Pain on left side after postive opk

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by arch1984, Oct 22, 2013.

1. arch1984

arch1984 Senior IL'ite

Hi IL's

Here is my story of ttc
    I have been ttc from past 1 year...My cycle length has increased from 30-35 to 40-45 from july 2012..so..i saw a doc here in US...doc did pap smear n all hormonal tests and said i had mild pco..:spinn asked me to take metformin 1000mg/day..so i strted taking metformin 500mg frm jan 2013..though i had nausea..vomiting sensations...:bang since then i had my periods regular i.e. 30-35 days:cheers

I started using opk's from last 5 months..it shows +ve on days 15/16/17 or 18th depending on d cycle...exactly after 3 days of seeing positive..i get sharp pain on my left side below abdomen..:bang pain comes n goes away..but very sharp...it continues for 4 days....i get periods after 11-12 days of first painful day...i still cant understand what is happening....if i am ovulating then why is it after 3 days of seeing positive opk..:drowning

did anyone face this kind of problem..if so please let me knw..
    thanks a ton in advance

2. arch1984

arch1984 Senior IL'ite

Hello IL's

Can anyone reply me...i need your help...:drowning

3. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Arch...I know the pain of going to PCOS and can totally relate to your confusion. PCOS related nausea and vominting sessions is more becoz PCOS is an insulin resistence medication. You need to ensure that you are having well spaced meals and more so drink enough of water (3litres) to be okay.

With regards to your pain on the left side, post ovulation, I think it has a strong connection to your ovulation and the freefluid movement till it fills the cavity. I had the same feeling and when I cross checked iwth my doc, she confirmed that its more becoz of the free fluid filling. Again, in my case the day 1 pain was nasty when the period hit, which is again consistent with your case.

Have you done a HSG to check if your tubes are clear? Sometimes, the tubal blocks show up during ovulation and create a little bit of chaos. Would recommend asking your doc to check on this. Relax and try some breathing exercises when the pain kicks in...it helped in my case BIG time!

4. arch1984

arch1984 Senior IL'ite

Hi Winipooh

Thanks a lot for your reply
    So..is this like this..i am ovulating after 12-48 hrs after seeing positive opk...and the pain is because of the free fluid generated after the follicle rupture??? If this is the case it is ok..because atleast i m ovulating..Regarding opk i have no doubts..as i am using 2 (clearblue and wondfo) both of them show positive for 2 days..

yes i do have pain on my first day of periods..but not sharp as this pain is..and it comes only on left side al d time....y m saying dis because i had a kind of follicular study this month..and dominant follicle is on right side not left side..and it pains for me on left side always atleast last 7-8 months

HSG...no i will do that to check my tubal blocks...so did u conceive eventhough you had this pain??

5. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Arch...I am on IUI #3 this cycle, yet to conceive...hope this is the my cycle :)

The OPKs always give you a 24 - 48 headsup tp ovulation. Post ovulation is when you feel this pain kick in.

If you are having the follicles on the right side and the pain from the left, think its important that your doc does the HSG to be sure that there isnt anything in your tubes which is playing games. Post the HSG, I still do have the pains, but a lot lesser.

6. arch1984

arch1984 Senior IL'ite

Hi Winipooh
    I pray to God that this must be your last IUI...:)

Yes exactly..post ovulation is when this pain starts...exactly after 3 days of +ve opk..and this is happening for last 8 months....it took me almost 5 months to figure out that this pain is after this time...i went to general physician, gynaec who said nothing is wrong and they cant see anything troublesome...

Then i consulted RE who asked me to go for follicular study....where i found out the dominant follicle is on right side..i had this 15mm on right side on day 17th...after dat unfortunately i couldnt continue because of my insurance problem..next month i wil start again..

Post HSG...pain is lot lesser..what do you mean by this...so HSG cleared any blockages u had..and so u had less pain???

7. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Arch...the pain on the left side I am sure is just your ovulation pain.

With regards to the follicles and dominant on the right side, am sure the pain came post the ovulation. If you have a 15mm follicle on d17 for a 35 day cycle, you are pretty much on track.

Post hSG, I felt the pain was a touch lesser. I didnt have any blockages...but once they flushed the tubes, felt the pain was a touch lesser.

I would recommend that you just try to do some yoga asanas around that time...these help relax the pelvic region and reduce the pain considerably. Am at it...and has been working well for me :)

8. arch1984

arch1984 Senior IL'ite

thanks alot winipooh

I dont want to extend this topic much..but my only question would be if i see +ve opk on day 17th..i get this pain after 3 days i.e. 20th day..which is not a good sign as ovulation should occur within 12-48 hrs max..am exceeding this

Anyhow i am going to continue my follicular study next month and according to the results..may be RE wil recommend this HSG which would coming month...meanwhile my hubby is also getting checked next week...

Will talk about the results when they are in place
    Thanks alot for your advice...you are the only one who has responded to my query..
    please share your good news...:thumbsup

Are you in 2WW...if so even me too am in 2ww...

9. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Arch...The OPK gives you a positive stating that there is a 24 - 48 hours window for hte LH surge to hit the peak. Thats also the time around which ovulation will happen and then another say 24 hours for hte freefluid to fill up.

The follicular study helps big time to give you a clear indication on wats happening inside :)

I am on d9..will know how many follicles this cycle tomorrow...fingers and toes crossed! Hope I have a decent #...coz this is last cycle on IUI and dont want to go the IVF route :(

10. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Wish you both goodluck Arch1984 and Winnipooh sisters, May Baba bless you soon, Sairam