1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents and In-Laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by TwilightStar, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TwilightStar

TwilightStar New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am new to this community and need some advice. I delivered my second child in November. I called my parents from India to help me with the baby. My in-laws also stay with me. We have separate rooms for all of us. My MIL works and FIL is retired. My parents look after my daughter the whole day while I am at work. My MIL keeps advising all the time about how to take care of the kids and also keeps telling me about how to raise them. Her constant advice is sooo annoying. :bang
    She feels she is just perfect. She has taken charge of my older son who is 5 years old. While it is good so that I can take care of my daughter but I feel she is spoiling him. Also, she is does not cook basic things.. My mother tries to make rotis and boil daal so that when my MIL comes from work, she makes daal and vegetable. But last night she did not even do that. My mother tries to help her out in kitchen inspite of taking care of my daughter the whole day. It is tiring.

Help!

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

can u and ur H come forward in planning fixed chores for mil, u and ur mom and men at home, so that there will be no confusion, and all work load doesn't go to one or two people.

may be morning BF + coffee by u, night cooking mil, lunch by ur mom as she stays at home in the afternoon, all can cook big quantities and save in refrigerator, for busy days

ur H can take care of one kid after coming from work and u can take care of one kid and u four can spend time together while giving bath to kids, and playing/spending with kids so u can give break to ur mom.

2 people like this.
  3. MULLAI62

MULLAI62 Platinum IL'ite

Dear friend,
    First I like to tell you , do not expect the advice as you like.I can not give that. I want to give you the advice which will solve your problem.

What you have written is nothing when compare with the other problems. If you are little stronger you can easily come over this.

Inlaws domination is more. Am I right? Its quite rare if they do not dominate. So take it easy. They did not become your parents still they are inlaws. Thatsall.

Its painful to see our parents like that. Reason is your attachment with your parents. Take it in the positive sense. Your mother is providing food to your MIL who is working there.The problem is you are asking yourself, when our mother is cooking how she could sit? No. It makes the situation worse. We have to face each other next moment. Rt? If we leave it, automatically she will change.

Then you have mentioned, she is spoiling your son. Its not like that. The way she handling may be different from yours. Leave it. he is child. We should not confuse. When the time comes we can tell him what is good and what is bad and do & donts.

You have not mentioned that they are insulting, shouting like that. So if you dont mind automatically the situation change. Then our parents came here for temporary. So instead of the part of the problem, be the part of the solution.

Whatever you do the damage is on both sides. Hurted people only hurt others. Be the heal rather be hurting.

Count your blessings. Be positive. Be grateful to god when compare with the people worse than us. Thats wise.

As Deepak Chopra said, what you expect, give that first.You will get twice you give.

Silence and patience are more powerful weapons. Kindly have that. Because once the relationship is broken , very difficult to paste.

The arrows coming out of the row, and the words coming out of mouth, will never go without damaging the aimed.

So just think over. Nothing to worry. Keep your mind positive, present, calm & quiet.

Just ignore if i am wrong.

2 people like this.
  4. TwilightStar

TwilightStar New IL'ite

Thank you for the replies, I agree with you Mullai62. However, it is a stressful environment at home and resulting into low milk supply. I am trying to breastfeed my daughter but I have a very low milk supply inspite of trying all the things in the world to increase my milk supply. I have tried fenugreek, mothers milk tea, lactiful tablets, etc,....

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Your baby is almost 3 months old. And it is your second baby. Which probably means you are somewhat recovered from your delivery and progressing to be normal.
    As per your post, your mother takes good care of your child. So, you are free from that end; hence you can concentrate well.

Now, your MIL and others at home are working. So, they will be probably tired after coming home; hence need rest.
    Your mom will also be tired, provided she takes care of the child all day along. Again, MIL and mom are old age people, who can easily get tired according to their age.

It is your home, your child and you are the one who needs help. Accept whatever the available help from anyone who could offer to you.

If MIL cooks some side dish, take it as a support. If mom looks after the kid, and cooks something, then that is great.
    See what FIL could complement from his end.

But you are the one along with your husband for the overall works to be done at your house. You are not a patient, you don't need special care or special rest just because you delivered a child.

So, get up. Help your mom at kitchen. Help your MIL when she comes back from work.
    Give some breaks to your mom as she is supporting you very much.

Bring your husband to share the chores with you. Probably he would be happy to help you out at the kitchen, rather than helping your mother.

If at all, you can't manage, hire a paid helper.

Don't expect elders to do so much, just because you have delivered a kid.

4 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...there are six adults in the house and two small children to be looked after.

Your mom is taking care of children (with your father's help I think) and cooking.She needs a bit of help from some one.

Your mil is working and coming back and making dinner...she is doing her bit.

You are working and I am assuming coming back and helping out mil at home with dinner and your mother by taking care of child....So you are doing your bit.

Your husband goes to work,comes back.....he needs to be given some work. Let him do something like laundry ,bathing the older child and putting the child to sleep.

The two grand fathers should take care of the older child between them .Give them children's books to read to your child,toys to engage the child. They should take turns to take the child to the park,play school...thus reliving some workload from your mother.

On weekends...look to make brunch instead of breakfast and lunch.
    Once of twice a week....order food at home thus giving every one a break.

There are three people earning in the house with three paychecks. Engage a maid or weekly cleaning service for house cleaning.

Ignore your mil's childrearing advice...neither you nor she is the regular care giver.As long as she is not giving the advice to your mother,just ignore.Like you ,she is also a working women and may be a bit off at the end of the day.

5 people like this.
  7. TwilightStar

TwilightStar New IL'ite

Thank you so much for all the responses. I am doing every little bit after going home. Just that I dont have a lot of time between helping and feeding my new born. DH also helps out. But the constant stressful atmosphere is a bit overwhelming. I understand in laws and parents can never be on same page as they are old and it is a wrong expectation to begin with on my part. They both are set to their own lifestyle and their way of thinking. But I think I should take it easy. It is not as bad as it sounds. I think I can manage things better.

Thanks to everyone!

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

6 adults, 2 kids and you are a working mom. Just reading about it gives me the shivers.

1 person likes this.
  9. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

same here....

10. MULLAI62

MULLAI62 Platinum IL'ite

Dont worry twilightstar. Nothing to worry about it. You have tried each and every way for your child . As a mother you are doing your duty. Then whats there to stress. No dear. My sister in law is very healthy and conscious about her health always. She was also delivered a baby in Newjercy. U dont believe me even a single drop of breast milk was not there. What do you say for that.
    Something is not in our hands.We cant whatever science we have. Thats gos power. So dont take it serious. From the day1 she was giving bottle food.Now Aadhithi is great.
    Your child also become great. Dont stress yourself. I will pray for you.
    Do your duty leave the rest to God.
    Bye.