1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Parent Teacher conference in USA experience

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do not take appointment with social worker. Surprise is the key. Do you know for sure the meetings are for organizational skills and not behavioral treatment?

Do not let your son meet any adult when you are not sure for what he is meeting her, even in a school setup.

1. Do not say anything to teacher, school or social worker or your child. Just find out when is next meeting, which room it takes place in.
    2. Walk in to the meeting a few minutes after it starts, and say that you are going to sit a little away and observe. Don't say what you are going to observe.
    3. If social worker does not allow you to be present, ask her to give in writing that it is not allowed and that she is canceling the meeting for that reason.
    4. When the meeting is over, ask your child to wait outside. Ask the social worker what the meetings are for, and firmly ask to look at any folders and documents she has.
    5. Go to the school office, and ask to look at all of your son's records, including the paperwork for this social worker meeting.
    6. As mentioned earlier by another poster, find out who else meets this social worker. What happens in those meetings.

OP, please do not let your child attend any meetings or anything in school other than his classroom teacher or grade teachers without knowing why the meeting is happening, and what is being done in those meetings.

If you do surprise the social worker at the next meeting, it would help to have your husband or a friend outside. To call in as witness or to keep an eye on your child as he waits outside and you talk to the social worker.

3 people like this.
  2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

What kind of social worker is this that is coming through the school? I don't know what is common in CT but here in NY the social workers that are in the schools are there to investigate problem homes so they can take some intervention (like putting kid in foster home, forcing alcohol counselling on parents, etc.). Find out what this social worker is....important. You don't want social services on your backs....it can get really bad. If this is some special ed type person that is employed by the school then that is ok or some mental health or learning disability person also employed at the school...these are also ok.

2 people like this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana: Very well said, m'dear. I wish I could like your post a 100 times.

OP, Social worker intervention is not at all common in such a case. Did you look at the parent student handbook? did you check their rules for this type of incident?

Dont accept their explanation so easily. Situation has moved beyond the original incident. So checking with your son is not the answer. Now the issue is what the school and social worker is planning to do.Ask the questions and educate yourself. I agree with Tashi -- dont allow the social services to get into the picture. Please dont delay this further. Act now. There is a reason why your signature was needed on that paper. Please try to educate yourself on what is happening in this situation and take measures. The laws in this country is such that once the machinery gets going it is very hard to stop or abort.

2 people like this.
  4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Actually OP, on further thought I dont think you will be able to just walk in to the classroom and the social worker as was suggested...depends on the school layout but most of the private schools I know strictly limit visitor access to main office only. What you can do is call up the principal, and tell her you dont know what is in the paper you were made to sign and that you have changed your mind. You are withdrawing permission for the social worker to talk to your son till you get a better understanding of the situation. If she start explaining cut her short and take an appointment to meet her in person. Go to that appointment with your h, and be very formally dressed. And there ask the questions, understand the ramifications etc. You can also request to see your son's records file and go over it with her at that meeting also. Best of Luck!

2 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP,

Adding to the previous posts and also responding to your first post

- The principal cannot tell you on the phone that the other mom is angry and if behavior repeats, your son will get suspended. Suspension or other action can only be taken if rules that your child and you know ahead of time were broken. The other mom or her son being upset is not your problem or your child's. In the future, if you receive such a call, pause, and be calm and ask for specifics like what school rule your child has not followed. Do not, repeat, do not, accept or acknowledge any fault of your child. Do not say things like, 'Yes, I've talked with my child, and he said...' Do not volunteer more info than you have to.

- The teacher initially did link the social worker meeting to that incident. Only when you said it is resolved, she brought up the organizational skills. I think that organizations skills is bull, almost every 5th grader in the country is disorganized.

- The principal did not walk in to the room just like that. It was to ensure you have signed that paper.

- Did they give you a copy of what you signed? You have a right and should insist on knowing - what is the meeting for? who the social worker reports to? when is the end date of meetings? And so on. And most importantly, how you can withdraw your child from meetings.

- I would be wary of even special ed or mental health workers working with a child unless pediatrician has recommended it, and the meetings are taking place after getting the child formally tested, and second/third opinions sought.

- When you go to meet the principal or social worker or teacher, go with your husband. There is strength in numbers. If he cannot make it, take a friend along. She can wait outside if they don't allow her in the meeting or conversation, but just another person being there counts.

Your doubts and feelings of uncertainty are common among Indians living in the U.S. We are not at all familiar with the procedures and rules. Just remember from now on to be careful in such situations like phone call from principal and signing documents. You can always tell the principal you would like to talk in person or that you need to conference your husband into the call. Signing documents - always bring them home, and go over.

One last thing - a smiling or not-smiling teacher does not mean anything. Don't take a not-smiling teacher as a sign of anything, and don't take a smiling teacher as a sign of things being alright.

Just be careful, think and act. Be calm. There are laws in place and schools are subject to those, though private schools have more leeway and are less subject to scrutiny.

2 people like this.
  6. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I have no inputs to give but wanted to mention that parents new to this system will benefit from this thread. Appreciate OP for bringing up a sensitive matter like this.