1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Immigration.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by jmsd, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Hi all

I am keen to know if it is possible to get your parents visa if you are on a H1 visa in the US.

I am writing this because my brother (who is on very good terms with me) is on H1 visa in the US.
    His wife shifted with him on a H4 visa with him within a very few days of marriage and currently has a H1.

My parents are a difficult set to live with.Though in the US they are on their best behaviour( I guess US extorts good manners out of people ;)

My brother has always cited that because of their being in their late 60s it would not be possible to get a med insurance for them ,which appears to be totally true to me.
    So they live with me which is great if you consider their security and comfort but definitely not so great considering their nature.

I was wondering here if it really is an issue or am I being taken for a ride by my brother.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

They would not be able to move permanently to the US due to your brothes visa status. He would need to be a US citizen for that. Visitors visa is possible but the medical insurance can be challenging.

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Your parents can go in visitors visa and can easily get visitors medical insurance . Do your parents have any critical illnesses? If thy are healthy , thee is no reason why they will not be given visa or medical insurance . But at a time they cannot stay more than 6 months .

4. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Wouldn't it be great if you and your brother could take turns to look after your parents? If that's the case then you can have a break from your mother. All the best.

5. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

They used to visit him earlier when he was single and after a month or so he was thoroughly irritated esp with my mother.
    But i guess now after his marriage he is too apprehensive to invite them even for a short visit as his wife is pretty combative by nature.
    The idea that he himself is doing all the cooking cleaning in addition to managing everything else might not go well with my parents.
    But at the same time I am getting extremely suffocated in my own house.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op ,if your parents children find them difficult to live with,how can it be easy for their dil/son in law/ to live with them?

If your parents are in their sixties,they can easily live by themselves for at least 10 years on their own provided they have no big health problems. Later on both you and your brother should take care of them .It could be by taking turns or by arranging for them to live close to any one and both helping financially.

Parents are young enough to learn that they need to change if they want to enable their children to be able to take care of them.

3 people like this.
  7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

If your parents are in good health there is no need for them to live with their children. It can be tough for parents to live with their adult children (= different lifestyle, noisy grandchildren, obnoxious dils/son-in-laws etc ;) so for them it can be much better to have their own home.

8. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Like I said my mother is extremely diplomatic around her DIL. And I had posted years ago she keeps my husband extremely happy.
    She is a smart woman.
    As far as health concerns are concerned,they have a few.
    But more importantly,in my part of India,the law and order situation is extremely bad and old couples regularly targeted.My father was mugged too.
    Despite all the hell my manipulative mother raises for me I guess depression due to loneliness in old age is a major "mental"health concern.

Yes I am trying to find a house for them in near vicinity to mine but that is a project with a lengthy timeline.

9. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

encourage ur brother and ur parents for visit of ur parents to brother's place....a break will do gud to u , to ur mother, to all...

10. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Any how the whole idea of this thread is to get a clue about my parents immigration.
    Not the other nitty gritties