1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Parents/Inlaws Visiting US: Ideas to spend time interestingly.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Nov 12, 2007.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hello all,
    I think I am re-activating this thread after a long time.

1. Continue writing what your parents did when they were here.

I have 2 questions in this matter

1. If you are /were living in an apartment what did you do for bed. Old people cannot sleep on floor and cots cannot be accommodated in apartments.

2. How did you get in touch with other's parents visiting in your area ? In other words, if parents/in-laws have company of their age it must be so good. They can all go for walk or talk on phone. This is true especially in big cities..

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Nice thread. I live in independent house only. Recently my parents visited for my delivery.

I don't have sofa set, so i well planned to buy sofabed which was very useful in both way for sitting during daytime & sleeping during night time.

Both of parents slept on that for almost 5-6 months. They were watching tamil Programmes&serials in net & go for laundromat. Their presence was really a great help in all the way.

3. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

My mom is coming to help me thru the process. With a newborn in the house, I doubt whether there will be time for other stuff. I can only say she will be happy spending time with her child and her child's baby! :)
    Maybe after the baby is about 5-6 months will there be any time for other stuff.

I live in a house but guest room is on other floor. I'm yet to plan as to who will be where. I wouldnt tell my mom to wake up with me in the night for feeding, instead my husband will have to do it.

4. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

When both our parents are visiting they will be a companion for each other. Right now my grandmom is with us. I was initially worried that she will feel bored to be by herself. But she has hobbies like knitting/krocheting etc., I took her to hobby lobby and other places where she bought needles, yarn etc., and she knits whenever she is by herself. We have zee, star plus at home and she watches that too.

We live in a town house and my grandmom found difficult to climb the stairs. Sofa with hide-a-bed is really helpful. We take her out for shopping/parks etc., on weekends and we took a road trip to florida. She is being very co-operative and not complaining about anything, including weather.

So far she has made a scarf for me, a head band for my husband and a sweater for my daughter. Right now she is knitting a baby blanket for my neice. I'll upload those photos sometime.

Rithi

5. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi all,

am listing some of the ways my in laws were spending time when they were here.

1. online TV
    2. online magazine and newspaper
    3. walking
    4. browsing
    5. voice chat with some one in india
    6. if interested in shares they can watch the market activities

moms spend there time like
    1. watching TV.
    2. cooking normal
    3. experimenting new stuff
    4. walking
    5. hearing music
    6. doing voice chat

as we had a new born at that time most of the time went in taking care of the baby.

6. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

My Parents are visiting this month. I'm so excited and kinda worried how to make their visit pleasant and happy.They were in my bro's place till now (for about 2 months) and my dad is already bored.
    Now here we (me and my DH) both work FT and they r going to stay all by themselves in the day time...have no clue how to get them engaged in activities.

we are trying to have Indian channels on TV - that might kill may be 2-3 hrs.

what about rest of the time? 'm not worried about mom as she talks to relatives in India for a while and does some kind of timepass...problem is with my dad.

I have seen some nice ideas posted by people but still need some more.

we have a park close to our apt complex so may be they can go for walk.
    I'm still not aware of the apt complex well as we moved in recently if they are any Indians.
    How do we get to know people staying in the complex.I think there is one family downstairs just below our apartment who is Indian (saw rangoli before their house) but how do I contact them? (I mean to say is it ok to just knock the door and introduce...doesn't look weird?)

This is my parents first visit and 'm kinda :bonk to make it pleasant.

Please help!

7. Ish84

Ish84 New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

Thank you for wonderful suggestions. I am looking forward to my parents or in-laws next visit to entertain them.

I was new to this town when they all visited us last year. I got my license around their visiting time. Actually they had been here couple of times since my hubby has been in same town for almost 10 years. So nothing much to entertain or take around kind of thing. But due to certain reasons we had to move in between their visit. So it made things lot more easier for us. Plus, all advice from in laws helped me a lot in settling down. Moving and settling in new house took care of 1 month of their visit. After that we had to get a new car for me..that took care of 15 days of research n everything.Later I took them to one of our relatives place for a week. Then we had a housewarming party so again they had fun cooking and meeting everyone. We all went to Chicago and nearby cities for day trips.

It was fun. Also, took them for shopping almost every alternate day.But at end of 3 months I was done with mall.

Also, Don't you think kitchen work increases when your family comes ? I have had friends staying with us and it was not a big deal.But with family coming I feel half my day goes in kitchen cooking n cleaning. What do you all think ?

Takecare,
    Ish84