Oven Roasted Potatoes.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Grace3, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Does anyone know the technique for making potato roast / fries / wedges using the oven ? I've tried 4 or 5 recipes from different blogs, but they either leave the potatoes too dried out & tough ; or they are not browned at all , just softened like regular boiled potatoes.
    I try with 2 medium potatoes, every weekend -- but they turn out unsatisfactory.

Does anyone have a fool-proof recipe for the same ? Please share here.

Are the potato wedges we get in Pizza Hut, oven roasted or fried ?? They are beautiful crisp outside with soft buttery interior -- can they be made at home ?

2. Suprajak

Suprajak New IL'ite

Dear Grace3,

Oven roasted potatoes are just easy to make if you follow these steps.

1. Use baked potatoes and cut them to your desired shape and size.
    Wash them and half cook them in the microwave without water.
    Use the baked potato setting in the microwave.

2. Instead of Oil use cooking spray to coat the potatoes evenly.

3. Add spices, salt if you like.

4. Preheat the oven at 400 degreess

5. Bake the potatoes in a greased baking sheet for 40 min. Remove and Stir the potatoes every 15 minutes while baking to get evenly browned potatoes.

Enjoy................:thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. richass

richass Bronze IL'ite

Thats an interesting recipe
    supraja
    thank you for sharing

4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi supraja...
    thanks for the receipe...
    sounds interesting...

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Supraja,

I used to slice them, mix with oil + seasonings & place directly in oven. I think your technique of half-cooking them , before roasting in oven is the key step !! I don't use microwave, so I'll boil them till semi-done & try out your method.

Thanks.

6. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

I tried something similar to this. Not sure if its the kind you are looking for.. but would like to share the recipie.
    Boil potatoes in cooker or mw and peel them. If they are big potatoes, cut them into large cubes, if baby potatoes, leave them whole just make a few pricks with fork around them. Sprinkle salt, chilli powder, pepper powder, dhaniya powder, aamchur(dry mango powder), chat masala. These are all left to individual choice, some may like it spicy, some may prefer tangy. Then squeeze some lime juice and also add 1 spoon of cooking oil. Mix well such that all the potatoes are well coated in the marinade. Refrigerate for half an hour or so.
    For those who use mw, use the combi mode of mw -> combi + grill + micro and keep at 60% power for about 3 mins depending on the quantity of potatoes. This makes it quite crispy and gives a hint of the tandoori effect.
    For those without mw, stir fry the potatoes in a pan, add a bit of oil to prevent sticking.
    The marinate makes the outside crispy and adds to the flavour, while the inside is soft and fully cooked.

7. Susila

Susila New IL'ite

Dear Grace,

I have seen my American friend serve oven roasted potatoes. But they were small round new potatoes. She scrubbed them and cut into half. Placed it on a greased baking sheet and sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with rock salt and paprika and roasted in the oven till browned and crisp. They tasted really good served with an aioli sauce which is a type of mayonnaise.

Susi

8. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Syama ; your version seems nice spicy & yummy. Will try it out sometime & post the result here.

9. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Dear Susi,

I've been trying that way only, but with sliced Russet or Yukon potatoes ; maybe I must try with baby potatoes and follow your friend's method. Any idea for how long & what temperature in oven , we must bake them ? And can you share the recipe for this aioli sauce -- never heard of it before !

Thanks.

10. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

After posting my recepie, it made my tongue water, and I was tempted to make it again yesterday :idea. It came out yummy.. its a sure hit with DH, he loves it.