Pahadi Kadhi Recipe

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by momshruti, May 20, 2012.

1. momshruti

momshruti New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Can someone please share the recipe of Pahadi Kadhi? I had tasted it around five years back in a small Shimla hotel and am searching for the recipe ever since. It had a very distinct taste, very unlike the Punjabi Kadhi. I have tried various Pahadi Kadhi recipes that I could find online, but none gave me that special flavor.

Thanks in advance
    SN

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

INGREDIENTS:
    For Curry

• 3 Tbsp Gram Flour – Besan
    • 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds – Raee
    • 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds – Zeera
    • 1 1/2 Cups Yogurt – Dahi
    • 1Tbsp Garlic Paste – Lehsun
    • 1 Nos Large Onion
    • 2 Nos Green Chillies – Ground
    • 1/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
    • 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder – Haldi
    • 3 Nos Curry Leaves – Kadhi Patta
    • A Small Bunch of Green Coriander – Hara Dhaniya Chopped
    • 3 Cups Water
    • 2 Tbsp Oil
    • Salt to Taste

For Pakoras
    • 1 Cup Gram Flour – Besan
    • 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds – Zeera
    • 1 Medium Onion
    • 1 Medium Potato
    • 1 Tsp Whole Coriander
    • A Bunch of Fresh Coriander
    • Salt and Red Chillies to Taste
    • A Pinch of baking soda
    • Oil for deep drying

INSTRUCTIONS:
    PAKORAS.

Lets make pakoras first. Mix the gram flour with a little water in a bowl. Work up to a medium thick paste.
    Add to it baking soda, salt, chillies, zeera, whole coriander, chopped onion and finely chopped potato. Mix the ingredients with a spoon making sure all spices are evenly distributed. Lastly add chopped fresh coriander to this paste.
    Let it stand for 10 minutes.
    Now using a tablespoon drop ping pong ball sized mixture in a deep frying pan. Turn side to ensure even cooking. Take out when medium brown. Do not over cook as the pakoras will become hard.
    When all done, set the pakoras aside.
    KADHI.

Start off by heating the oil in a deep pan or wok (kadhai). Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add the onion and fry till the onion is golden brown.
    Whisk the yogurt with the garlic paste, green chilli paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, gram flour and salt. Add water and stir.
    Now add this mixture to the wok (kadhai) and bring to boil. Keep stirring constantly and turn the flame to medium. After about 30 minutes the kadhi should have thickened and be ready.
    Now add the curry leaves and pakoras then simmer for 10 minutes.
    Garnish with green coriander and sprinkle some garam masala.
    Serve with chappatis or plain boiled rice.
    Fancy cooking an exotic meal tonight? Best desi cooking recipes from Pakistan, India and rest of the world. Visit Best Desi Cooking and enjoy deliciously free recipes!

3. momshruti

momshruti New IL'ite

Thanks for the recipe, but this seems to be the recipe of our regular Pakode wali kadhi. I am looking of the recipe of Pahadi Kadhi. Hope someone from Uttarakhand can help me out here.

4. nidhijoshi

nidhijoshi Silver IL'ite

It could probably be something made out of soyabean or Chana Dal....can you recollect the flavour and confirm.
    Also confirm if it had Dahi in it?

5. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

In pahadi kadhai they don't add curd, normally lemon juice is used with besan..thatz all....I am from Nainital..so I am damn sure..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. pracnits

pracnits New IL'ite

Hi
    You can try this out, I am sure this is what you are looking for....

Soak 1 cup chana daal (with cover), the whole night and the next day grind it, but not finely. it should be lil thicky. In pan or kadaai, heat the oil and add onion,garlic and ginger paste. Fry it till it becomes golden brown and den add tomato paste, salt to taste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, methi seeds(1 teaspoon), garam masala if you want to.....cover the pan for 5 minutes or till the whole masala is soft. Then add grinded chana daal and mix it well. Again cover the pan for 5 minutes. Aside in another pan, add 1 cup curd and 1/4 cup besan(gram flour powder), and mix it well.....
    Add this mixture into you chana daal mixture and mix it well. If you find its thicky you can add more curd or water into it, like if you want to eat it with rice, then make it more light.
    Heat it for 10 min, and make sure to check it in between. Finally garnish with cilantro . Enjoy your meal. :)

1 person likes this.