Overweight 195Lbs , 5'8" Age 29 :(

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by 135Deepa, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 135Deepa

135Deepa New IL'ite

Hi All:

Due to career advancement , i had to delay planning for child. During all these years , on the brighter side, my career advanced, financial position is very good but i gained weight 195lbs @ 5'8" height and 29 yrs old) .Please advise if i need to try reducing my weight for next 6 months and TTC or start immediately?

(Note: i have regular menstrual cycle and no problems with that ever)

2. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Deepa,

You did not mention if your periods are regular. If periods are regular, you may try TTC but losing weight is essential in either case. But if you are TTC and trying to reduce weight you need to ensure your body gets all nutrients and same time low caloric foods. Also strenous exercises should be avoided during TTC. Check in Google for your ideal wight and start your Journey. All the best

3. annavarapus

annavarapus Senior IL'ite

All the best for your TTc journey.I second every word by Radha.

4. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hey As u said u have good financial position & career now is the time to look at urself first.Try to avoid oily foods,cut down carbohydrates....give urself 2-3 months time before u TTC ...do regular excercise.In pregnancy u will put on 10-12 kgs , for obese mothers there is fear of their babies getting diabetes.So become healthy first.If u work for it seriously it will be very effective in 2-3 months.All the best.

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Deepa,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum.
    You can find our forum guideliens here...

Check out your BMI for your height & weight. If its average, its fine. If not, eat healthy diet & concentrate on regular exercises & weight loss.

Prepare your body well. Your biological clock is ticking away, so, don't wait for long....
    Baby dust to you..

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Check your BMI..it should be 25 or less.Above 25 is overweight and above 30 is obese.Yes,I do think you have to reduce.You will not be able to reduce once you conceive,you may be able to avoid putting on a lot of weight but still for a healthy pregnancy,you will have to put on atleast 15 lbs(for a normal weight person,ideal is 30 lbs).It will make your pregnancy difficult and you may end up with gestational diabetes and high BP too.

So,to be safe,first try to reduce weight,then you can safely think of pregnancy.All the best.

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I second Sunitha..

Reduce your weight first .. it a'int impossible. it will just take sometime and determination. You will gain weight when you concieve. You cannot reduce then.. You will land up being tooo obese and that could itself lead to complications in Pregnancy. Do not go through that stress.

Reduce enough and then plan for a baby.

8. 135Deepa

135Deepa New IL'ite

Happy to see so many responses! Thank you Ladies!

I had to travel all over US , tarvelled Coast to Coast EACH WEEK past 3 years due to work and as a result gained lots of pounds!!! I have tried hard past 1 year and reduced from 240 lbs+ to 190 lbs+ ! I just wanted to make sure if i TTC now or wait until i reduce some more pounds , then TTC. I have scheduled an appointment with doc next week to get physical. Apart from weight gain, i never had any other health probelms .
    Radha, for your question, yes i have my periods very regular (usually 28-30 days cycle) .

9. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Do the following :
    1. Prepare your body - reduce your weight , take multivitamins tablet, folic acid tablets for your body
    2. Same with your husband
    3. Do a hormonal checkup thru doctor .
    4. Check your sugar and chlosterol level.
    5. try to avoid travelling during ur TTC period
    6. Take time off from work if u can ( 3-4 months)
    7. after preparing ur body try checking ur ovulation dates and have fun
    8. Sticky baby dust to you dear ... :thumbsup

10. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Also,since u r going for check up u can ask ur dr. about thyroid test also.I have also done it before i TTC .Sometimes weight gain can also be due to thyroid.