Pain Less Deliveries

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by varshini, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Epidural or general anaesthesia for c-section

hi archana,

Her doctor is the best judge. most of the time, the other things are taken into considerations like age,other complications like hypertension, diabetes, and ...

In my case my daughter was a breech and i did not have contractions so had gone for c-section., I was given epidural stating that i can see my baby immediately and all blah blah.

In my son's case it was a elective c-section 40 days ahead as my uterus could not hold him as he was too long. then had requested for a ga, but even that did not help me, i could feel everything and see everything (well almost)

In certain cases some people feel the ga affects the baby. but i am not sure.
    Experts can answer it better.

2. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    Thanx for prompt reply..This is the best feature of IL..caring & concern for each other...I think that since she lost 1st child in unfotunate cicumstances the doctor does not want to take risk regarding this one.
    There r other risk factors also....age,diabetes..maybe the child will be given preference over mother's inclination for GA.
    I shall keep u posted

Bye,
    Archana

3. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi Archana,

Even I had a C-section and was given GA. I couldn't remember or feel anything from the time I was given GA... But I got a shivering in between the C-section... But otherwise everything was OK... Only default was that I could see my baby only after 3 hours and the little girl had to wait for 4 hours for her first milk...

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Yeah manjumnair,

That is one of the advantage of epidural. you can feed your baby as soon as possible.

5. kmanasa

kmanasa New IL'ite

Epidural Help

Hello everyone,

My MIL suggested not taking Epidural or any other pain medication during delivery. She told that if Epidural is taken terrible back aches may occur immediately after delivery and may last till after 10 years or so. She also said that back pains may trouble us a lot in the Menopausal phase. Actually that was the case with one of her neices who delivered in USA a few years back. She is still suffering.

But when I asked my doctor he said that there were no direct or indirect side effects of taking Epidural. When I mentioned about girl in ref. he said that could be due to the stress of carrying the baby in and out of the crib etc.

Somehow I am not fully convinced with either of the explainations. Pl share your opinions and experiences.

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Epidural Help

Hi Manasa, I had epidural twice so far... once for a d&c and second for my c-section. I assure you I had no backpains immediately after the procedures or afterwards. It's been 3 years since my c-section. I know couple of my friends too who had to have a caesarian operation after normal labor pains and were given epidural and they're also doing fine. Back pain stems from several other factors. If we bend like normal times during pregnancy then there is a strain on the back. Lack of fitness during and after birth is also one reason. Most pregnant women experience back pain during pregnancy because of the expanding uterus and baby. But with proper care (i mean the sleeping position, mattress type and little exercises) it can be handled well. This is my experience! Latha

7. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi kmanasa,

Your doctor knows best. I had epidural one and a half years back and I never had any back pain because of that.

My MIL and SIL also tried to scare me a lot about how my back will give lots of problems after epidural and pain killers, but after I spoke to my doctor, and lots of other ladies who had had epidurals in my office (some of them had it 10 yrs back), I decided that epidural was safe to use during delivery.

For me the epidural made my labor experience a wonderful thing to remember..the pain was gone in a few seconds and the whole thing after was a breeze. As my doc said, there is no point in suffering so much pain, its not like you will win any medal etc.

As for your relative, as Latha said, it might be due to other problems. I don't think epidural played any role in that.

Hope this helps.

love,
    Aarushi

8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI,
    I had epidural twice and that to for more than 12 hrs each time.
    I guess, now they are giving epidural for other types of sugeries too...

Regards.

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

I too had epidural and i felt back pain but not that severe.. Now i dont get that pain..

I have a question,when i had epidural i felt nothing, no pain but felt as though my legs have swollen and i cudnt move,even wen doctor came for checking me.Is it normal ladies, also if it continues how will u lift ur legs to push,i m unaware of it as i had C-section!!!!! :-(

10. swetakiran

swetakiran New IL'ite

hi dear,

I was stupid not to have epidural, i recently gave birth, have 4 month old, it was like H--- broke loose, i thought i will wait till i can tolerate pain and then go for it, till 7 cm could tolerate then nurse asked whether i wanted i said no , not yet, then my contractions were so fast and painful at 9cms it was unbearable then asked for it , she said its too late because i was shivering a lot and dilation was quickly progressing.

as aarushi said[my baby name is also aarushi, hope she becomes like lady here in IL, beauty with brains], no one awarded me, gave birth like they did in olden days, go for it girl, once baby s head is fixed [sometimes happens at last moment], then contractions are often they will ask you , say yes, its my opinion, no point in taking soooo much pain.

about backpain, i have backpain now, because of stress and feeding in wrong position and sleeping on very soft bed. sleep on firm bed.

all the best honey,

everything will be fine , take care,

shwetha