1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

parents trip to usa.. few doubts about wheel chair assistance

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by dimpy12, May 5, 2014.

1. dimpy12

dimpy12 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My parents are coming for my delivery , their tickets are booked.
    we have opted for a direct flight with an hour halt in delhi..
    They have opted for wheel chair for both mum and dad ..my mum is an arthritis patient and cant walk for much distance.

I have a question about the wheel chair service.. I have searched through other threads in IL but could not get proper info, so I am posting here..

my dad is a spontilitis patient and cant lift much weights..
    As they will get luggage allowance for 4 suitcases.. I am planning to make them bring 4 big suitcases.
    but I am wondering if he can lift them off the conveyer belt in India and after coming to USA.

will the wheel chair personnel help in luggage too? who should push the luggage cart? as both my parents will be sitting in wheel chair? what if they dont agree to help with the luggage , my dad would have to lift those heavy suitcases and put them on cart..

2 Other question is , should they ask for a assistance or will they approach them?will they accompany them till the exit?

Please help me with these doubts.. so that I can plan their trip properly

2. spm1

spm1 Senior IL'ite

I don't know which airport they are starting from, but I have seem helpers all around in Hyderabad airport and I believe it is the same in other airports too. You just have to ask them to help with luggage. Usually they come for help on their own, but if not, you can ask them too with the specific needs. You can give them some tip after the work is done.

I don't know about wheel chair assistance, but I assume, if a person is taking WC assistance, they usually help with luggage and other things too. This is just my assumption though.

WC assistance is provided from the entrance in airport (where you take boarding pass) to the flight doors. Again, from flight door to the exit (where you can come out to take a cab etc). Usually when the flight lands, they announce for those with WC to wait till everyone else leaves, so that they can carry them in WC without hindrance. They wait just outside the flight door with the WCs to pick them up.

In US, once you land, you can either ask the person carrying the WC for help with luggage or ask anyone standing around (who looks energetic) to unload the bags from the conveyor belt. Again, if the WC assistant helps with it (or even not), give tip after the work is done as a gesture of appreciation. I am not sure if anyone can help carry the luggage cart from there as I haven't seen any helpers in US other than WC assistants. Can your dad push the cart from baggage claim up to the exit? Or if he can just walk from there and ask the WC assistant to push the cart for him, that works too.

Last edited: May 6, 2014