1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our visit to Bhuwaneshwar and Jamshedpur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 13, 2015.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

On 25th March we left for Bhuwaneshwar to spend time with our son's family after a long time. Though they came to our place and stayed with us when they visited from US for a brief holiday, we couldn't go to US and stay with them after 2009.

Our grand children were very happy to see us and we are also enjoying their company. Our grandson who is studying in 7th Standard is very much interested in cricket and daily from 5 to 7 in the evening he plays cricket with his friends. I feel the gated community apartments has its advantages. The children has play area and they benefit from playing in open area in stead of sitting at home and playing cyber games and becoming a couch potato.They also learn different languages quickly. They have become very fluent in Hindi. Hope they will learn fast Oriya also.

Our son didn't like to have a TV at home and didn't have one in US also. He has An Apple IMAC and he could opt to see whatever he wants to see and whenever he wants to see through Internet.That way now we are able to see the IPL matches.

The children are having summer time school from 1st April and the school starts at 6 a.m. And the school bus arrives at 5.40. The children has to get up at 5 in the morning, take bath and have their breakfast. I feel bad to see even LKG students are also having the same time.

On 3rd April we left for Jamshedpur which gave us our livelihood and where we also enjoyed the cosmopolitan environment nearly for 38 years. Our friends were inviting us to visit the place and we went there after 21 years. It was an emotional scene when we hugged each other and shared our past memorable events. We went and saw the flat where we stayed for 24 years and where our children grew up.
    Me eyes welled with tears when I saw the condition of the flat without proper maintenance. Due to labour problem and various reasons the truck production had been shifted to other parts of the country. Yet the roads and parks are all well maintained as Tata-Cummins is functioning.

The Tamilians has built a Subramanya Swamy Temple there which is known as Sri Varasakthi Vinayaka Subramanya Swami Temple. First the tiffinwalas only built the vinayakar Temple. Under the guidance of Acharya Jeyendra Swamikal who was at Jamshedpur at that time the consecration was performed in the year 1974. From then onwards until we left Jamshedpur my DH was Treasurer for the temple. Money was collected by screening 16 MM pictures, mostly MGR pictures as the people were crazy over him for developing and maintaining the temple. Even the members took P F loan for construction of the Sannadhis which came later.

Later on Adhi Sankara, lord Anjaneya, lord Aiyappa, Sri Durga, shiva Lingam, Devi Parvathi, Navagrahas Shirdi Saibaba were all installed.
    we also visited another temple on a hillock where Lord Balaji,Sri Bhuwaneshwari, and Guruvayurappan are worshipped. When we were there there was no road to the temple, but now vehicles could reach the top.

Then we visited the Sri Ram Mandhir where my F-I-L was working as a priest and where he was stabbed near the Tulsi plant when he was sleeping. There are both sad and sweet memories where we spent most part of our llife.

]Another sad thing is I could not meet even a single colleague of mine. We spent the three days with our close friends after having a whale of time we returned to Bhuwaneshwar.

4 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Once in a way, it is nice to meet old friends and have a chat.I met my friend in Saravana Bhavan after 36 years,All along she was in North India.For the past 20 years we have good contacts.Though she is settled in Hyd, whenever she comes to madras once in 6 months, she and her husband come home, stay with us for a day or two. We enjoy talking about our school days in Srirangam. Memories are sweet.
    Jayasala 42

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Jaya,
    One friend used to come to Chennai every year and she used to come to our house. The other one is having health problems and she never travels and she won' talk on phone also as her hearing power has reduced. But I used to talk to her daughter and she used to convey message and also show the photos which I post in FB. This daughter determined not to marry and she is of my daughter's age. Now after her father expired she fully takes care of her mother. She has one younger brother and elder sister and when they come on holiday she used to take leave and go to visit places with her friends.
    Most of our friends has settled in Chennai and so we have get together.

PS

4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear PS,
    nice to read of your trip and stay with son and family. It is always such a pleasure to visit places where we have spent a long time - especially nostalgic memories!

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Joylokhi,
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your fb.
    A place where our children grew up and the well planned city and the lot of friends we had,we could never forget.
    Now we have formed a group in FB and arranging get togethers in the city where we are staying.

PS

1 person likes this.
  6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Nice to hear that you had a wonderful time with family and old friends.in my last trip I met my college mate after a span of 26 years.It was wonderful.It really peps us up.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS ma'm,

I can see clearly what a warm memorable trip you had. So nice to see your grand kids adapt so easily. Cricket is so much fun no? Staying in a place for so long is bound to have so many memories and am glad you got a taste of what life was there once again, though it brought some not so sweet memories.

Happy to read this.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Kanaka,
    Once I met one of my school class mate when we went on a tour. As we met after a very long time first we both could not recognize each other. Nearly at the end of the tour only we recognized each other and it was a pleasant surprise for both of us.

Meeting friends and visiting the place where we spent most of our prime years really peps us up. Thanks for sharing your experience,

PS

9. Divya332

Divya332 New IL'ite

What a nice trip you had! :) I am looking forward to my vacation as well ))))

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sabitha,
    In fact we were very much worried whether the children will be able to adapt after spending the early part of their childhood at US. To our great relief quite soon they got adapted to the new environment.
    Soon after my marriage I went to Jamshedpur and only after my DH's retirement we left for Chennai. I feel the life there was completely different and the sweet memories were still lingering. The two friends of mine were so happy and felt that we could have stayed for a few more days.

Enjoyed our trip to the hilt at both places.

PS