1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Origami Work -sons Interest

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by dhivyacc, Sep 11, 2018.

1. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

He is doing grade 5 and he is about to get 10 days leave.
    Lately he got interest in origami and he does below items:

gift box
    military Tank
    basic shapes and some complex too.

He discussed with his friends and they are his motivation.

To motivate him, I purchased some color papers and gave him.

from last two days he is asking me to start a you tube channel for his work.

Also asked how much it will cost for webpage.

Am not sure at this stage its worth. But he says he will use that 10 days leave and do some videos and upload. he said amma, " I told this suggestion to my friends and they will subscribe to my channel"

My son is eagerly waiting for my response.

Please give suggestions or alternate ideas.

His works few pics attached. DSC_1155.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely demand to have from a child. : ) These days when kids are constantly busy with electronic devices, it is so nice to see a child interested in origami. There is something so gratifying about creating something with one's hands.

IMO, it is worth encouraging. And BTW, he seems to have a good set of friends!

My suggestion:
    - sit with him and have him start the youtube channel. Takes only a few clicks. Lay the condition that you have to know his password. Make this non-negotiable.
    - for webpage, tell him to get started using something free like weebly.com (or wix.com). He and friends can create a basic single page website, again with just a few clicks. Weebly account also you should know the password.

So, technically he can get started with no expense for youtube channel and website. No need to spend on domain name right now. He can use a weebly subdomain, such as http://awesomeorigamidesigns.weebly.com.

I would say for now tell him that other than paper and other origami supplies, you are not spending much money for recording the videos etc. Such as not buying any video editing software.

Will there be supervision while he is accessing youtube and internet? If not, it is a good idea to look into installing monitoring software like NetNanny. This is for general computer use also, not only his current venture.

If he doesn't already know about internet and online safety, go over the basics with him, including things like using only royalty free music, not giving personal info, not chatting with strangers. You can decide if he is allowed to show his face in the videos. If his friends are going to help, their parents may have some rules.

I am a mean mom.. : ) I'd make child write a blog post or some description of his experience. Choose one small moment or event of the experience, and write about it. Or even better, maintain a daily blog for the 10 days. : )

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

Thank you Rihana for your nice suggestions, I will explain him about this options :)

Ya he got good friends.. i too realized...

4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

You have a creative young son ! Encourage him . Rather than a YouTube channel I recommend Instagram. It’s free and you can upload quick videos. Not everyone has time to see a full fledged YouTube video. I have started watching recipes on Instagram too, no sho sha directly to the point.
    You have to monitor what content he has access too. Also not be addicted to it. 1 hour max each day .

dhivyacc likes this.
  5. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Sorry don’t have any suggestions but your kid has talent and did a awesome job..

dhivyacc likes this.