1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

organic vs non organic

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by h1need, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@coolwinds certain level of washing, boilin/steaming style of cooking helps remove the pesticides. So compared to other types of cooking, Indian cooking is definitely better. Overcooking is a completely different thing. Indian cooking does not require Overcooking.

When one is living in a polluted environment, eventually they get used to the environment. This is also kind of getting immune.

Definitely there is a difference between a farmers market vegetable and a super market vegetable. Farmers market does not necessarily mean organic produce. But yes, the vegetables in farmers market are definitely better.

Nobody is presenting any misinformation here. All of us are stating our opinions. What I say need not be accepted.

2. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

nope. getting used (if it can be called that) to pesticides is not the same as getting immunity. like i said, body tries to filter out whatever it can depending on the person's state of health, but over a period of time you have build up happening, it may trigger health concerns. what happens instead is, the plant bugs are developing immunity, requiring ever stronger pesticides. read here-Pesticide resistance. this is not a opinionated statement but fact. i am just hoping to clear any misconceptions people might have.

thank you for stating that this is your opinion :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. Sanjana183

Sanjana183 New IL'ite

Hi h1need,
    Yes organic foods are chemical free and that is why they are much better for babies. I feed my 5 month old only organic food

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. priyamurali75

priyamurali75 New IL'ite

We spend so much of money for useless things. Most of the times petrol bill for a car is equal to the grocery bill or at times more. When we can afford for comfort and luxury, why not for health?

Are we going to torment our children and burden them with our medical bills?

Are we going to raise children with weak immune system and give them the luxurious and lavish lifestyles?

It is a personal choice to invest on health!!!

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Buying organic is a personal choice, if you can afford it, then I would advise to buy organic for your baby and also transition to organic for your day to day cooking.

We ate organic before the baby arrived, so I feed organic fruits/veggies to my baby. She also gets organic rice and oats. We also eat organic meat (which we cook only on weekends), eggs, milk and yogurt.

For the past 3 years we have signed up with a local CSA (community supported agriculture), we pick up a box of vegetables from a vendor at our local farmers market every Saturday. The vendors farm is organic and is located 40 min from where we live. We pay $500 in Feb. and from May-Oct get a big box of vegetables in season. We just visited the farm last weekend, they had a tour for members.

If you have something like that in your area, I would highly suggest that, its really economical and you get fresh, local organic food. You will receive a variety of vegetables and in good quantity. For e.g...this Saturday we received:

6 tomatoes, 10 small eggplants, 1 bunch basil, 3 heads lettuce, 1 bag arugula, 1 bag green beans, 3 zucchini, 4 cucumbers and 3 onions. Last week we got:

4 tomatoes, 5 eggplants, 1 bunch parsley, 3 heads lettuce, 4 corn, 1 cabbage, 2 fennel heads, 5 beets, 3 onions, 8 cucumbers, 1 box strawberries, 1 bag green beans and 1 bag arugula.

This works out well for us as its too much veggies for just the two of us, so I give the baby lots of stuff we dont like...like zucchini, squash :) . I also give some stuff to our neighbors. The other veggies which are not in season, like sweet potatoes, I will organic from local store.

Even if you cant buy everything organic, below is a list of vegetables which are known as the dirty dozen (they have the highest level of pesticides/ chemicals), try to buy those organic:

Peaches
    Apples
    Sweet Bell Peppers
    Celery
    Nectarines
    Strawberries
    Cherries
    Pears
    Grapes (Imported)
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Potatoes

Least contaminated are as below:

Onions
    Avocado
    Sweet Corn (Frozen)
    Pineapples
    Mango
    Asparagus
    Sweet Peas (Frozen)
    Kiwi Fruit
    Bananas
    Cabbage
    Broccoli
    Papaya

Cooks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

In terms of building immunity, our indian spices like garlic, ginger, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, elaichi etc etc are well known to build immunity over time gradually and protect against common ailments.

Cooks

7. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

The issue is, in India, what is claimed to be an 'organic' food stuff, may really not be organic.

I heard they market non-organic stuff, as 'organic', as there is no Agency of Govt to supervise, whether they really market organic stuff only.