1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Tanjore Paintings - Instructions / Tutorial

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by theartisticone, Jun 18, 2009.

1. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi all,
    please post all your doubts about the tanjore painting proceedure in this thread as the queries can confuse the people reading the instructions!

mythiliregan and prsnfd like this.

2. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Su
    Thanks for the very clear procedure. Very few people are broadminded to share such complicated procedures for free.

While I have completed some Tanjore paintings, I am not very good at painting -my latest doubt is how do I paint the colourful malai on Balaji - the rose, yellow chrysanthemum or Chamandhi and the thulasi. what is the base colour and what is the painting colour? I hope my question is clear

Revathi

3. theartisticone

While I have completed some Tanjore paintings, I am not very good at painting -my latest doubt is how do I paint the colourful malai on Balaji - the rose, yellow chrysanthemum or Chamandhi and the thulasi. what is the base colour and what is the painting colour? I hope my question is clear
    hi rave :hiya
    Thanks for the very clear procedure. Very few people are broadminded to share such complicated procedures for free.
    see rave, even if the proceedure is free, the artist has to follow the instructions and execute them, this finally becomes her/his creation!
    about the chrysanthemum malai-
    i will post the colour combo in the other thread! so that everyone can see it!

4. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Su

I have gone through a bad experience trying to learn Tanjore painting, where I spent loads of time and money, and yet learnt very little. That motivated me to learn it properly and my next teacher was excellent - she taught me all that she could in my limited time at Chennai during my visit there. I am lucky that way. So I really appreciate your effort to share your knowledge, though as you said painting comes only by practice. Atleast we know what colours to use and how to use them. That credit goes to you!!:):):)

I am off to Chennai for a short while, and on my return, I shall practice the flowers the way you have described them in the other thread and post my work for your appraisal. :hide:

Revathi

5. theartisticone

I shall practice the flowers the way you have described them in the other thread and post my work for your appraisal. [​IMG]
    hi rave :hiya

good, do it when u come back!! whom did you learn your tanjore from? in chennai?

6. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Su

Uploading my practice work of the chrysanthemum flowers. (Sorry for the shaky picture.) I am not too happy - please tell me where I am going wrong - have I followed the procedure right? I learnt Tanjore from a lady in Lloyds Road, Chennai. She is a gem - stopped teaching now.

Revathi

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  7. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

Please can I know what are the different features and method of tanjore painting when compared to others.

thank you in advance

8. theartisticone

hi rave,
    the right effect of the chrysanthemum malai is shown in the picture below

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. theartisticone

Please can I know what are the different features and method of tanjore painting when compared to others.
    hi vrajesh,
    can you please explain your query?:coffee:idontgetit:

10. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Thanks Su - so sweet of you to have posted a picture. That makes the explanation so much more effective. Now I have an idea of the rose, thulasi and malli part also.

Revathi