1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Over a cup of coffee............

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

So there we sat, three innocent but extremely dear friends, fumbling for words. We had met first day at college, by college I mean eleventh, in those days plus 2 (eleventh and twelfth) was attached to a college and not school. It was instant magnetism and we struck a common chord. On this particular March afternoon, Pearl had courteously agreed to reschedule her afternoon’s program of laundry-folding and sock-matching to accept our urgent invitation to meet over a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I was ordered to drop all my schedule downright, to be there. As the three of us sat there tongue-tied and awkward, I managed to find my tongue and place the order not even bothering to ask them for their choice, for I knew their choice better than they themselves. Pearl would go for anything mild, Dia was the in-between one , whereas I liked it very strong, and this stood true even for our disposition. Yes, we had been best of buddies, spending literally every afternoon at the college canteen, sipping the wishy-washy coffee made by, “Choumpi”……yes that was his nickname…Choumpi loved our company , in fact he loved girls in any size, shape and color and he would rush to attend to our table causing great deal of annoyance to our male friends.
    Why did this coffee taste so terrible today? Star bucks was always proud of the premium beans which they used to create a unique blend, incorporating the supreme qualities resulting in a spicy, full-bodied coffee with exotic notes , so in all possibilities they couldn’t have gone wrong today. It was our terrible moods which had transcended to the coffee.
    All this had started with a hysterical call, a call close to desperation from Dia, as I said before she was the intermediate one, a little bit of this and a little bit of that, well balanced and well rounded. So now that was odd, and she dropped the bomb. We have made up our minds to part ways, it doesn’t seem to work. Of course she was referring to Satish,….. why, what, how ???;;my brain was brainstorming. Satish was our college buddy too (in 11th and 12th) and after a smooth-sailing courtship, which continued as episode part- 2 to the dental college campus and then to part-3 at the P.G. level they got married in ceremonial splendor. Now what could have gone wrong? I ruled out the MIL, DIL, SIL issues, for she didn’t have any…FIL was a general practitioner, though old he still saw a few of his old clients and kept himself busy. Satish was the sweetest husband; but was an innate prankster and Dia a moderation . Few times his jokes had not gone well with Dia and they did have baby fights. This was the only conclusion Pearl and me could reach that night after a chat on the phone, something to do with his frolic ways which went acidic with Dia.
    She had called for us to meet the very next day to discuss this, She refused to say anything extensive on the phone. I had to pick up my kids the next day from their basket ball sessions, my Dh cancelled his meeting and agreed to do that. I lent my maid to Pearl to collect her little one from the school bus.
    Dia spoke first, “come on your coffee is getting cold…., don’t look so downcast”. I couldn’t be patient any longer, I blasted her, “speak up will you?, what the hell were you blabbering on the phone?” Pearl added softly “...and what about Sakshi, she is still so young?”
    To which she threw her head behind (same like good old days) and started giggling, her skin was still unblemished and hair colored in auburn streaks. The bearer came in with a Muffin with a candle and soft as a cat… walks in Satish with a bright green gift wrapped packet and before I knew what was happening I heard the familiar tune… it was the happy bay song. Pearly too was totally unaware of all this, Dia and her prankster DH had planned everything. They were abroad attending a conference for my Bday which was a few weeks ago. Dia had not called, nor texted me, I thought she must have forgotten it in the midst of her conference where she was presenting a paper. I was a bit cheerless though,, ..that of all the people she would miss my Bday, and we did speak on her return, but still she had not wished me a belated BDAY even. We all become babies at times, don’t we??? Attention deficit syndrome…ha…ha :rotfl?
    So what if my much loved Starbucks coffee had turned into ice-coffee :coffee…I was kept warm with the heat of friendship…which had stood the test of time.
    While she sat there blabbering about her creative, adventurous, plan to Pearl (who was still recovering)….I smiled….so Satish had conquered her completely to his prankster ways!!!! God bless these beautiful minds…….:bowdown
    Megalife

16 people like this.

2. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

Oh that was lovely!! Inspite of the tension caused by the prank, it still gave you a very memorable belated birthday celebrations!!

Belated happy birthday to you :)

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    Lovely snippet and God what a lovely prank your friend pulled on you...Wow you 3 must be bestest of friends.....

Belated Birthday Wishes dear

4. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Happy belated birthday MegaLife :)
    As ur name suggests - i wish u have all the possible pleasures in Mega sizes in life :)

your post reminds me of my first b'day post wedding.
    At 12, the candle blowing and cake cutting was over, Raj got a beautiful cake a gift and an awesome rose bouquet.

After all this was over, I was waiting for calls from my friends and then there was one chap who called up. I picked up the fone in super duper excitement only to hear "Sorry shalu. So stupid of me for having typed the wrong number and am so sorry for disturbing ur sleep in such cold climate". And he just disconnected.

I had tears rolling down my eyes..I felt so bad tht he dint even bother to know how/why was i awake at that hour to pick his call onthe very first ring.

Then there was another call "Shalu, cud u pls make some tea, we are almost frozen outside ur front door:) "

Friends are so precious. :)

2 people like this.
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear mega,

I was waiting anxiously for the HAPPY ending.:)

wow! what fun it must have been, I can quite imagine.

it was almost three years back that I met up with two of my best friends from school and it was just great.

and before i forget ..belated birthday wishes.. I am sure you had a lovely one.:)

6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Mega, what a lovely way to celebrate your bday...such a good friends u have..
    god bless u all...

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi rheaa
    Thanks for the first feedback which is always extra special. Yeah pearl and me were chatting almost an hour trying to figure out as to what might have gone wrong, while dia and her dh were cooking up this plan.
    Mega

8. ramyaraja

ramyaraja Gold IL'ite

Hi Megalife,

Belated birthday wishes.. wonderful heart warming way to celebrate birthday.. wishes from friends are always special that with loads of suspense.. kudos to ur friends and your friendship...

9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi bunny baby
    So u had lovely wk. end, read of your trip in the coffee morning! Thanks for the feedback and wishes.....oh..yeah we are the BEASTSSst of friends...lol.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi sbonigala
    Ha...ha...so they caught you in your pyjamas.....cute. Friends bring out the best in you, they stick by you in ur thick and thin......amen to that.
    Mega

1 person likes this.