1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents part in 'Extracurricular Activities'

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by smart_soul, May 4, 2010.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Working women/parents,
    How do you manage your time to take the kids to take part in some extracurricular activities? My mom always says an interest developed in the early childhood days will live and cherich forever. And a hobby developed before 35 certainly helps during old age. It is true to an extent, I believe.

The activity may be
    • Some music related (like vocal, instrumental)
    • Dance classes (Classical/Western)
    • education related (like Kumon, some other reading / writing classes)
    • Reading skills
    • Slokas/bible study etc. (Like balaGokulam)
    • Language related (like learning a different language)
    • Sports (Soft ball, cricket etc.,)
    • Swimming
    • Any other
    Your input will help others to manage their time and help see some avenues to build up/impart interest in the kids. Please write on how you manage your household chores on those days as well.

My DD is 21 months old and I take her to library story classes once a week. They call it a pajama story time. It works for me because they start at 7.00pm. I make arrangements for dinner either the previous night or before leaving to work in the morning and so this way, dinner is taken care of. Though she loves to run through the aisles in the library without wanting to sit for 45 minutes, but still she mimics all the rhymes they say and sometimes dances with them, sings, plays, etc. I say a few slokas everyday and she follows me on that. :). Similarly, with carnatic music, she co-sings with me on some songs with her baby words. I'm taking these as a cue to enhance those skills (well.. depending on the availability of the resources :))

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this info and tips!!!!