1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Out Of Control Chocolate Cravings

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Shreema86, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I have always had a sweet tooth but lately my chocolate cravings have gone out of control. I am finishing up an entire bar of chocolate everyday apart from little sugar in other forms. Although I stick to dark chocolate , the quantity I eat is a high amount of sugar for a person to have in a day.. I am unable to reduce my chocolate intake.If I deny myself to eat, I am depressed cranky and that is all I can think about . I know , I know sugar is very bad, and I am very afraid of consequences if I go on like this,( I already have heal acne, candida etc..) , but I just can't stop.. Ladies, any innovative ideas to reduce chocolate cravings?

Sandycandy likes this.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, I am not the best person to be giving my 2 cents on this, as I have never had a sweet tooth and am one of those ppl who don't add sugar to tea because natural sugar in milk is enough for me.. But since you mentioned dark chocolate I thought I'd chip in.

Is the craving for sugar or dark chocolate? Meaning if I suggest that you have darker (higher cacao %) chocolate, would you have to consume other sugary foods to feel good or would you be fine? I am posting a picture of labels (sugar) comparison between Ghirardelli 86% and 72% cacao & you can see for yourself that the sugar content is only 5gm in 4 sections in 86% as compared to 10gms in 3 in the 72%.. So, if you love dark chocolate then you can try substituting higher cacao varieties to consume less sugar .. But ONLY if you don't start consuming sugar in other forms!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Shreema86 and Sandycandy like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Do you like dates?or there are raisins covered with chocolate dip which is preferable for you as of now.
    Also,eat well and healthy.You should not feel any hunger.

Are you in any stress?sugar makes
    One feel relaxed and comfortable.

Lastly,if you ask me don't control.Eat till you feel satiated.You will get overwhelmed in few days and you can reduce the habit.Problem starts only when you try to control

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There are many reasons why you might crave sugar. The simplest is that you have trained yourself to require it. In that case it is purely psychological; you can train yourself out of it, with a bit of effort. More complicated reasons could be psycho-physiological - stress, insulin resistance and the like. If your body is insulin resistant (pre-diabetes, metabolic syndrome etc.), you crave to raise sugar levels in the blood (look it up). First figure out what the basis of this craving might be. Keep a diary of your intake (amount, times, form etc.). Have a complete physical done. Then take it from there and figure out ways to modify your behavior.

If it is simply the case that you crave it because you have a tendency to succumb to the craving, then try a slow reduction or substitution. Cut down by one chocolate square a day, so you don't feel the withdrawal. Another option, if you live in the United States, might be to get a food dehydrator. That will help you make fruit chips - sweet and mostly healthy! Keep in mind that recent research shows that sugar substitutes are not very healthy either, bringing their own set of problems. Never forget - sugar will age you faster any other single substance on the planet.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Shreema86 and Naari like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Some women crave chocolate during "that" time of the month. I have a sweet tooth and can go on a sugar binge, but if I stop sweets completely there are no cravings whatsoever .

Shreema86 and Naari like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Shreema86 - I have this issue too. I needed three spoons of sugar in my coffee. I needed sweets every now and again. I tried cutting back little by little. I tried substituting with brown sugar. I tried making it dark chocolate. Nothing worked. I had to quit cold turkey. I had a migraine from hell for a week but then got used to the no sugar regime. It is a battle of will for sure. I started back again because of an ailment and a lot of fatigue. I still can't take the huge amounts of sugar in my coffee or extra sweet chocolate. I'm going to quit all of it again this week. I'll do fruits and other natural sugars though. I won't completely stop. Eating enough protein and making sure the diet is well balanced ensures I succeed. I hope I find the time to prep and plan meals.

Shreema86 likes this.
  7. Shreema86

Thanks for the label info ! I crave for chocolate , not so much other sugary foods. Currently I have dark choc in range of 75-80 percent , which has acceptable sugar level when eaten in moderation . higher than that I don't really like the taste. I guess I have to portion control somehow!

8. Shreema86

Ya, maybe I should just let this run its course . Not in stress, but ya chocolate always improves mood, I guess I am sub consciously eating constantly to keep my mood levels up.

anika987 likes this.
  9. Shreema86

Thank you, this was very helpful. Ya sugar ages a person fast that's why I am so worried . I am going to try your idea and try to reduce very gradually and also maybe try some mind techniques to stop succumbing to cravings.

10. Shreema86

I have read that as well , but I haven't really noticed such a pattern , I Crave choc all days of the month.!

Sandycandy likes this.