1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our First Christmas tree....................

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kasisheela, Dec 12, 2007.

1. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

After moving to US me and my husband were deciding to keep a christmas tree in our home.We joyfully started our planning as soon as december was born.

It was a great enjoyment to shop for those items in different shops.We felt as if our mind has returned to those childhood days.This christmas tree work can be very well related to our good old golu where we start planning well ahead and enjoy the same.

Our first shopping was for the Christmas tree,after lot of arguments in the shop we finally selected a 6.5 inch tree with pre strung lights on them.Ok,the tree selection was over.Then came the accesories to be hung on the trees.Wow,how many articles with miniature work in it.Jus going in and around the aisles itself gave a lot of enjoyment.Finally we selected two types of ornaments.

Then of course comes our dear santa.Santa clause in whatever form we see we tend to feel happy.Now our christmas tree is all set and glowing out.The bright lights tend a give a colourful feeling to our heart.We are also planning to give gifts to small kids on christmas eve.The smile in the faces of the kids is equal to thousands of roses blooming together.We had also set up a christmas kudil.

Right from childhood days i had the interest of having christmas tree in my home,but did not get the opportunity for that.Now i feel very happy and sit hours together before the tree watching its beauty.

I have attached herewith picture of my first christmas tree.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very nice pictures and very interesting to read too..Dear Shantha..It is an experience to do all of this..The real tree has such an unique smell that its an unqiue experience..and the lights and decorations..though we dont keep tree I keep lights outside bec we both are fond of lights..I always buy after the festival is over thereby getting clearance prices..fyi..are you also planning to bake goodies..keep blogin..

3. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Thanks for ur comments.I am planning to bake cake for christmas.Ya its really a lovely experience which will be in our thoughts forever.Even our friends told that they used to buy in clearance.We are planning to do the same and bought only some accesories now.

4. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

We started the Christmas tree tradition in our house as well many years ago - we started with a small artificial tree and then moved on to the real one - like Chitra says, the smell is amazing! Over the years I have bought many ornaments and I do enjoy decorating the tree and of course I bake cookies - that is the best part!

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Shantha,

Very enjoyable reading about your first christmas experience. Though we do not keep a tree. we do all the christmas baking( cake, cookies etc) , listen to christmas music all day long, give gifts and so on.
    Your tree looks very nice girl. Also next time you go to India , you can get some nice ethnic ornaments from gurjari and such places.

6. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear Shobana,
    Thanks a lot for your comments.After u all have told about the real one i am also eager to get one next year.Where can we get it? in walmart?in nursery section?ya,as years pass by ornaments will pile up and the tree will look even more lovely.Do post some pictures of your tree.Once again thanx for stepping in.

7. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear Vandana,
    Thanks for ur lovely comments.Sure, i will make it up when i go to India next time.Nice to hear about all u do for christmas.Am planning to do Cake for christmas.By the way can u pass on the cookie recipe,so that i can also try this time.Thanks.

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

You can get a real christmas tree at Home depot or Lowes etc. dear Shantha..you can also recycle them there after use..In my town there are plenty of places along the main roads that sell these trees..they will teach how to water etc..because you need to keep watering them frequently..glad to hear you're going in full swing..keep blogin..

9. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi kasisheela, I can't see your tree but loved reading about your first christmas tree. My family and I have been having christmas tree for years. I love decorating the tree every year. we even exchange gifts. I collect one special ornament each year which is unique. I love to bake cookies and cakes also every year.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

nice write up shantha,
    i think all our indian tradition put together is christmas, our golu and diwali looks combined here, but none to beat the idea of getting the children to list out what they want to santa so the parents can try and get what they want, or tell them if they behaved well santa might bring next christmas..sunkan