1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Tanjore Paintings - Instructions / Tutorial

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by theartisticone, Jun 18, 2009.

1. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi ramya, thanks! unfortunately, i live in singapore!
    our IL member 'kaluputti' does teach in chennai, is you can get in touch with her, then it wl be great!:)

2. sunithag

sunithag New IL'ite

Hi
    I want to know more abt tanjore painting.Where can i get the sketches for tanjore painting.so that i can draw the out line sketches and fill the next step.
    and also i need to know the supply store so that i can purchase the gold foil,stones.can i get all these by online purchase.I need to do at least one tanjore painting.where can i get the supplies.
    please can any one help me out in finding these...

3. zwalakumar

zwalakumar New IL'ite

hi,

iam having doubt in tanjore painting. For board making i heard we can use tarmind seeds powder . i tried but iam not getting tht stickyness and how to prepare muck with limestonepowder. If anyone knows pls let me know

4. theartisticone

BOARD PREPARATION:

Materials :

Whitening powder/ putty chalk powder,
    White long cloth – ½ mtr,
    dilute fevicol,
    3mm marineply plywood in the size necessary – 18”x14”,
    Gum Arabic solution,
    Yellow oxide powder,
    Glass paper weight/ fine sand paper.

Method :

1. Soak the cloth in plain water for 30 mins, rinse out the starch amd squeeze out the water.
    2. Now, dip the cloth in dilute fevicol, so that the cloth is fully coated with fevicol.
    3. Now squeeze out the excess fevicol and jerk the cloth to remove the creases on the cloth.
    4. Place the cloth on one side of the plywood board and stretch the cloth and cover the board like covering a book, fold over the edges of the cloth on the back of the board and make sure that the cloth has at least 2” to fold over on each side.
    5. If needed, apply a little dilute fevicol on the folded part to make sure that the cloth doesn’t peel off.

5. theartisticone

hi,:hiya continuing:

6. Now, mix the below materials in the proportion:

Yellow oxide : Putty chalk : Gum Arabic : Dilute Fevicol
    powder powder

pinch : 1 : 3 : 1

7. If needed, add a little water to the solution, mix well avoid lumps, use a flat brush and apply the mixed solution on the cloth stuck to the board.
    8. First apply vertical strokes and then horizontal strokes.
    9. Let the coating dry till it is touch dry.
    10, Wait for a day and give a second coating, repeat coatings for 2-3 days till 4-5 coatings are over.
    11.Now use the glass paper weight/fine sand paper and rub on the surface of the coated board until the surface is smooth to touch.
    12. Now the board is ready to use.

6. theartisticone

GUM ARABIC SOLUTION PREPARATION:
    1. Soak the gum Arabic crystals, in a glass or plastic container and fill it with hot water till the water covers up to 1” above the crystals level.

2. Stir the mixture several times, soak for a period of about 2 days. 3.After it has become gelatinous, thoroughly squeeze the soaked crystals with your hand just like you extract tamarind paste.
    4. Then sieve the paste using a double layer of georgette dupatta and squeeze until you get a nice clean thick gum paste without any lumps, discard the dirty residue.
    5.Now store this gum airtight in a plastic or glass bottle.

7. theartisticone

hi sunithag,
    please do not attempt doing a tanjore on your own - you need a teacher to teach u the method, intricacies & help u trouble shoot!
    as for the materials, its better if u buy the materials from the place your teacher specifies because your gold and materials should be of v good quality - you might get fleeced if you buy it on the net!:coffee

8. sunithag

sunithag New IL'ite

Hi Thanx for the reply
    Iwent to the class here in US with one person and learnt how to draw and paint but she failed to tell me abt the board making and muck paste for embossing.but i learnt how to make muck paste.So am curious to make one more tanjore painting.

9. theartisticone

hi sunithag,
    good that you learnt from a teacher, you can take a look at my thread and get the details about the board & muck.
    all the best!:thumbsup

10. ashokbeegee

ashokbeegee New IL'ite

hi, im intersted in painting how to make patchpainting,oil painting &pot painting please send me the procdure and ideas

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010