1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ouch…! That Hurts…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Feb 16, 2008.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Last month I was grounded… by a stranger called toothache. I used to take pride in my capacity to suffer physical pain… Foolhardy, I know….but being used to chronic back pain, I can carry on with backaches and headaches for months together before an exasperated husband drags me to a doc. That’s what I did the last four months. I bore severe muscular pain right around my right shoulder blade by popping Voveran pills as and when I required it… ie. whenever pain became unbearable. Finally, unable to see my grimaces and silent groans of pain, miyaji got violently angry (a rather rare occurrence!) and forced me to ring up my Ortho and fix up an appointment.
    As expected, Dr. J ordered me off the PC and suggested a new chair. I told him I hated anything that moved under me…so wheeled chairs were a no-no…Even those that swivelled were taboo for me…The better- half looked heavenward before telling the doc that he is blessed with the only unreasonable female on the earth who has silly fetishes about chairs. I maintained stiff upper-lip and stood my grounds till a compromise was reached about searching for a chair with arms to rest my right hand so that my back muscles would get support while I blog….( What sacrifice one has to go through, for self expression!) And he prescribed a couple of pills to pop and scheduled another meeting after 5 days!
    Then I had this busiest Friday with around 16 people for lunch and I cooked and cooked and cooked the whole morning! All went off well. The next day, I had a slight irritation inside my mouth… a tingling pain at the far end of the teeth on the right… By evening it became a nagging pain… Something I tried to ignore, but in vain… By night it was like a bandh in Kerala… where various political parties get in cahoots to put the spanner in the works… I had tooth, ear and head aches… my eyes refused to open …and I felt sorry for myself…
    24 hours…and I was beat! Dead beat! Frantically I called the nearest hospital and fixed up an appointment with a dentist. She said she was free at 11… I mumbled ‘whatever’. By 9.30 in the morning I was feeling so sorry for myself…By 10 I just couldn’t wait….the pain was killing me. My face now resembled a Halloween pumpkin that had left behind on the shelf after October 30<SUP>th</SUP>! I was ready to dissolve into tears… This new weakling side to my personality amazed me… I had borne far worse pain on the cervical and lumbar regions with fortitude… Now some nagging pain inside the mouth was rendering me helpless! Am I growing soft? Weak? Old? Is my resistance power deserting me? Am I turning into a decrepit geriatric?
    I was at the hospital an hour before my appointment. As I sat in the waiting area, I was wondering why the nurses and attendants clad in white were scurrying past me without even a sympathetic glance? Why did doctors sidle past me? Couldn’t they see an emergency when one sat there feeling sorry for itself with a swollen face? What’s with the new version of Hippocratic Oath? Or had it become hypocritical oath? GRRRR! If no one noticed my plight, I’ll scream!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Right across me were two medical representatives… They were also waiting to see my dentist. Would they get to see her before me? Could they not see my plight? Did they have a solution for my plight in those black bulky bags of theirs? Were they allowed to give free samples of pain killers to patients who were obviously in pain? Was I hallucinating? Aaaaaaah! It hurt… Finally, I just grabbed the skirt of a nurse who had been scurrying to and fro, for God knows what, and told her to inform my dentist that if she was free, I’d like to see her as my pain was getting worse. She looked at me like the clerk in the Government Department who says, ‘Not me… I am from a different section…!’ Maybe the tears in my eyes melted her professionally solidified heart and she networked with a coterie of white-clad and capped nurses and finally one decided to come to my help. She sashayed into the doc’s room and sashayed right back, saying, ‘Doctor busy… Wait for some time!’
    After eons, my turn came. By now I had committed two or three murders in my imagination… Now it was time for retribution! Doc didn’t smile at me sympathetically…What happened to the bedside manners docs were supposed to have? Or didn’t it apply to a dentist because her patients were in chairs…and not beds? She ordered me to sit on a reclining chair that looked like a beach lounge chair! The moment I had comfortably settled in it, somebody cranked some lever and BAM! I fell backwards! Panicky, I scrambled up! Like I said, I am paranoid about things moving under me! <o:p></o:p>
    A masked nurse pushed me back into an uncomfortable angle and lowered a bright light to focus on my face! Soon the doc was jabbing away with a gloved finger in the most painful manner… I felt like biting the finger, gloved or not gloved…but was intimidated by my posture. What if she retaliated with her pliers or chisels or rongeurs or even a scalpel? I lay there helpless as jab after jab and poke after poke and tap after tap on the affected area made me wince and whimper! Believe me, it is tough to whimper and wince when your mouth is hanging open and your tongue is safely stowed into one corner of your mouth!<o:p></o:p>
    She finally decided to retreat and declared that it was only gum inflammation…
    ONLY? It is @###*** killing me!

‘Do you want an injection or a tablet for pain relief?’ She asked, like a casual barber who says “Cut or shave, sir?” So I get to decide…eh? I want an injection, I say. I know jabs will work faster than pills in pain killing! So a jab it was…in an unmentionable section of my posterior as I lay in an inelegant angle… Then I had to lie there for 15 minutes… ‘Doctor’s order’ said the masked nurse, as she dragged wheeled curtains around me cordoning me off from the rest of the OPD area… And I lay there waiting for pain to subside, telling myself, Ouch! It hurts! Still…
    Reached home with a bagful of antibiotics and analgesics… ambled about doing nothing… The next morning the face was still swollen… like a pumpkin being grown for a contest… bigger cheeks…bigger jowls… head pounding more …
    Alone at home… feeling sorry for myself…
    Wanted to share my pain with my friends…
    Hence boring you...
    But one thing is for sure… Toothache is the deadliest of them all! Believe me… I know now.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello Twinsmom,

Great to see you start here with a BANG!!. Ah yes, the visit to the dentist especially when we are in suffereing so much..... I see shades of myself in you. Will not go see a doc, until as my hubby says I am almost in my death bed! But for the slightest toothache, the dentist gets a much deserved visit from me.So am with you there.
    Hope you feel better soon.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Good to see your blogs and posts in IL. And girl, have you returned with a Big Bang! Saw that you have a nomination in Finest Posts too. Keep blogging, so that we keep reading good stuff.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

vow viju,
    once again a great way of describing your emotion, you are great da...sunkan

5. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Am still finding my way around here in blog slot... Please bear with me if I commit blunders... And please do keep reading... nothing is more rewarding than that!
    Regards to you all.