1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

opinion on indian nappies

Discussion in 'Infants' started by happyjan, Feb 15, 2015.

1. happyjan

happyjan New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I was shopping on some online websites and came across these triangle shaped thread adjustable nappies which i thought will be useful for my baby due soon.. (rather than the disposables).. I wanted your opinion if its useful to ask my mom to bring it to US from india?

I know there are a variety of options in US, but they all look so complex and pricey that we were thinking if indian designs are useful?

Did someone use those? Can you please share your opinion?

Thanks

21329a(1).jpg

2. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

I had about 10 of these when I had my lil ones. Handy when they have a nappy rash or something. Mind u the babies outgrow them quickly. Remember paying abt rs 30-40 for them. What with carpets and the general way of life abroad not a sensible option for everyday use. And believe you and me regular diapers are perfectly safe even if 'you or I never needed one, when we were babies!'Have lost count of the no of times I've been told this.Good luck with our baby.

1 person likes this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Based on a friend's experience the Indian ones hold virtually nothing and if you have a big baby they don't fit. If you want cloth diapers better to go for the ones sold here (Wal-Mart has them) and you will also need the pins, plastic pants, and a diaper pail. Some cities still have diaper services which provide and clean cloth diapers.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @happyjan

Let me share my experience. I have used all kind of diapers for my baby. I bought all cloth diapers I can from US stores - Babies R US.

Type 1) Cotton cloth with safety pins: had thicker cotton cloth so probably can take 2 times, but for us once it was wet, we did not feel like keeping it and also sheet underneath used to be wet so we felt baby's skin would also feel wetness. So we immediately used to change it.

Lot of work - first you need to arrange cloth in that shape then pin it up.:roll:

Type 2. BumGenius- After reading lot of raving reviews , I bought this super expensive (17$ each)underwears. Insert gets soaking wet and even that synthetic diaper and to some extent sheet underneath. so you take it out again and change insert ..
    Lot of work. .. with adjustable velcro ..etc. Moreover elastic made tighter to hold stuff inside was tighter for my baby to cause temporary marks (she was super thin).

Type 3. We had many of those nappies. My baby was born in summer time. I agree - no holding but so less amount of work. When wet, its quicker to change.

So I have told you my experience. I had read bad about Indian nappies before birth. So bought all US type here and had asked mom not to bring any. But luckily she did. She brought less according to her. I ended up throwing all others at the back of my drawer. Some of US-styled are still unused.

About growing out - Yes, babies will outgrown all types very fast. For me, longest use was of Indian- nappies that I stopped now because of cold weather.

So see what works for you. You can trying buying 1 of each type and order more later if you feel comfortable. I have wasted lot of money in buying all those.
    Also buy different sizes if you buy in bulk.

1 person likes this.
  5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

These diapers suit the Indian climate well, they dont hold much and not too useful in US. If you want to go the cloth diaper route, try the brand Flip which is the most economical and less complicated. They also have good resale value (Yes, there are people who will buy cloth diapers second-hand).

Here is a link.
    Flip Packages

Its important to have access to laundry facilities at your home. I am not sure if common laundry will work.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

If you would like use indian triangle shaped diapers i would suggest get them from India, rather than cotton one get the hosiery ones, they are much better. Buying in US would be waste of money.

Based on my experience, i would suggest using Indian ones when they get diaper rash. Also using indian diapers would be ton of work and would be use full only till 3-4 once.
    I used them when my DS has diaper rash due to blowouts. My pead suggested me to use Vaseline with every diaper change, it worked well for my DS.

There other type of diapers that are used as cover-ups over diaper, I bough them form india but haven't used them for my DS. I think they will be useful for girls.