Ovulation induction injections

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by ttc123, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

After 3 failed clomid cycles, my doctor had put me on injections. Here are the details:

1. Take clomid 100mg from 2-6 days of cycles
    2. On day 5,7,9 take Purgeon 100 injections. Come for scan on alternate days from day 5.
    3. If the follicle size is mature enough, take Pregnyl 10,000 injection.

Had any one had a similar treatment before? Any success stories and does and dont's will be very helpful.

Thanks,
    TTC123

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

This is called a hybrid cycle. If you have not had success with clomid (me too in the same boat), then you move onto injectibles. With clomid, there is a 50-50 chance of ovulation, with a pure injectibles cycle the ovulation rate is 99%. But injectibles are expensive so what your doc is doing is trying to make clomid work by giving it a helping hand with injectibles. Since the injectibles are actual hormones, they have to be monitored very carefully so that you don't have ovarian hyper stimulation i.e. your ovaries don't become swollen or produce too many eggs. that's the reason for more scans and blood work with injectibles.

are you doing an iui as well? that will really up your chances for a pregnancy.

I had 3 failed clomid cycles. did not ovulate. did 1 cycle of pure injectibles and iui that has resulted in my now 2 year old son.:clap

3. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Pooja,

I really want to club it with IUI, but my doctor's assistant is currently on a month's sick leave. She takes care of the IUIs, I will have to wait until November for my IUI.

Since my DH's sperm count is good enough, doctor said lets try this cycle with natural insemination. I just hope and pray to get this cycle successful!

TTC123

4. Happysoul1234

no worries ... if you don't have sperm issues that's good ... you have a fair chance without IUI as well!

here are some tips for the period after ovulation when you are trying for pregnancy. follow these carefully!

After ovulation has occurred and you have had intercourse at the right time, follow the tips below to maximize the chances of conception. These tips were provided to me by my friend who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and Aired.

1. Minimize physical activity e.g. housework, walking etc for 2-3 days after ovulation. This is to conserve your body's energy so that it can concentrate on conception.
    2. No exercise except light walking for at least 1 week after ovulation.
    3. Eat lots of protein rich foods. In moderation, eat eggs, Soya and chicken products, you can drink milk and whey protein products and eat lots of nuts and seeds such as sunflower, walnuts, almonds etc. Aim for at least 75 gms of protein a day. Your body needs the protein to help the egg fertilization process and help the egg implant properly into the uterus.
    4. Keep a positive frame of mind and pray to god to help you at this time.
    5. Do breathing exercises or light yoga and imagine the egg being fertilized and implanting properly in your uterus and having a healthy and safe pregnancy.
    6. Drink lots of water, at least 8-10 glasses a day, preferably at room temperature.
    7. After ovulation, keep your stomach covered and protected from wind for at least a week. Your womb needs to stay warm to aid conception.
    8. Start taking a pre-natal and a DHEA supplement. The DHEA is especially important for vegetarians as it contains Omega 3 fatty acids that aid greatly in conception and maintaining a healthy pregnancy. Additionally, studies have shown that babies whose mothers took DHEA during their pregnancy score higher on IQ tests as kids that those whose mothers did not take the supplement. DHEA is naturally found in fish such as salmon as well

Some tips on intercourse.

Use the power of gravity!

Missionary position (man on top) allows for deepest penetration and deposition of sperm closest to where it needs to be in order to fertilize the egg. Woman on top position is probably the worst position to use as the sperm is more likely to flow out of the vagina. My friends have also recommended the doggy style position but personally I have never tried that. My best friend conceived all 3 of her kids with the doggy style so you can Google it to figure out what that involves ;-)

After intercourse, you should keep lying down for at least ½ hour. Your hips need to be elevated so that your hips are higher than your head. This is done to use the power of gravity to help the sperm swim their way from the vagina to the fallopian tubes. You can elevate your hips by asking your husband to place 2-3 pillows below your hips after intercourse has ended or you can place your legs on the wall so that your hips are higher than your head. Do not use any lubricants during intercourse as they impede the sperm from swimming up to the fallopian tubes.

Good luck!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Wow wow wow.. thanks soo much.
    I will keep in mind all those tips and try to follow as much as I can.

Just one question, what is this DHEA supplement? Never heard about it, is it available without prescription? And should it be started right now or after conception? I am already taking follic acid daily.

Thanks again.
    TTC123

6. Happysoul1234

fish oil supplement .. back in india it was available as cod liver oil ... omega 3 fatty acids are found in fish such as salmon. check your local vitamin store for omega 3 fatty acid supplement - make sure it is not from farmed fish but wild fish. organic will be even better.

7. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Oh I see... got it now.
    Also, a question on lubricants...
    I have read somewhere that Pre-seed lubricant is sperm friendly and helps in conception (unlike others). Is this true and is it best and safe to use during this month's intercourse?

8. apurish18

apurish18 Senior IL'ite

Hi Pmahensa

Thanks for your valuable tips. I’m going to take clomid for the 3rd time. My Dh sperm count is also good.
    I’m ovulating with clomid but don’t have success story may be due to PCOS. As I have many eggs, the sperm doesn’t travel to the right egg. What should I do for that?
    How to succeed? My weight is only 48kgs; height is 5.6 inch which is under weight that may be the problem?
    During the time of ovulation is it necessary to do IC continuously for 6-7 days?
    After IC we should keep the pillow or while doing itself we should keep?

Please clarify.

:confused2:

9. Happysoul1234

sorry to hear about the pcos woes ... :-(

sometimes the problem is not that we are not producing eggs or there is not enough sperm ....

to add to the infinite things that can work against you here are a couple more

1.hostile cervical mucus .... cervical mucus is the thin egg white type discharge you see around ovulation time. this is the liquid that the sperm has to travel in to get to the egg and fertilize it. sometimes on clomid, and sometimes even otherwise, a woman may not have enough cervical mucus or may have hostile mucus which instead of helping the sperm, works against the sperm. which means that unless you have super strong sperm in an extremely large quantity with very good motility, the chances of pregnancy become slim.

2.some women (including me) is that the uterus may be tilted which makes it difficult for the sperm to reach the egg. or you may have

3. a longer than normal uterus/reproductive tract which means that the sperm has to travel for a longer period to reach the egg which may tire it more so it can't penetrate the egg and fertilize it.

4.if you have good quantity of sperm, but low morphology or motility, even with friendly cervical mucus, the good sperm have to swim around debris i.e. dead sperms and those with low motility. if there are lots of dead sperm, then even 1 good sperm may loose energy in reaching the egg and may not be able to fertilize since it has spent all its energy on swimming and fighting debris.

common solution to all 3 problems - IUI . doc washes the sperm, removes the dead ones, keeps the good motile ones and injects them straight to the uterus. thus sperm does not have to fight it's way through mucus, does not have to travel too much so it has lots of energy to fertilize the egg.

try it .. worked for me even though we had just 1 good egg and very low sperm counts.

10. Happysoul1234

weight is ok.
    dont do ic every day. give time to sperm to regenerate. every other day, once per day is fine.
    pillow - after ic for 1/2 hr.