1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Overhearing my phone calls

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pkm, Jul 23, 2014.

1. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

My first post after my in-laws arrival to USA.
    We have two vonage phones one in the living room and other in the bedroom.
    some time back there was a call to our land line number (number was not displayed.. it showed "PRIVATE NUMBER"). I took the phone in the bedroom (it was near to me... i spoke with my mom 5 mins before) and answered.
    i dnt know who the caller was so i was asking
    "Greetings, Who are you ?? Whom do you want to speak to?
    and the person on the call answered me
    "I am XYZ calling from ABC place.. May I speak to Mr: EFG (fil name)
    Suddenly my fil said Hello XYZ I am here on the phone.
    Really I felt uncomfortable and embarrassing.
    i heard a kind of echo sound (the disturbance we have when two phones are answered at the same time) right at the start of the call. But i thought may be reception is poor. But now i feel fil was in the call from the beginning.

( When I speak to my mom or friends or anyone else, I make sure that both the phones are with me.. because i had the instinct thought from their behavior two days after they arrived, i dont know to explain )

How would you feel ? how would you react ?

2. preethivignesh

preethivignesh Gold IL'ite

Your FIL would have picked up by mistake. Dont think too much about them. Just inform them that you will pick the call when ur at home. Make sure you speak from the living room rather than your bedroom. In the night keep the phone on the living room on mute, so that they won't be disturbed.. I hope this may solve your problem.

2 people like this.
  3. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

If he picked the call by mistake he could have started speaking from the beginning. I wouldn't have felt bad.
    I spoke with the person for about 30 to 40 sec or may be a little longer because he was not audible... so fil should not have picked the call once the ring stops rit?

4. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

If you know that someone took the phone the other side, say in loud voice, "appa/amma (or in common without referring anyone), i answered the phone,now you can keep the phone down, i couldn't hear because of the two line disturbance" do this whenever you have the doubt someone is on the other line.
    If they are doing it purposefully then they will stop doing it after three four incidents like this. Otherwise tell them not to attend the calls when you and Dh are at home. This will reduce the misunderstandings.

2 people like this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

You already seem to be cautious when talking with your parents or friends of keeping both phones with you, so I guess the issue of them overhearing you when you speak with your folks is ruled out. So nothing to worry about in this regard, I believe!

Now coming to the call fro your FIL... I can think of the following scenarios -

1) Your FIL was expecting a call at that time, he knew it was for him and picked up the phone. He remained quiet wanting to confirm it was indeed for him and did not interrupt since you were already talking.

2) He did not know you were already answering the phone in the other room, he was near the phone he picked up and before he could say anything, you had picked up the phone and he knew it was for him, so he was just waiting for you to finish talking, the other person to finish talking and then he announced his presence.

If I were you, I would not think too much of this one incident... hardly anything to be embarrassed about. If this were to happen another time when the call is actually not for your FIL and you still feel someone is overhearing, casually walk out with the phone and if they are indeed holding the other phone to their ear, indicate you got it and carry on!

Remember, any VoIP is bound to have disturbance sometimes and it may not always be the case of 2 phones! It might also just be a dip in the wi-fi or the internet that may cause the echoing or the static or whatever else.

5 people like this.
  6. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Thank you all for pouring you thoughts.

It may be a misunderstanding from my side. I feel sorry if this is my bad. I am not able to see the positive side of things when it comes to in-laws cos of my troubled relations with them right from day 1 of marriage.

why I suspect of overhearing is two days after they arrived here, during evening coffee time, mil told fil "here they have two phones, so I can overhear what you speak with others and then they both laughed".

also the other day mil asked me why am I keeping both the phones with me while I am speaking. to this I said, since we have two phones here, I don't want others to overhear what I speak.

7. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

understand your viewpint and where you come from. At the same time give benefit of doubt and be watchful and if there is reoccurance then you can take the steps ppl mentioned above else forget it ever happened