1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our Republic - Is It Regular Or The Banana Kind?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Oct 12, 2022.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

For a while now, I have had my suspicion that God has been fast asleep on the job. Why? Just take a look around. Hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, draught, unhinged leaders waging unprovoked wars, children slaughtered at their school desks by gunmen - you name it, we got it. It is a veritable menu for Armageddon.

Excuse me Mr. God. This is your last Alexa wake up call. It's time to rise and shine. Human race is on a mad race towards chaos, in case you haven't noticed. I, for one, would love to live out the rest of my life in peace without the world exploding like a highly flammable propane gas tank every 5 minutes around me. It is time for you to change out of your pajamas, stop staring at the heavenly screen in a post-lunch food coma and report to duty asap.

Do allow me to catch you up on what we earthlings have been up to while you were taking a nap. Guess what? Uteruses in the US now have a brand new master. No silly, it is not us who house them. It is our State governments, of course. Why? Because the highest court in our country recently woke up and decided that we, the little women, were too weak to make decisions about our own health and needed guardians. As a mother, you don't know what a relief it is to know that if my daughters ever need life-saving medical help in future, they can count on the wise counsel and expert medical advice of our congressmen and senators. The next time we women faint, do you think the government will come running with the smelling salts too? No, I think we are still only a regular republic, not the banana kind. At least not yet.

Moving on, I have a small request for you. When politicians lie to their constituents endlessly every single day, can you not make their noses grow like Pinocchio? And when they spew hate and fear to pit us against each other, can you make that long nose twist like a Narwhal's? I would pay to be a fly on the wall to watch Congress in session where half of them are busy navigating the famed halls carefully in order to not to get caught on each other's noses.

By the way, when you catch a breath, can you do something about the Republican politicians please? How is it that any time a legislation comes to the floor that would actually help its citizens, the only lever all of them seem to pull is the big old NO? Help reduce prescription drug cost for seniors by capping insulin at $35 a month - NO. Provide medical care for our veterans who have returned home from war with debilitating illness - NO. Let's fix the railroads, failing bridges and improve infrastructure - NO. Passing Voting rights so every citizen's vote will be counted - a big fat NO. Do you think the YES lever is broken in their voting machines? I always thought the role of the government was, how do I put it delicately, to govern. I can be naïve like that sometimes.

If I promise not to bug you anymore, would you take one last request Mr. God? To my worried fellow citizens who are rightfully concerned that their 401K has taken a hit, would you remind them that their 401K will grow again tomorrow but democracy, once lost, is lost forever.

Election day is November 8th, 2022. Early voting has started in many States. Please make a plan to vote.

Mistt, Gauri03, Thyagarajan and 8 others like this.

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Nice write up.

On the surface it will look like the Republicans are evil. But digging down deeper, Americans have the Republicans to thank for, on so many things and the country owes them lot. Democrats are like the Congress in India. Leave them in power for a while and they will bring the country down to its knees.

Can't wait for Biden to go out. Truly a worthless guy. The less one talks about Obama the better. Both he and his wife are raking up billions and the dude did nothing for the minority. It's all about the Obama legacy.

The democratic leaders all have their own agenda and nothing which will organically build a stronger nation.
    Wait till the Republicans come to power and the Dems will be holding the NO sign for everything.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    meenasankaran, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Indeed. He is the prime example of say one thing during elections, and then go fist bump.
    mbs.png

The Voter's Self Defense System (Biden's voting record on abortion)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/politics/biden-abortion-rights.html
    "Mr. Biden entered the Senate in 1973 as a 30-year-old practicing Catholic who soon concluded that the Supreme Court went “too far” on abortion rights in the Roe case. He told an interviewer the following year that a woman shouldn’t have the “sole right to say what should happen to her body.”"
    He might have since totally changed his opinion, for whatever reasons, but let's not forget the opinions he once held. Walls like Roe v Wade don't fall in one go. The bricks are loosened over decades by opinions like this.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Thyagarajan and Thoughtful like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

While the Republicans have been saying YES to everything the Democrats ever proposed?

meenasankaran and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You’re blaming a 30-year old Biden’s opinion on abortion for the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022?

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meena,

Welcome back and it is always such a delight to see you. I have opinions about politics and politicians but don't share much. That said, I do agree to what you say here -
    he sure must be asleep on job or just plain tired out with all that we do that he cannot do anything but sleep. He needs to wake up, no doubt about that!

If he is not ready to wake up yet, he needs to do what you have suggested at least :)
    I go through these feelings, not just with politics but generally when I look around in society and wonder - when I see my students is when I feel the most. I sometimes feel standing up there lecturing to them, it is a battle I am losing but thank fully I do not lose hope and believe that all that I do/talk/preach will come handy!

Good to see you Meena! Keep writing!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

My point exactly. When is another political party going to be saying YES to everything. Why even bring that up.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Those were not his views only as a young 30-something. Even two decades later, at 52 years old, Biden wrote this letter: BidenLetter94 in which he said:
    ... I will continue to abide by the same principle that has guided me throughout my 21 years in the Senate: those of us who are opposed to abortion should not be compelled to pay for them. As you may know, I have consistently -- on no fewer than 50 occasions -- voted against federal funding of abortions. ...
    When someone has voted multiple times to disallow rape and incest exceptions for federal funding of abortions, it is hard to focus only on their evolved stand on the issue.

I am saying: Walls like Roe v Wade don't fall in one go. The bricks are loosened over decades by opinions and votes like these.

Thyagarajan and Thoughtful like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

But he did not say that he opposes access to abortions, does he?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I still don’t understand what great good the GOP has done for the country, except pass tax cuts for the wealthy.