mistake, from that day onwards I give priority to my children. Whether I go out for a party or have a party at home, I will make sure that they are fed well & have sound afternoon sleep. At times, when I see other kids crying or being cranky at parties I feel sad for them.

My sisterly advice to you both ( hope you won’t mind!) on that day instead of slogging whole day in preparing for the party…Witsendtry to spend less time in the kitchen & more time with your child .For assistance, have a part-time maid for help. I am sure you can do all the cleaning & cooking in 5 to 6 hours time. And you too try to take a nap in the afternoon. Your face will be fresh, clean & suitable for make –up!;-)

Before ordering, a cake- count the number of heads. If you’re expecting around 25 to 30 people 1kg of cake is sufficient. Around 40- 50 =1-1/2 kg. More than 60 = 2kg & below 20 (including children) ½ kg will be correct amount!

Then, for the starters…deep fried items are always best saleable. Pakodas, samosas, spring roll, potato Bonda, cutlet etc. In Mustafa / shop N save etc., you get vegetarian mini samosas & spring roles you can buy those & deep-fry it (to save time)
    And from chitvish recipe, I would recommend cashew nut pakoda.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/5668-post69.html
    You can make it earlier & store in ‘air-lock’ container or tappa ware box. You can also try pasta salad. Something different & tangy in taste. Children will like it! For papad, topping you can put aloo chat or combinations of cucumber/carrot/onion/coriander salad... mix it with chat malasa & lemon juice.

If possible, try to stick on to the time. If you’ve invited your guest around 7pm. First, you get ready by 6.30pm.close the starter around 8pm. cut the cake before 8.30pm. & let the dinner be served from 9 pm on wards. Since it is a kid’s party, you can finish it around 10.30pm. Try to take pics with your entire guest for remembrance.

If you have good drawings/hand work made by your child at the school…display it & ask him to explain it.Give him a chance to speak out & express his feelings freely. And if you still have sometime for entertainment- give him a mike (even a toy one is fine) ask him to sing rhymes/slokas/bajans etc. what ever he knows well. This can help a child to break shyness & you can invite other children to participate in this mini-talent show.
    This can inspire your child & makes all parents happy & proud. Finally, at the end don’t forget to give return gifts to all the children.

Oops! I have written a lengthy post. Hope you are not bored with it!:hide:

By the way Ramaya, Chitra madam has given an excellent tip to make vada’s in proper shape. Pls. check out that.:cool2:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

We finally had my son's b'day party on saturday.Everybody had a great time.Thanks to anu for your suggestions.The menu also came out well.Attaching photos for u to have a look.