1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion Poll : When your inlaws started hating you

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sonalie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sonalie

sonalie Junior IL'ite

Guy, take a deep breath and a break.
    so many times you fear, imagine and perceive that your in laws hate you
    Be true to yourself and take this opinion poll, it is beneficial to you too...

Opinion Poll No 1

Q. When did You inlaws start hating you. ?
    Total 13 choices
    A: They Love me
    B: They like me
    C: They dont hate me, just dislike me
    D: They Neither hate, nor love me ( neutral)
    E: They started hating me 10 years after my marriage
    F: They started hating me 4 years after my marriage
    G: They started hating me One year after my marriage
    H: They started hating me 6 months after my marriage and then there was no turning back
    I: They started hating me 1-2 months after my marriage
    J: They started hating me right from the day of my marriage
    K: They started hating me before my marriage ( how my parents handled my engagement etc etc)

Now let us know why....come on....

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not sure which letter would be my reply :confused2:. A combination more likely.

Ours was(is!) is a love-marriage. My in-laws hated me unseen and before meeting me itself. It was nothing personal, any other girl in my position would have been treated similarly. I was just not the girl they wanted my husband to marry. It took us a looooong time before they said yes to us getting married.

Now, it's been some years. It is closer to neutral. They don't like me or dislike me but I am treated with basic respect and am welcome in their house. My husband and I are happy, keep each other happy, and we have two lovely kids, keep our problems to ourselves, never involve parents or siblings on either side in our personal issues. We keep in close touch with them, help when needed, stay oceans away but meet once in a year or so. I could say I've earned their grudging respect for the independent way in which my husband and I lead our lives, deal with our problems (and we've faced some big ones). We make it a point that I handle my family, and he handles his. And in front of our families, we are always one unit, and back up each other, and fight like cats and dogs in private Big Laugh

Parents on both sides don't depend on us in any way, and our families don't intereact much with each other in India. I think things could have been much worse if I didn't have my husband's full support almost always. He was supportive to start with, and I have trained him well too over the years. :whistle

To put it in perspective, I've met or stayed with in-laws about 5 times in 12 years, each duration only about 2 weeks to max of 2 months!.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

My inlaws - esp. my MIL & SIL - decided that they would hate me even before they started looking to get their son / brother married!

My DH's cousin told me that MIL would tell me my DH from around the time he was 8 years old 'Your wife will be a hag. You will become her mouth piece. You will forget your mother & sister after marriage' etc etc etc. WHO ON EARTH tells an 8-YR-OLD boy this?

MIL is mentally unhinged and openly shows it. SIL is more cunning and disguises her mental illness better... but both are Class 'A' LOSERS.

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure which one applies,but my in laws hate me from the day of my marriage. My SIL was fuming during my engagement as though I dont deserve to be with her brother. Its not me but any girl would have got the same treatment. from then to this day my in laws openly tell their son they would want him to separate from me.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. senorita2007

senorita2007 New IL'ite

Hi
    Chocolate and malyatha...
    Its so unfortunate to hear about ur relationship with ur inlaws, sounds like real mean souls... why would they bring a person into their family to hate them to the core and make their life a living hell ?

My inlaws hated me after 2 years of marriage when I fought with my husband and stopped him from s ending huge amounts of money which they were totally wasting...

6. Deepas

Deepas New IL'ite

D: They Neither hate, nor love me ( neutral)

7. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

B. They like me

At least I think they do....

Ever since my m-i-l had laid eyes on me, she wanted me for her eldest son. So being the only d-i-l for nearly 6 years sure gives you a little nudge over the others d-i-ls right? Frankly, We've had our share of downs, but nothing were so serious to be taken to the level of "HATE". Normal arguments like I do with my mom.... I have NO s-i-ls & I am truly grateful for that! I think they are the main cause of a lot of disputes among the saas & bahu. I have a brother & I hope I don't end up in a list like this Big Laugh I got two b-i-ls who are in their own world & my F-i-l too is to himself....
    I am grateful :bowdown for them to like me, 'cos it's hard to welcome someone to your family & them DISLIKE OR RantHATE them

8. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

For my mil it's either: J or K
    For my fil it's probably: C
    For my sil it's: C

Why they hate me? Because I'm their son/brother's wife, that's why. I could be Aishwarya Rai and they would still hate me. My mil wants to be the center of my husband's universe, and unfortunately she's not comfortable sharing the center, or anywhere near the center, with any other woman. As for fil and sil, they follow my mil, but not to her extent. My mil haaaaates me so much, but I don't feel sil and fil hate me, i think they just strongly dislike me. Rant

I often wondered, why would a mil even bother to get her son married if she was so insecure? And the only thing I can think of, is the mil has a dellusional thought that her son won't start loving his wife the same way he loves his mom, that the mom has been #1 in son's life 25+ years, so no way could she be replaced. But the thing is, when you get married to someone, and you plan a life with them, and you have intimate moments with that person, laugh with that person, eat with that person, go out with that person, LOVE HAPPENS and that's when mil feels she's become second, and that's when problems start.

I believe a lot of problems would be resolved if mil's realized they can't be both a mother and wife to their sons. I believe there's no need to be everything to everybody. A mil is wife to fil, mother to son... so why can't mil just let someone else fill wife role with son???? So frustrating!

Also to Sonalie: I don't know why you always use words like "imagine" when it comes to the views dil's have about their inlaws. If a mil acts like she hates you and says she hates you, don't you think you can safely assume she does IN FACT hate you? I think your own bad experiences with your sil have sort of biased the way you see inlaw relationships.

"My inlaws fear me so much that they just avoid talking to me and just let me do things i want them done....they may talk behind me and my cold stare and angry nostrils are enough to quieten them in my presence..."

That's funny, you must know my mil! Because that's the exact look she has on her face when she is screaming at me to get out of "her son's house." Big Laugh

9. vidhurk

vidhurk New IL'ite

hai friend,
    u r really lucky yaar.God bless u . never ever attempt to get closer to them. then u will start repenting .(like me)

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

well i would say my FIL doesn't hate me for sure. He dislikes certain things in me like I speak out my mind (when needed... he thinks DIL should keep quiet even if it means stamping on her self-respect)but he is always open about what bothers him about me. It hurts when he speaks so but i'm happy he is not back biting.

My MIL started hating me after 1 year of marriage. Ours is an arranged marriage. I don't know exactly what triggered... i don't interfere in DH sending gifts, money etc., to his parents, in fact, i remind him to do so; when we visit them i never come between parents and son; i am always quiet when she tries to provoke me (may be she expected a big fight and got disappointed). But she once told me openly that she didn't like that i was enjoying all luxuries her son's money provided... some people just don't make sense and she is one. Well anyways if this hatred gives her happiness that's her choice...