1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Packing warm foods for daycare

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Jul 28, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

I got my LO ( 1yr) into one of the famous and expensive day cares and found out they do not warm food for babies and no microwave.

They give food and milk but cold ones -refrigerated milk and cold foods - pasta etc.

For home-brought foods, either need to be kept at room temp or refrigerate.
    Now I am in fix. I am worried about coming winters. I know people here are habitual of eating cold foods. My LO

For Milk and Indian foods, I am confused how to keep food warm and keep it manageable for them and us.

For ex - Now,
    For her khichadi + yogurt and snack/fruit all in 1 box with partitions and label it for them on how to serve. As they might not know that khichadi has to be given with yogurt to LO.

If I use thermos for khichadi, yogurt has to stay separate and then lot of containers.

Some foods - daal + rice - if both warm, they taste better.

Solids food is still okay...

Now milk is something that I do not think she will drink cold/refrigerated.

What is your experience? Also I see so many kids/colored flasks, soup thermos..
    not sure if they really work.

Any suggestions? How do you pack indian foods for your daycares in absence of microware?

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Don't they serve food at the daycare? If they do I would not play around with home made food as there is the risk of food getting spoiled. Milk is better to be served cold as the risk of bacteria growth is less. At that age kids drink their milk cold as not breastfed anymore.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kids' Thermos : Food Storage - Walmart.com

keeps food warm for at least 4-5 hours. Rice and daal, rice and dry sabjis, macaroni & cheese, warmed up chicken nuggets, french toast, and even aalu paratha pieces. Look for the brand name "Thermos"

I wouldn't use them for soup, as child might spill it.

Yogurt - if it is the from-store kind, you can send the tube/cup in a insulated lunch bag.

"Label it on them for how to serve" - keep in mind they have 6-10 kids per adult, and each kid asking for helping, or spilling something. If your child's food need instructions to be read before serving, chances are she will get served later, and lesser time to finish the meal.

Keep it as simple as possible. And stick to 3-5 kinds of lunch only. The variety can be introduced into diet at home.

If they have option of hot meal, take it.

4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Just be aware that there is a chance of food getting spoiled when packed super hot. Try it out at home and see the taste , if it taste good , pack it .

The milk will get spoiled in thermos. Experienced it in travel. You should pack warm water in a thermos and ask them to mix milk powder.

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I used to pack my DD's lunch in thermos and in insulated bag. I never pack food when it is hot. Only warm food.

For milk: usually day cares/schools provide milk. But you can check Horizon organic tetra packs.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

As suggested by many, use relevant thermos and don't pack the food when it is very hot. Wait until it turns warm and then pack.

Don't go with too many instructions. Lot of varieties, that too Indian varieties will only confuse the care provider. So, better stick to one or two simple meal plan.

Have two separate containers for warm and cold foods. You may have some partitions to divide each variety.

Milk is better to be served as cold. Kids will get used to it as they drink.

You may include whatever the missing varieties at home in the eves or during weekends/holidays.