Pain Less Deliveries

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by varshini, Apr 29, 2006.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Re: Epidural

Some say epidural prolongs labour,so you might want to think on those lines too.For my second delivery,I did ask for epidural,but I was already 7 cm dilated by then (labour time was very short) and before they could administer it,I was in active labour and delivered within 10 minutes !Drowning

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi, Nidhi. There are risks to any procedure and the epidural is also like that. However per my knowledge administered correctly the chances of complications are very rare. Also don't panic reading all the stories on the message boards because people often share their bad experiences but you don't hear the good experiences. I had the epidural for my first one and have not had any back ache. I had some hip pain for the first two weeks and then it went away.

The other thing is, you don't have to decide now. You can see how you take the labor and the pain. You may be one of the lucky ones that has a very short labor. If you feel that the labor is taking really long and you cannot stand the pain you can opt for an epidural at that point. (Check with the doctor on this).

Good Luck!

3. geethas

geethas New IL'ite

Epidural is the best mode of pain less delivery,among other modes of pain less delivery.

There are so many myths and facts about epidural.

If it is done by obstetric anesthesiologist,its going to be 99.9% safe and happy delivery.

Regarding back ache, Every other lady after pregnency may get some sort of pain in the back, or pelvis,irespective of they had epi or not.

Its a rare complication following epi,but can be treated with physiotherapy.

I am obstetric anesthesiolgist,doing epidual pain relief not only for normal delivery,also for major operations.

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Epidural is one of the safest methods for natural birth definitely. But backache is unavoidable, but with excersise yu can get rid of it. :rotfl

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Nidhi,
    Congragulations!!!
    I would suggest you to be open-minded about taking epidural. Most of the doctor's say taking epidural won't result in back-ache.
    I was totally against taking epidural. I had a 20 hour long labour pain and the pain was so severe that I agreed to an epidural. I wished, I took epidural early. The pain involved in epidural is very very less and it makes the delivery an enjoyable experience.
    All the best
    -
    Nitha

6. kolli143

kolli143 Senior IL'ite

Hi Nidhi, Congratulations first.

There are positive and negative out comes in every medical procedure. And anesthesia area is very tricky. Just try to see the positive way as opposed to the negative side. I took epidural and will recommend it to any one. It makes labor so easy and enjoyable.
    So relax and enjoy.

7. adismom

adismom Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nidhi
    I did take epidural when I gave birth and can vouch foe the fact that it makes the process so much easier...with the pain gone.Though I had a short labor (6 hrs)..the pain became so unbearable to me at a point that I asked for epidural.But the doctor tried to discourage me from taking it as I had progressed so fast that I would have delivered in a short while anyway.
    But for me it was well worth it as the epidural took effect almost immediately and I delivered after 1.5 hrs.
    If I decide to have a second child....I will definitely take it again.
    But of course you should consult with your doc before deciding on it.
    All the best!

8. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi,
    epidural as such does not effect you after ur delivery. it does make the whole procedure painless but the only chances r that since there will be no pain or no senses in ur pelvic nerves,u will not know how much pressure to put when u get the contractions. but then if u decide to take epidural, remember this, when the time comes, doc will tell when u r getting contractions coz u wont be feeling them. so all ur breathing practice of holdings breadths comes to great help here.
    dont worry u can take epidural. there is no side effects.
    wish u gud luck.

9. Ranjze

Ranjze New IL'ite

Hi, I also wanted to join in with the others in saying that keep you options open. When I was pregnant with my first one, I really had not decided one way or the other. WHen I did go into labor I waited till I was close to 7 cm dilated to really decide and go with epidural. I thought that it really made the whole process more enjoyable. Though I must say with the epidural the urge to push was not as intense.
    It worked for me with both my kids.
    Good luck !

10. dhruvsmommy

dhruvsmommy New IL'ite

hey there,
    Congratulations sweety....

I would say epidural is a life saver...but it depends from person to person and their tolerance level... When you are not able to bear the pain and want to save ur energy for pushing the baby out, I would definitely take the side of epidural.
    All the best and do what ur body and heart say