1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting tips to discipline kids

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by viki123, Jun 12, 2015.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

I was initially planning on posting as a reply to “ Rude bloggers....Qw” thread in Parents & Siblings forum, but that thread went into another direction about racial discrimination.
    I am not supporting the blogger here, but her first point is valid that parents should be responsible for controlling kids in public places. I personally had experience with such naughty kids.
    Once I along with another friend was staying as PG, that lady had 2 kids 7 years Girl and 4 years boy. One day we went to kohl’s and they came along with us. Her son gave a tough time to us that we felt embarrassed at the store, and she said this is the reason why I don’t take them out for shopping or parks.
    At that time I did not think much and thought kids would be like that. Now as a mother of 1 year old kid, if I think what should I do if my son does something like this? How should I discipline him? I am clue less.
    It would be nice if experienced mothers share some tips/experiences on how to handle these situations that would be help full for me and other new mothers.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I do not believe in disciplining the child. The most important thing is prevention, see that that the child is fed, not too bored etc. If the child starts to behave badly you take him/her away from the situation and (depending on the age) explain that you cannot kick the seat/throw the food etc.

2 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Yes. Parents are responsible for their kids' behaviour. while there might be exceptions when a child needs special care, most children can be taught what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.

It is important to set limits for the child. From a young age we need to enforce it. When my daughter pulled our hair or hit us at 8 or so months, we would calmly hold her hand and say "that hurts" or "we don't do that." She stopped very early. Kids are eager to please us. So if we praise good behaviour and firmly resist bad behaviour, we will have a well behaved child.

Like crayoness says, it is important to prevent tantrums we can. Making sure the child is well fed and rested is very important. Then comes keeping the child engaged. The best thing I did was introduce books to my child from the time she was born. She can look at books and be entertained by them for hours. Take toys (silent ones ) to restaurants; snack to the supermarket in case the child feels peckish seeing all the food. Be consistent at all times. Say your child wants a juice carton while you are in thw supermarket, instead of giving it immediately and paying later, say he will get it once you have paid for it. From when my child was 2, she would hold an ice cream in hand but wouldn't even taste it until she was sure I paid the cash. If we are consistent in setting and enforcing boundaries, the child is bound to learn.

When there is unacceptable behaviour, we need to let them know. Giving them an alternative should keep a tantrum at bay - Instead of "don't write on the wall", " we only write on paper; let me get you a sheet." Instead of "stop running!", "could you walk please? " and so on.

They will test their boundaries; we need to consistently enforce them. I find giving one warning and then a timeout helps reinforce the lesson. Of course some days are worse than the others and in those days where everything is a battle, I have to carefully choose my battles or my child would spend the entire day in timeout!

Something I just do not agree with is when people say, boys will be boys. There is no reason for boys to be allowed to go scot-free. Yes; they do get a boost of testosterone now and again and are very different from girls. However I have seen way too many excellently brought up boys for this excuse to be used for poor parenting...

7 people like this.
  4. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

disciplining the children is the very hard task. I have two children. I first kid is smooth going, helping, kind, and listen to me. but my young one very naughty, short tempered, always fighting with others. I treat both of them a like but why the difference in the behavior? it is unexplainable.

2 people like this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I agree with the above posters :)

Also, ensure that they are not hungry, tired, cranky, sleepy etc when you take them out to public places.

Always feed younger kids (less than 2 years old) home food BEFORE going to a restaurant or a mall or anyone's house for a party or dinner - they may or may not eat there, full stomach means lesser tantrums and you can concentrate on your own food and enjoy the outing!!

If the kids are above 3, you can tell them BEFORE going out - "This is your budget/allowed items - you are allowed to pick up a toy/book/chocolate/icecream/pen in the 2nd shop we visit"

When you go out for a long evening, ensure you have some milk or rice or bread at home when you come home tired - as soon as you come home, you can feed something to the baby quickly so that they go to sleep without getting cranky!

Always ensure that your child has a nap and food before your guests arrive at your home - especially if the party is for your child's birthday!!

(I myself eat some food/have a protein drink BEFORE any party of mine - because once the guests arrive, we need to be alert and active and in good mood)

4 people like this.
  6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Every child has his/her own basic personality like shy, high spirited, easy going type

Your boy seems high spirited personality where as your girl seems is easy going type. I too have high spirited boy, it is tough .

1 person likes this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

How cute, she thinking it is mine I will eat once we are out.

8. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

no mam u r mistaken by boy is easy going and the girl is were naughty

9. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

my first one is a boy and always like a girl child thinking that they will be smooth and calm but after my second baby(girl) I change my opinion now a days boy child is better to be maintained then girl child.

10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

There is no gender difference in this area. Children are different, some have more temperament than others. My first (girl) and third child (boy) was very lively, started to walk very early, climbed like small monkeys and talked non-stop. My second and fourth child (girl and boy) are again calmer (but when they rarely got angry then it was like an explosion!), they could sit with their toys/books for hours. Now as adults they are still very different.

That is why you need to know your child and prepare in advance how to keep them occupied during travel and other situations.

4 people like this.