1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

organic vs non organic

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by h1need, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@amrithabox Going the non-organic way is one's personal choice. With our Indian cooking style of washing, boiling, steaming etc, I dont think we have to worry too much about chemicals. Also we are exposed to enough chemicals. Unless I change to a toxic free environment, I feel changing just one part of our food is not going to make much of a difference.

We have grown eating non organic food. We are doing ok. The immune system of kids seem to be weak compared to us. If I want to go all organic way then I am not helping in building a better immune system. My thinking (educated enough!) may be different but then I am entitled to have my own.

2. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

I buy non organic veggies and fruits for our entire family.But I opt to buy only organic milk and organic eggs because I don't want the artificial growth harmones affect my children.

Frankly speaking most of us cannot afford to buy everything organic isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  3. healthandbeauty

healthandbeauty Junior IL'ite

hi i think organics is best not only for kids but for us and plants as well , as we consume less chemicals as compared to non organics

4. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

My family is this business(basically rice miller and seed plants)..and nothing is organic..believe me..only thing is they are using less pesticides fr organic foods..So don't get confuse..

5. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

pesticides don't help build immunity! it is a huge mistake to think that regular pesticide ridden food is the way to build immunity. children here, live in excessively sanitized environments which is the reason for lowered immunity. a diet of mainly processed food does not help either. nor does sitting in front of the tv or ipad games, instead of getting out and playing in natural surroundings, getting some fresh air and exercise.

for many, an organic lifestyle is very expensive to maintain. this includes, food, non-toxic household cleaning products, bodycare products, clothes, etc. in which case, best is to make sure what goes into the body is organic.

think of it as an investment into your and your family's long term health. better than paying the doc's fees!

1 person likes this.
  6. coolwinds

this is incorrect. i don't know what criteria they use in Singapore, but here in the US, there are certain guidelines to be followed before a product gets the 'organic' label. however, the consumer needs to educate herself about what constitutes 'organic'. there is industrial organic in addition to local, seasonal produce and animal products.

7. coolwinds

absolutely! i wish more people would be informed about these things! it goes beyond personal health to our childrens' future. because the fate of the environment is inextricably linked to the people who share it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Everything is fixed and anyone can put organic stamp on there products..in Singapore rules are more hard but..dear in this line everyone is getting commotion for this..

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@coolwinds Extremely sanitized environment can include eating organic foods too. Eating regular vegetables makes one immune to the lowest form of chemicals. I again stress, with our Indian style of cooking it does not matter what kind of veggies we use.

10. coolwinds

the human body does NOT become immune to pesticides. all pesticides are known toxins. at the most, body can try to filter them out, but given the current levels most people are exposed to, it places a big burden on the body over a period of time. indian cooking does not have any magic alchemy that removes these toxins. remember, overcooking also removes most of the nutrients in food

this is not an argument or a debate, but stating clear facts. because, misinformation or misguided understanding spreads the wrong ideas. each one is free to choose what they want, just no wrong information please! please don't take offense.

a small observation for those interested. next time you go to the big supermarket, take a conventional/regular tomato and smell it. there will either be a very faint smell or none of what a tomato smells like. now, go to the farmer's market in season, pick a juicy tomato and do the same. you will smell the tomato in all its glory! plus, no waxy coating! don't forget to compare the taste.

1 person likes this.