1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

paalangal

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by ganges, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

My sister was a book lover and she had a very good collection of all her favourite tamil novelists writings. When I met her the last time, she showed me all her collections and asked me to take whatever I want. I was taken aback because she never allowed us to take the book to our place even for a short period. Anyhow I didnt want to loose the chance and took some books from there. After some months my sister passed away.

Yesterday I just went through the books I brought down from my beloved sis. One among those was Paalangal written by Shivasankari. She took different periods from 1907 to 1985 and wrote about the happenings in a family for each period of 24 years. The gradual changes in culture, freedom of women, education, religious tolerance etc was handled by her beautifully. Even though I read shivashankaris books before , Paalangal I read for the first time and felt this one is the master piece of her creations.

Excellent shivshankari !

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Ganga,

Thanks for sharing the story. I haven't read not only this but many. Hoping to start the habbit of reading again.

The title Paalangal strikes a chord - Your sister doesn't give books to any one, but during her last days she gave them to you and the first book you read was Paalangal. There seems to be a reason.

She has laid the Bridge (Paalam) between you & her, a bridge of sisterhood & a bridge to the reading habbit to continue in you on behalf of her.

Keep reading & sharing it with us.

3. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Nats !

You are there everywhere as a true friend. Yes dear. she laid the paalam between me and her and my reading habit. You wont believe. Those were the exact words I told to my other sis after finishing this novel. I felt for my sis so called my immediate sis to share my feelings. I love reading and definitely will share with you.

thankyou

ganges

4. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Hi ganges, really sorry to know about your sister. But with the gesture that your sister showed towards you the last few days, it just shows that she thinks about you very well and what a wonderful book to have shared!! I bet you will remember this book for life and always remember the fond memoried of your sister though it...

5. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Gayathri

Thanks for the fb dear. Yes. I always remember the fond memories of my sis. This book is a treasure for me. Also inside the book I found one small vibhuthi packet kept in a small paper with Sairam written all over it in the hand writing of my sis. I love her so much and felt her blessings.

ganges

6. varshatha

varshatha New IL'ite

Hi,

I have also read the book paalangal by Shivashankari. ofcourse yes it's a wonderfull book which shows us the culture and development of women for the past 100 years. Really an admirable work from the writer.

Cheers:cheers

Varshi...

7. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear varshi

Thats great to have one more fan of shivashankari. I read almost all her novels. Very simple way of writing. You will feel you are one among the charecter while reading her book. I think for samooha novels she is one of the best.

thanks for the fb.

ganges

8. HariSriPriya

HariSriPriya Senior IL'ite

hi..
    i hv the paalangal book with me.. i hv read the book around 10 time,,.. really very nice book..i like the 1907 period very much.. i use to recollect what my mom, patti used to say abt their days and it is exactly same as what shivasanakari has written.. very nice book.. The story line of A GIRL BEING A BRIDGE BUILDING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GENERATIONS.. is wonderful thought,, Feel proud tobe a girl when i finish the novel.....

IF u liked this novel u may also like SRIMATHI MYTHILI - by author Lakshmi... very nice novel..

9. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear HariSriPriya

Very nice fb dear. I too loved the story of the period 1907 only. But imagine the ladies situation that times. Kitchen was their world. But still their was harmony in their lives.
    Lakshmi,s this novel I read very long before. I liked her novels too. thank you friend.

ganges

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ganga

Thanks for sharing your experience here. I have also read books of Shivashankari but now dont remember the names of the books. In my younger days I used to read many novels of great authors but now not able to concentrate. Just as I am addicted to IL I was addicted to books that time, we also had a Tamil library in our office which was taken care by me.

Your sister giving the books to you shows her love and might be she wanted to show her love this way. I also agree with what others have written about your sister.

love
    viji