1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our Republic - Is It Regular Or The Banana Kind?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I enjoyed the satire and monologue at sanctum.
    God listens but yet to ged rid of His Mattress and consort(s).
    Thanks & Regards to OP & other respondents here.

meenasankaran likes this.
  2. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Thanks to both who dissented and who agreed with my political views. A healthy democracy requires civil discourse and policy debates to thrive. This close to the election, I am pretty sure most of us have made up our minds as to which party we are supporting but to those of you who are on the fence and undecided, I want to say this and you are most welcome to disagree.

This midterm election is not about which side can do better for the country. It is not about Biden or Trump. It is really about only one issue. Do we fight for democracy or do we embrace authoritarianism? GOP has election-deniers running for Congress in many states who have openly said that they will not certify the results of an election if their side loses. That is a slippery slope to fascism. They are saying out loud that they will pass a national ban on abortion and come after same-sex marriages next. Why do I care about that? Because my daughters shouldn't have to worry tomorrow when they are planning a family that they may not get life-saving medical treatment if they need it because the government prohibits it and the government has no business telling people whom to love and whom to marry.

When both sides agree to respect the results of a free and fair election, let's sit down and talk policies. I will be happy to bring samosas and coffee too. :) Until then, I will vote blue no matter who.

I will wrap up my responses to this thread here. Thanks again for pitching in with your thoughts.

SunPa, Mistt, deepthyanoop and 2 others like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi @Meenashankaran,

Thank you for a serious topic that you presented in this snippet with satire. All the disasters happened from the mind are man made and God is not responsible for it having given everyone a political.

Whatever may be the political affiliation, the following are unacceptable social behavior:

1) Telling women what to do with their body
    2) Gun violence against innocent children in the school
    3) Too much interference in the affairs of other countries without a formal request
    4) Proliferation of nuclear weapons
    5) Thriving on tax-payers money
    6) Preventing legal citizens from voting through devious means
    7) Excessive governance
    8) Corruption in any form
    9) Denying election results and making attempts to fix the election results

One or more of these practices will make any country banana republic.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    SunPa likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The mid-term elections are around the corner on November 8. Go and vote representative and senator and whatever of your choice.
    Your own God,
    HARI OM !!!

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

What I meant is God is not responsible having given everyone a discriminating faculty.