Opos Method And Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by ILUser07, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Hello ILs,
    I just came to know about the OPOS method. I live in US, have electric coil stove top. Is 2 Ltr pressure cooker mandatory? I have 5 ltr one. How do we standardize on electric coil?

sindmani likes this.

2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

following this thread . Keen on learning about OPOS too .But I saw a video on Youtube where this guy was making paneer dish using opos.He said the heat should be high and the flame should be such that it only covers the base of the cooker and not less or more than that.You can use that particular coil size which effectively covers just the base of your cooker.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I too stay in US. Had same doubt as yours !
    Coincidence I just oposed my first dish today ! Bisibelebath ! It was yummy !
    As far I know I think you need 2/3 litre only !

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  4. Deepthiprush

Deepthiprush New IL'ite

OPOS can be done in any size of cooker starting from 1.5lt to 25 lt. But one has to learn techniques in 2l pressure cooker. Please join "OPOS Support Group" group in facebook. People will be very happy to help and answer any questions. There is also lesson plan in that facebook group which should be followed for beginners. lesson plan will teach what is high heat. I almost cook all my dishes in OPOS way.

sindmani likes this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi, i am at Bangalore, India. I recently attended an OPOS workshop conducted by Ramakrishna, the man behind the OPOS method. My basic question was also with regard to scaling up the quantities being cooked as he was always speaking of using a 2 litre cooker only. He made it clear that we can do it ourselves, and it should work in sligtly bigger volumes too. Regarding standardising of coil stove, you can follow the initial lesson of OPOS, of boiling a quarter cup of water . You should be able to receive the first long whistle within 1.5 to 2 mins. This is the standard flame/temperature required. You can adjust your heat till you get this desired whistle timing. Hope this helps.
    I have been Oposing all my regular cooking for some 6 months and it is truly time saving / efficient method.

knbg, Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  7. Deepthiprush

Deepthiprush New IL'ite

Scaling up can be done by increasing everything. Example: USe 4 lt cooker and double all the quantities. Whistles remain same. Time varies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  8. Deepthiprush

Deepthiprush New IL'ite

I am in Canada and using coil stove. You need to preheat stove- means switch it on and let it get heated and when you see red color on the coil, then you place the cooker.As joylokhi mentioned, standardize the cooker. There is also an OPOS cookbook available on Amazon Kindle version.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  9. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I guess I should buy a 2 ltr cooker. While buying new kitchen stuff always excites me, I should see if I can find any here or should I get from India. Has anyone tried OPOS in instant pot?

10. Deepthiprush

Deepthiprush New IL'ite

Good luck with your shopping. Few of the OPOS recipes (only gravies or dump all and cook kind of stuff) can be done in instant pot. But if you do the same in 2l cooker, it can be done before even Instant pot gets heated.