1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parentified Indian Children/sons

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Reena26, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

Is this common in Indian culture? Where from a very young age when children are not old enough to understand - they are made to feel responsible for adult or family problems of their parents? This has happened to my spouse his whole life by his mother. Now we are raising our son - he realizes he was abused. And my family - they never did this to me or my brother as kids. I feel angry for my spouse and his pain.

2. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

it depends, @Reena26- are you born and raised here or india.

3. Patientone

Patientone Silver IL'ite

You’re lucky he realised he was abused. My MiL did that with both her sons. It’s not normal human behaviour.

4. AliceMargaret

AliceMargaret Senior IL'ite

Hi @Reena26 - In my case, it is slightly different - Myself and DH are from south india (AP); DH's parents taught him that being the eldest son, it is his responsibility to care(financially) for them in their old age; to fund his sister's (lavish) marriage; or to pay the tution fees for his brother.
    My parents on the other hand, never put such burdensome expectations on my brother (though he is the eldest son to my parents).
    DH did for the most part of his, cater to his parents financial expectations, but it dawned on DH that he was simply being used as a cash cow, when he had to repay his educational loan with interest (after nearly 7 years of completing his Masters degree). DH came to UK to pursue his masters degree (with an education loan) and while studying, he would regularly send money he earned working parttime jobs. DH worked himself to the bone to send money to his parents; but they never bothered to pay a single penny towards his education loan.

Kind Regards,
    AM

5. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you. I consider myself to be a logical thinking person so I know I am correct. Especially as I myself am raising a son. I guess it’s the culture or society that allows the elders to get away with it. I come from one that punishes elders for abusing children this way. The way I see it I chose to bring life into this world. My spouse and I chose my sons shelter and where to send him to school. I choose what I feed my family. So my son is not responsible for things he cannot control. Where I live, if you fail to provide food, water, shelter, education, emotional and psychological care on top of moral education more recently..you can lose your parental rights. I just know his parents are highly narcissistic and they tried to do the same on my son in his early days. They were trying to manipulate my four year old into believing he was responsible for the emotional care of his grandparents instead of the other way round. A child. My sons love for his dad is unconditional. For who his father is as a person not the lifestyle he furnishes on my son. His kindness, humility and compassion. That cancels out his parents wrong thinking.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022