palakka necklace or ruby necklace ?

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by kiranmadhu, Mar 25, 2010.

1. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

I have always liked palakka necklace ( the simple ones available within 2 sovereigns, not gaudy ones ).
    i have been thinking of giving away some small old ornaments and buying a necklace. will palakka necklace go with any colour saree ?
    how about ruby necklace ?
    which one would suit with all sarees ? i am thinking of a simple type necklace only. please suggest.

2. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

IMO, palakka necklace will go well with kerala saree and any saree in green shade and upto a certain extent with maroon/red sarees. I ‘ve seen people wearing palakka mala with other color sarees as well, but didn’t like it. Ruby necklace is a better choice, since lots of the sarees have either red/shade of red in pallu , so will look better.

However since you are looking for a small necklace , have you considered something in gold, without stones – like a huge pendant that you can connect to thread and change according to the saree color .I have seen nice traditional pendant in stores these days .Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

thanks for the response. i also read somebody else's posting talking about giving away their palakka necklace etc to change for something more trendy. so looks like palakka mala is a little out of fashion ?
    ruby necklace would be good too. but will i be able to make it in 2 sovereigns ?
    as for pendant sets, i have few such gold plated sets to match some of my silk sarees. i cannot afford that in gold right now.