1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oversleeping baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by keeraj, Jul 4, 2013.

1. keeraj

keeraj Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    My dd is going to be 4 months in a couple of days. She was a premie born at 35 weeks and was in Nicu for one week. The problem now is she is oversleeping n not even waking up for her feed. Initialy i used to feed her on demand but nowadays she can go without feed for hours together. Its seems very abnormal to me. Any idea about this?
    We recently went for her neuro developmental review n d paed diagnoised her with hypertonic(tight muscles) n asked us to go for physiotheraphy but he is not giving us proper explanation. Anyone out there, hav u got any idea abt it?

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Keeraj, when you say she is not waking up for feed, does this happen during night time or day time? Also, going without feed for as long as 5 hours seems ok during nights. I know babies who have done that. However, since she was born 5 weeks before, she is only technically 5 weeks younger than 4 months.

2 people like this.
  3. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

babies at that age sleep a total of 16hrs. how many hrs does she sleep exactly???
    sometimes babies dont wakeup for feeds but thats ok you have to wake them up every 2 and half to 3hrs feed them and put them back to sleep.
    If you have doubts about the pediac change for the better one.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

when my son was a new born he used to sleep 11 hours at a stretch without feed(at times).Then he used to be awake at night.But as such for the first 3 months he didn't have any routine.
    I agree to what zaina and Rakhii had to say that it appears normal.

1 person likes this.
  5. keeraj

keeraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks zaina, rakhi n dinny,
    I keep alarm n feed her every 2hrs. But d qty she takes is also less. This changed pattern is only from past one week. Before that she used to sleep for around 16hrs, but now she sleeps for around 20-22hrs. Off late she started sleeping on her tummy. Dont no if that has got anything to do with long sleep. Has any of u heard of physiotheraphy for hypertonia?

6. vejay

vejay Junior IL'ite

My son is 5 and a half mths old. he is premie as well, born at 32 weeks. we took him for a development test(to a diff doctor suggested by our paed) yesterday and was disgonised with muscle stiffness(hypertonia). doc has asked to consult a physiotherapist. Even we are confused as to what to do as the reasons he gave was unsatisfactory. Anyways, we will consult my child's paed first before going to a physiotherapist.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

keeraj, 22 hours is certainly long time. I would say take her to a pediatrician. Do you try to distract her though? Like taking her for a walk, giving her a bath, just visiting friends etc? i.e basically creating an active atmosphere around her to stimulate her enough to stay awake?

1 person likes this.
  8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I agree to what Rakhii said 22hours is indeed long time.you must tell this to the paed.
    Also i would like to know if the baby is active once she wakes up??

2 people like this.
  9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi keeraj
    Like rakhii and Dinny have mentioned its better you consult the doctor again... Was there any illness or dietary/ place change before this happened?

As for tight muscles my mom used to do was give a warm oil massage and at that time itself used to do some exercises like gently folding and unfolding legs and hands while you go on keeping it active with gentle mom baby talk will definitely help... also make sure you give hot water bath post massage it stimulates good circulation and loosen up tight muscles....

2 people like this.
  10. keeraj

keeraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks rakhi, dinny n vjbunny,
    Met her paed about this issue. She said at times it happens n d phase would soon pass. Thanx once again for ur suggestions.

1 person likes this.