1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

overloading school children

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by rakshantha, Nov 29, 2007.

1. rakshantha

rakshantha New IL'ite

hi all

This issue has been in my mind for quite a long time and I would like to discuss it here. Recently in Chennai I find many schools working on saturdays also. Already children are spending most of their day in school and going to tuition classes. To add to their misery they have to go to school on saturdays too. Schools give quaterly, half yearly and annual leave for just name sake only. Children are given lots of homework even on holidays to do. And many schools teach 10th std syllabus in 9th std itself and again 12th syllabus in 11th. Students who are entering 10th and 12th are not allowed annual leave at all. They have to come to school and start preparing for their 10th and 12th public exams. This creates a lot of pressure and unnecessary tension in their lives. Students need some time to relax and play. So now a days education has become a rat race rather than acquiring knowledge. So what are ur feelings about this issue.

regards
    rakshantha

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello
    I too have thought about this. Its my opinion that parents are to be blamed solely for this state of affairs. I have seen innumerable families this happening and mostly mothers or should I say mainly mothers. I dont think this is going to stop anytime soon. No wonder most kids when they leave house dont want to look back. just my opinion. hope to be corrected if wrong.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakshantha and AC,

I am a chennai school goer's mom. I am against the school having classes on saturday. My DD is in 7th std. and has school every alternate saturday and it is not for academics..it is for more sports and other extra curricular activities. but frankly speaking I am against the loading.. but this is part of life here. my DS does not have friends to play, though we stay very near to a a reputed school and one a little far off...(reason most of the students are at tutions by 4.00...and my son in not in 8th to 12th std..he is only in 4th...) I have seen children who are in 2nd and 3rd going to tutions..

It is not the school alone...do you know the typical day schedule of a girl who comes to the sports club at my uncles academy. she gets up at 4.00, 4.30 she comes in for warms ups. 5.00 to 6.30 she practices vigourously for her tennis... adn 7.00 to 8.00 she is at a tution. then 9.00 she is at school. evening the school leaves at 4.00 she goes in music classes at 5.00. then homework...dinner and sleep...(can you guess the age of the girl....she is just 7)

Nowadays, with the number of competitions and classes going on around in the weekends, they are for abacus, brain gym, chess and other activities...
    So, i think it is more in the mental framework of the parents...they are pushing them to excel....forget them not looking back...i am seeing the kids in age group of 12 -16 very stressed and having high blood pressure and diabetes..and many more....

Unless, we put our foot down, this going to happen.......Our mind set about education is all about earning a degree, or a rank should go and a broader spectrum should be defined about education....

my 2 cents...

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I also feel that parents are responsible for this state of affairs in an indirect way. The other culprit is the admission procedure to professional colleges where marks determine everything. All parents want their kids to score very well, without considering the inherent skill level/limitation of the kid. The school feels that the only way to do this is to overload, make them ruttafy everything and then vomit. I really cant understand the logic behind doing 9th classes in 8th, etc . Looks like from 6th, you will start directly with 10th portions shakehead

We need to realise that everybody cannot be engineers and doctors. We need to learn to respect other professions and also accept life does not end with professional courses. The schools and parents need to encourage other professions and even home-makers! You go to school to pick up knowledge and wisdom and not to only get a job!

Cheers,

Sumathy

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I feel children should be allowed to have time for themselves.The plight the children are in today is because of parents and school.Each parent want their child to be first in the everything and they keep pushing their children for the classes.The schools want their schools to get good results and name.So they have continous assigments and classes to cope up.The children really get fed up by the end of the day.All tution centres mint money.If a child does not do well now the parents think they are doomed.The child might have other talents.Allow them to shine in the fields in which they are talented and are interested.Let the child enjoy its budding years....

6. rakshantha

rakshantha New IL'ite

Thanks anandchithra, shanvy, sumathy and kanaka for penning ur views. I have a daughter who is going to join school the next year and i am pregnant with my second kid. I used to miss my home so much when I was asked to come to school or college on saturdays. I hope the schools and parents will start to realise the pressure they are putting on children and stop giving them impractical goals and tasks. I just hope and pray that my kids will remain kids and not study machines as they grow up.