1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Panchagavya

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by royans, Jun 17, 2008.

1. royans

royans New IL'ite

Hi, Does anyone know where Panchagavya can be sourced in Chennai? It is supposed to be an organic pesticide as well as a growth promoter. I have found two places ... Greenlands and CIKS in Chennai that are supposed to sell this product. I've been trying to get it from them for the past few weeks, but in vain. Will keep trying... if anyone else knows of some other place selling it, would appreciate it, if you could share that information. Thanks, royans.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi royans,

I am also interested in the Panchagavya.And I am trying to contact green lands. Will keep you informed. In case you come across any dealers do keep us posted as it will be useful to others

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Royans,

Had got a reply from green lands..this is what they say...

Generally we make panchakavya only on a made to order basis, we have very minimal stock. If you can let me know the quantity, I would confirm availability
    I don’t have any dealers anywhere in Chennai. You can pick it up in Chennai.

4. royans

royans New IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Glad that some one else is also interested in this product! I don't think many people buy it and hence the low availability. I've placed my order with Greenlands and have given them my contact details... they said it will be ready by next month... hopefully they deliver!

I'm also behind the people at CIKS. They keep making me call every week. See if you have any luck with them. The Panchagavya has to come from the Chinglepet office to Kotturpuram.
    CIKS ( Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems)
    30 (old no. 47C) gandhi Mandapam road, Kotturpuram, Ch - 85
    Kotturpuram office 2447 1087
    Chinglepet office 2743 0625

Yet to find another dealer.

Umm.. this message might appear as one contiguous text... I'm not sure how the formatting has to be done. I really must find out.

Thanks,
    royans.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Royans,

If not too intruding, do you have an idea about the cost and also how much is the minimum order.

I have a roof garden.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Some more info: Hope this is helpful!

How to Make:
    In Sanskrit, Panchagavya means the blend of five products obtained from cow. (All these five products are individually called ‘Gavya’ and collectively termed as ‘Panchagavya’) It contains ghee, milk, curd, cow dung and cow’s urine. Panchagavya had reverence in the scripts of Vedas (devine scripts of Indian wisdom) and Vrkshyurveda (Vrksha means plants and ayurveda means health system). The texts on Vrkshayurveda are systematizations of the practices the farmers followed at field level, placed in a theoretical framework and it defined certain plant growth stimulants; among them Panchagavya was an important one that enhanced the biological efficiency of crop plants and the quality of fruits and vegetables (Natarajan, 2002).

For making approx. 20 litres of panchagavya you need the following:
    * Fresh cow dung - 5kg
    * Fresh cow’s urine – 3 litres
    * Cow’s milk – 2 litres
    * Cow’s curd – 2 litres
    * Cow’s ghee – 500 gms
    * Jaggery – 500 gms
    * Water or sugarcane juice - 3 litres
    * Ripe banana fruit - 1 bunch (12 nos.)
    * Tender coconut water – 3 litres
    * toddy – 2 litres
    (If toddy is not available, you can ferment 3 litres of tender coconut water by keeping it in a pot for 1 week. That will become toddy. )

Method of preparation:
    * Take 5 kgs of fresh cow dung and mix it thoroughly with 500 gms of cow’s ghee and keep it in a plastic drum or a mud pot. It should not be kept in a metal container because it will corrode and react with the metal. Keep the ghee and the cow dung mixture for 4 days, mixing it twice a day.
    * On the 5th day add cow’s urine, cow’s milk (cow’s milk can be boiled, cooled and then added) and cow’s curd, then jaggery with water or sugarcane juice and banana fruit (which has to be mashed and mixed thoroughly.) Then tender coconut water has to be added.
    * Wait for another 15 days, stirring twice daily. Stirring the contents for about 20 minutes each time facilitates aerobic microbial activity.
    * On the 19th day the panchagavya solution will be ready. This solution must be kept under a net, i.e. it must be covered with a muslin or fine cloth so that the common fly cannot sit on it and lay eggs. For use after 19th day, stir the mixture at least once a day to aerate it.

Application
    200ml of this solution can be diluted with 10 litres of water with proper stirring for spraying on plants. For soil application, dilute 1000ml in 10litres of water.

Periodicity of use
    Once in 15 days, it can be used for all crops. In winter crops, 1.5-2% usage is sufficient but for all other crops 3% should be used.

