Opos Help Request

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Caughtinbetween, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

OMG the mere reading of FB s here besides mouth watering at this noon hour has the potential to increase dopamine in my system .
    With increasing & encouraging belief that cholesterol nothing to do with heart attack in humans, I now included in my shopping list few more items to try in OPOS in association with spouse.
    Super sweet savings and servings here.
    Thanks to all madam sisters & daughters.
    Regards.
    God is going omnipresent in nuts!

lazy and Anusha2917 like this.
  2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

:roflmao:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

Few doubts. If I place the onion for the kurma will they have any smell after cooking. Because they aren’t fried and caramalised. Also having doubts about the ginger garlic paste whether will have the raw flavour. Do we have to prepare specially for it and store or just make on that day.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

So in the meantime , I tried rava upma (it came out good , very dry as i like ) , little millets pongal which was also dry . dry potato curry got burnt at the base , maybe will try changing the quantity and do it again. And also baingan sabzi came out good . I want to make dry curries though . So far its all the gravy kind of curries that worked well. But cabbage , cauliflower , potato gravy and chana sundal have come out good. Also I am yet to get any veggie in the natural color we see often in the group. All my veggies specially green ones like beans , spinach , or carrots still look overcooked .

Regarding onion and gg paste , whenever i used it , i used it raw only and never really noticed any difference in smell or flavor.

Thank you everyone for the inputs here .

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

For greens mentioned by U, the trick is to release the pressure manually after 2 whistles. If u let it settle by itself, they tend to become soggy and dull in colour. With pressure release, you will be able to see the difference. Hope that is the only issue and it works next time.

6. Caughtinbetween

@joylokhi thank you very much for your response . Yes i will try to immediately release the pressure next time and hope it works . Cooker usually takes more time to build up to the first whistle which is often much more than what it takes for others , though its relatively new and less used. that could be one of the reasons probably . thank you for your encouragement .

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I tried OPOS in the pressure cooker long ago. Either I was too dumb for it to work or my pressure cooker was too old. : )

Tried it again last year with the Instant Pot. It has been a life-changer. Just add the 3-4 layers, start IP in Steam-More mode, and go away. The OPOS group recipe instructions say to do Quick Release, but I sometimes don't do that and it still turns out fine.

They have a FB group OPOS for the Instant Pot. Takes a while for approval to join request. But a well-maintained group filled with carefully curated recipes and devoid of the usual arbitrary queries (I have a bag of this daal/that vegetable, what should I make today?).

My favorite are choley and sambhar. Even the most discerning consumers could not tell that I had used room temperature bottled tadka, OPOS ginger garlic, caramelized onions...

OPOS in the Instant Pot is also very forgiving. Need not follow the recipe instructions to a T.

joylokhi and SinghManisha like this.
  8. Caughtinbetween

Thanks @Rihana for the response .

I was looking and looking for the OPOS for IP and also requested access to it couple of days back but still didnt get approved . Now I see why , looks like they do take a while to approve . Gravy kind of veggies are turning out fine . Carrot halwa on ganesh puja day was a disaster in PC , i messed up badly on layers and quantity :) . But chhole , dal , sambhar , upma etc came out good .

you mean you start IP in steam mode and just let it be ? Dont have to use the pressure cook mode like we cook in a regular PC ?

thank you .

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I close the IP lid. The display would be showing OFF. I press "Steam", and if needed I press the "Adjust" so that the line under "More" is glowing. Then, use the + or - to set the minutes. The Pressure level does not matter but is usually High. The way the Steam mode works is that it builds pressure even more efficiently than the Pressure mode. Or something like that the experts in the OPOS group say. : ) Minimal water is used, like none or few table spoons.

The only thing that varies in each recipe is whether the knob is sealing or venting position, how many minutes, and whether to let it NPR. Very few recipes need NPR.

I have used regular PC only for boiling daal, beans, or making idlis.

I am not much into retaining nutrition of cooked stuff, avoid overcooking etc... but even I can tell that the vegetables retain flavor and taste much better after cooking in the IP in OPOS mode. Meat also tastes better.

ip.jpg
    Image is from the internet. : )

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  10. Caughtinbetween

Thank you @Rihana for your detailed response . It was very informative step by step guidance :) really waiting for that group to take action on my request. Feels silly that i am waiting for something on fb to happen to me . But anything that reduces my time and efforts in cooking in the next few months . I am also not big on overcooking , retaining nutrition or stuff but just looking at speeding things up . Thank you very much :)

Rihana likes this.