1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ouch…I just fell off my moral high horse! And it hurts.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Sep 22, 2010.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

I always knew he was clever but I never realized just how much. I had no clue that he was capable of such devious plotting. I concede that I wrote a few articles here at his expense. Okay, so I pulled his leg a few times publicly and enjoyed it too but for a spouse of 16 years, couldn’t he just take it in his stride? Was this action really necessary? Could you, in all honesty, justify it?

Let me be frank here. I didn’t see it coming at all. Not until it fell into my lap. I never once heard him drop him any hints like ‘If I go down, I am taking you down with me.’ Instead, he kept it under tight wraps till that day just so he could catch me off guard. According to him, it was a ‘surprise’ for me! Yeah, right…..like I am buying it. It wasn’t enough that he ended up an addict. He had to now go and make me one too.

Guess what my husband got me recently? A Droid phone with 24/7 internet access, that’s what. How low can he get? Has he no shame?

Before receiving this gift, I was having such a splendid time looking down my nose at the Droid phone addiction of the world at large, feeling superior about my self-control and strutting around with a smug smile plastered on my face. Riding high on a moral high horse was my specialty then. These days I can’t even crawl on the back of a moral pig.

Upon accepting his gift, I first gave him a look that would have withered a healthy young plant, then pulled up a chair and got busy. Obviously, there was no time to waste with a whole new world to explore at my fingertips. Several You Tube videos were beckoning me with the promise of entertainment, a built-in voice recorder was begging me to play with it and a digital camera was tempting me to click the ‘Kodak moments’ of life away. With these, also came a plethora of free applications that offered to keep track of my grocery lists, calorie intake, frequency of burping, pulse rate, dry cleaning schedule and cooking recipes. Oh, get this. I even found a free app to download a special pink calendar to keep track of my menstrual cycle with all its lovely details. Can’t believe it? Well, if I didn’t see it myself, I wouldn’t have believed it either. It is a miracle indeed.

If God had ever dangled this Droid phone along with the fruit from the tree of knowledge as forbidden in the Garden of Eden, guess what Adam and Eve would have chosen? Could you really blame them? Come on, you have got to admit that even Satan would bow low in submission to such devilry.

So now I have officially joined the ranks of the many whose lives are inexplicably tied to their phones.

Yesterday evening, I looked up for a minute from my Droid phone only to find my husband and daughter sprawled over the couch across from me with their eyes locked onto their respective phones. Just weeks ago, stumbling upon a scene like this would have led me to launch one of my well-rehearsed lectures on the ill effects of technology addiction and ways to develop self-control. Now, all I can do is heave a sigh of resignation and get back to my game.

You have got to hand it to my husband. He really did kill 2 birds with one stone here. He got me (my friends insist) a great gift while at the same time, silencing my protests and lectures about his phone addiction effectively. Obviously the man is devious!

2. LightOfVictory

LightOfVictory Junior IL'ite

Since Meena had joined the (other) addicted world, I am tempted to follow suit :) Will I be able to continue to run on my high horse? Will have to wait and see!

Guess, boys learn this art from their childhood itself :spin
    You've learnt it from your husband and tempting us to join your world!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Awww.... This is not fair at all Meena Sankaran. You are spreading a very bad virus here.I have been thinking about buying the I Phone 4 to match my Mac Pro because I have been using the same old Samsung for the past eight years but was feeling guilty to discard it without any valid reason. Now you have added this new temptation, talking about the Droid phone and I can feel myself being lured!! Am almost getting ready for a piggy ride......

4. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Meena ji,
    This is a good addiction!! I just got EVO 4g...all the apps are so addicting.
    Loved your thread btw.

Enjoy!
    Oopall

5. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

That was a real nice post...And your husbans'd idea of silencing your lectures by getting you the phone is really very nice :) Enjoyed reading...Thanks for sharing...

6. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Hey Meena,
    So you fell of in such a bad condition, that you are not even able to climb a pig atleast!! So sad dear Meena,:biglaugh:biglaugh

By the way, Congrats dear for becoming the proud owner of Droid
    and for completing a trilogy on 'Droid' phone (If I remember and follow your posts correctly)

As usual, your post made me enjoy reading.:cheers

7. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear meena,
    That was a lovely post ,my dear.I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
    I don't know much about these mobile phones and their various features.My husband got me mobile recently,a regular one and said,"You can do this you can do that etc.There is a camera.But all I do is to attend to my phone when my daughters ring up.
    Enjoy the new addiction in your life.
    love
    mithila

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena
    Your DH is clever ehh he might have seen the lectures that you gave here so thought that when I am sitting down with the new instrument let me make my wife too get addicted to it...hahaha
    All the best with your new time pass:)

9. charvi2811

charvi2811 Junior IL'ite

Congratulations.

An Android X WOW!!!!!! Great phone with amassing applications !!!

Enjoy the addiction as you become part of the Tech Savvy Bandwagon:):):)

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Hilarious and devious at the same time.Poor fellow spent good money on the phone for u, huis loving wife, and u criticize him eh ! :rotflSo bad of u, but good for us, for u make us laugh till we fall down to the floor.

Lovely peice as usual from u.Can u ever be serious in life eh ! :biglaugh

My daughter was gifted a Blackberry by her inlaws, and she lost it in india, and i bought her one to replace it, though they said dont, now she is ours, we ill buy her a new one, i said she is still mine:biglaugh

She tries telling me the features, like chatting free etc, but i dont want to get addicted to it, i am happy with my small simple nokia, which is sufficent to my needs.HAHA

Regards

kamal