1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parent's Envy; Parent's Pride?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Rihana, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All parents love their child and appreciate the child for what she is. It is human to do so. It is also human to envy.

Have you ever felt envy when another parent's child accomplishes something, reaches a milestone or has some admirable characteristic or habit, that your child doesn't? If yes, do share what it was about and how you handled it.

If you have never-ever cross-on-heart felt the briefest of pangs of such envy, good for you. We believe you, we really do!
    Thread is a confession one. Please feel free to confess (and atone?), but please no pravachanas (preachings) on how "envy is bad for the soul, and love your child" .....

5 people like this.

2. Rihana

When my kids were babies/toddlers, I remember worrying about their nutrition and health. Well, not exactly... :) It was more about weight. I served them good food, followed good food habits, but they remained thin thin thin. I used to envy parents with chubbier babies. No amount of my favorite pediatrician telling me a healthy child is more important than a "plump" one, helped.

It went away with time. :)

sindmani, rmpriya, Mindian and 4 others like this.
  3. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

--When other kids in wal-mart sit calm like stuffed dolls on the shopping cart...while mine jumps like a monkey form my head to the cart...to my back and hangs on to my leg and sometimes tries hanging form racks knocking all the items form there. i wished he be like them...but later...i feel bored if he is like that.

--when others kids go to day care silently...while mine pulls my shirt buttons open...makes a fuss.....and does drama (just like me ;) ...hell...i cant make lite of this even if i try...feel bad for him...overomce? nope not yet...can never i guess.

--when i see other kids playing together....and mine standing in a corner ..playing alone and starts crying the moment he sees me when i go to pick him up...wish he felt comfortable n mingling like other kids. overcame? nope not yet...hopefully soon.

sindmani, jignasha27, deraj and 7 others like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Its just been 14 months since my dd is born and so, I haven't come across real envy. But once when I was returning from india, there was a girl of my dd's age sitting next to me on her mom's lap. At that time, they both were only 8 months old.
    When her mom opened a magazine and asks her to point out watches, lipstick, pens etc...the 8 month old was actually pointing. At that time I felt envy as mine was no where closer to doing that.

How did I overcome? I did two things...one was instantaneous, that baby was crying for 12 hours out of a 14 hour plane ride. I thanked heavens that mine didnt even say a boo in all those 14 hours...lol

secondly, I realized that mine was not pointing out simply because I was not teaching my 8 month old anything as I felt she was too young. Slowly I started teaching her.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Confession thread ....so here goes mine
    All of the above(Rs and Ns)
    + Each time I hear from some kids how they would love to go skiiing,or to a beach or hiking .When I ask my kids what they would like to do for their winter /spring/summer break....the best they come up with is "Lets all stay home and watch Sponge Bob":bonk.

Sure there are more...Monday mornings arent the best for my foggy brain..will clear soon I hope and will post more!

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Rihana
    Cool thread....I am still smiling.....its envy....envy and more envy all the way....but mine have gone big.....so moms/ dads do mature, moreso no hair left to pull off!
    Mega

2 people like this.
  7. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

My daughter is 5 years old. I have seen many girls her age, they have that shine or glow on their faces. Where as my daughter has light circles under her eyes and when ever I compare her face it looks a bit dull. I wish she also glowed and shone.

She is super active and an intelligent girl though!!

I do my best with the food she eats and try to put her to sleep for enough number of hours... but I don't know what the reason is for the dullness and the light circles under her eyes ?

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

I couldnt stop laughing :) thats just so cute.

3 people like this.
  9. Rakhii

Some kids are just like that...I guess you are doing everything you can.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Oh my.. I am so surprised at the frank confessions. I really thought people would say it is not right to envy and each child is special and all that... Glad I was wrong!

Naksh, I can identify with one of the three you posted. It is a combo of envy and ache combined to go thru that. It is such an Achilles heel thing (?) right now for me, I don't even want to say which one.