For more information you can contact:
    Dr K Natarajan,
    RCAC, R.S. Hospital Complex,
    Bye-pass Road, Erode 636151
    Phones: 04204 222369
    Mobile: 0944358379
    email: rcacngo@yahoo.com
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

1 person likes this.
  7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Some more:)

Organic manures such as vermicompost, panchagavya and vermiwash are used for promoting healthy tree growth and fruit formation.

Essential nutrients

From the initial planting stages to caring of full-grown trees, Panchagavya and vermicompost can be effectively used to supply essential nutrients to the trees and prevent pest infestations, according to Dr. S. Sundaravadivel, Vermitechnologist and Environmentalist based in Chennai.
    Vermicompost is prepared by using earthworms. Vermiwash is the liquid collected after the passage of water through a column of activated earthworms. It is very useful as an organic spray for all crops.
    Pest repellent

Panchagavya is an organic growth promoter, which is prepared by mixing cow dung, cow urine, cow's milk, curd and ghee in suitable proportions, and is sprayed on the plants. It contains several macro, micronutrients, beneficial bacteria and fungi, which aid in growth promotion and act as effective pest repellents.
    It can be prepared by thoroughly mixing five kilos of fresh cow dung and one litre of cow's ghee in a plastic or cement tank or earthen pot. The mixture is stirred daily for three to four days.
    "About three litres of cow's milk, two litres of cow's curd, three litres of sugarcane juice, three litres of tender coconut water and 10 to12 bananas are mixed well and added to the mixture. The entire concoction is allowed to ferment for fifteen days," said Dr. S. Sundaravadivel.
    The container should be covered with a net (or) cotton cloth to allow aeration of the fermenting unit, according to him. The concoction is stirred two or three times a day for about fifteen days and then used. For mango trees of about 6-7 years age, vermicompost may be applied at the rate of 10 kilograms per tree and one litre of panchagavya diluted in 30 litres of water may be sprayed over the foliage (crown) and at the base of the tree. Spraying Panchagavya over the crown and at the base of the tree must be done four to five times, according to Dr. Sundaravadivel. The first spraying must be done before the flowering season (January-March) to increase flower formation.
    A second spraying must be done after 15-20 days. The process must be repeated till the flowers turn into small sized buds. Once the buds start forming then the application can be done once a month, according to him.
    Use of Panchagavya and vermicompost has been found to increase the size, number and enhance the colour of the fruits.
    Recommended practice

The recommended practice for one hectare of mango trees is about 25 litres of panchagavya (mixed in 750-800 litres of water) and four to five tonnes of vermicompost.
    Spraying panchagavya has been found effective in the control of fruit fly menace, a common infestation in all fruit bearing trees, according to Dr. Sundaravadivel.
    According to him, trees treated with organic manures bore large sized leaves and formed a dense canopy with profuse rooting systems. The taste and shelf life of the fruits were also found to be more satisfactory.
    Nitrogen-fixing bacteria

"The interaction of the root hairs of these trees with the organic manures also increased the activity of the nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil.
    "The organic manures also act as a carrier medium for the development of several beneficial micro organisms such as azospirillum, azotobacter, rhizobium and phosphobacteria," he said. Dr. S. Sundaravadivel can be reached by mobile at 98843-90104 ,and email: sundaravadivel66@
    hotmail.com

<WEB></WEB>

<!-- Bottom Template Starts -->© Copyright 2000 - 2008 The Hindu

Date:13/07/2006 URL: The Hindu : Sci Tech / Agriculture : Organic practices for increasing mango yield

1 person likes this.
  8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Thanks for the details about Panchagavyam. Your post clarified my doubt.

best,

9. royans

royans New IL'ite

Shanti,

No problem... a roof garden must be really cool!

Well, Greenlands did not give me a definitive pricing.. but I was told somewhere around Rs 75 / litre. I had asked for 5 litres. CIKS quoted a price of Rs 60 / litre.

The actual cost is about Rs 15 / litre. I read that somewhere in the Hindu.

royans.

1 person likes this.
  10. royans

royans New IL'ite

AC,

Thanks for the info on Panchagavya. I must try that out one day ... will file it for future reference.

At the moment, I'm not in a position to experiment with that... and I'm not sure how to go about obtaining the fresh cow dung and urine.

Have you had any experience with Panchagavya?

royans.