1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting A Profoundly Gifted Child!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nuss, May 27, 2021.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Happy to share @Angela123. I am firm believer that all a child needs is the right stimulus to for growth and they shine. I am sure you are doing amazing things as a mom - please do share them here. Like I mentioned ealrier, mine are grown up but all of you can share yoru current status and that helps me understand as well.

I will be happy to provide creative ideas for your child if you need any, any time. I teach about 8 subjects between the grades 3 and 8, so!!

But like I said, young mothers sharing here will help everyone :)

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Totally +1 that!

nuss, Angela123, deepthyanoop and 2 others like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@Srama Any tips for infants? Like I have heard that reading stories to them regularly helps in building a good vocabulary. Is there anything else you would recommend ?

I know it’s a bit too much and too early. But wouldn’t every parent want their kids to be smart & intelligent and excel in their studies & career :grinning:

4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

This is such an informative thread. I'm learning a lot from the thread. Thank you Nuss for this..

I don't want to spend much time in IL and I refrain from commenting on most threads but come here to take a peek on what useful thing is shared in this thread.

5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I started reading to both my kids when they are tiny babies. Old one was not great at reading when she started school. But she loves books and her reading scores are constantly increasing after every test. We don’t push her to read or take extra classes. She loves creating stories. She writes effortlessly. We do bedtime stories.

nuss, Srama, shravs3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @shravs3 , You seem to be doing the reading part already :) I also love the idea of exposing infants to some good music - I did that with my kids. not just nursery rhymes and stuff but some classical music as well.

But, honestly all I want to say right now is enjoy your bundle of joy. As the child grows, you will be able to identify and nurture as needed.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @nuss,

I knew that something was nagging at me that I had slipped addressing from your original post and it was this -
    I do think children are very observant, hear and see things and understand all the labels placed around them by the adult world. Our school district has an integrated preschool program where kids with learning difficulties are placed very early to help bring them to mainstream - it was fascinating to watch my own kids understand other kids even when they were as young as three. I think it is important to not shy away from discussing difficult topics. Children while they process that there is something different about them, do not understand what exactly that is. So it becomes a fine balancing act - how to talk about it all, yet keep it realistic, helping and teaching them to keep grounded.

Alos, it helps to remember that this journey for both the children and parents is not a sprint but a marathon!

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    deepthyanoop and nuss like this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Srama! I totally agree, kids are very observant! We talk about difficult topics like race, color, religion/atheism, same-sex marriage (mostly conversations started by my daughter because one of her friends has 2 moms!) but I have not openly mentioned gifted ness with my kids. I think I am just worried that they might think they are better? I don’t know! Sometimes my daughter will come from school and say- “mommy, do you know my friend doesn’t know how to add so I helped her.” I try to just respond normally and say- well, that’s nice that you helped but you might let her learn herself. Remember, when you don’t know how to do things, you learn and then you get better.
    Even when my son had his evaluation, I just mentioned that it is a test like MAP to see which school would be better suited for you in the next grade. And then I casually mentioned that your teacher thinks you should go to this other school where they do more projects that you like. I just haven’t used the word “gifted” but tried to explain what is going on.

I would like to hear your way of bringing these topics up as a parent. Please do educate me when you have time.

shyamala1234 and Srama like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Two senior members of the Football club in car went out surveying the city boys and boys in villages in the neighbourhood.

One of them seen a boy stopping into the bin near a dust bin that was overflowing with left over food. He drew the attention of the other to this boy and the stray dogs that surrounded him. The boy kicked his legs in such a way that dogs could not overpower him and seen that dogs were kicked afar.
    They decided to adopt that orphan boy and trained him to play football.
    He turned later a champion and kicked goals that won for the club the world cup.
    Guess the name of the footballer.

10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Srama. Sure I will introduce music as well :blush:

nuss, Anusha2917 and Srama like this.