1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Fabric Paintings(African Patterns)

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by asharao, May 17, 2007.

1. sriluck18

sriluck18 New IL'ite

Asha, these works are simply superb. i never knew that you had these talents when we were studying. chupa rusthum! keep it up.
    love
    lakshmi

2 people like this.
  2. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,

Thank you very much for your compliments.I do paintings only in my free time.If I take painting full time the way I want to,my cooking stops then.Anyway,I'll keep u posted of more of my paintings.As I suggested,give it a thought to spread religious message by starting a new thread.I'll look forward for that.

Regards,:2thumbsup:

Asha

3. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi aasha,
    i saw ur paintings 2day likes them all very much.well i too love drawing and painting.but i dont know it the professional way.its just my liking ive not learnt it.can u please tell me the materials on which i can do fabric painting also do u draw the design or u get it traced.if u draw it then with what do u draw pencil or chalk or smth else.can u please tell me good brabd of fabric colors that i can use.

i hope ive not asked too many questions.i will be obliged if u please clear out my doubts,since u r so very artistic.

take care will wait ur reply.

zeenat

4. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Zeenat,

Thanx for appreciating my paintings.I still don't call myself a professional.In the picture,it looks good.But there are loads of mistakes which only I know.Yes the things which u need are-pencil,ruler,masking tape and fabric paints.Since I live in Africa,african life has inspired me.Some are free hand and some I pick from places.In India,u can use fevicryl.I like them very much.But here,I get different type of fabric paint.So I use those.U can trace a pattern if u have patterns.First draw the pattern with pencil and then use ruler to make the lines neat. When the pattern is drawn,then before u start painting,use masking tape so that the colours don't smuge to the other side.When the paint dries,then remove the masking tape and carry on by applying the masking tape on the other side.Any other questions,do ask me.And also check out the previous mails on this thread.U'll get an idea.

Happy Painting.

Regards,
    Asha:wave

5. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Hi asharao,
    Can u pl tell me which fabric colours u use, i mean the name of the colours as last so many days i am searching them in stores here in US, i get so confused seeing so many diff brand names on the rac.
    PL let me know the name of them .
    thanks

6. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi!

I use the fabric paints from South Africa.It's expensive here but good.The brands are aquatex and heritage.But if you don't get any of these(I doubt that)then ask ur art shop to help u to c which is the most popular.Buy just one colour and test it at home.Just paint on a small piece of cloth and iron or bake it and then wash it.If the colours don't come off or doesn't smuge then stick to that brand.Don't do any complcated design.I'm sure u get good books on fabric painting.Go in for the best brand there.

Thanks.

Regards,

7. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

HI
    Asha.
    Thanks a lot

8. vijiputhucode

vijiputhucode Silver IL'ite

your fabric paitings are too good on what material have u painted it can u upload sketch patterns of the same so that i can copy

9. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Vijiputhucode,

Unfortunately I don't have any pencil sketches.I've just done one of each and then painted it.

I do it on a washed calico(cotton lining material cloth).Pl see my earlier replies on this thread.U can see the entire method I've used to paint it.

Thanks a lot for appreciating the paintings.

Regards,

1 person likes this.
  10. geethakrishna

geethakrishna Senior IL'ite