1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Opening the doors...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bhagyachinu, Jan 19, 2011.

1. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

I was thinking about doors and windows yesterday. I was specifically thinking as to why all the doors in our houses open inside to let us out? The windows open out but the doors inside. Then my thought constructions started. I thought may be it indicates that in order for us to be liberated, we need to open up inside. And may be windows are like out sense organs. They always open out to the external stimulus. Like windows gives us a glimpse of what is outside (only a glimpse as we can see only what the windows let us see), our sense organs gives us external data. And the data we get are limited by the limitation of our sense organs.

We will know what is outside as a whole only when we come out of the restriction of our house. We have to come out of the restriction of our home, restriction of our self and be a part of the outside world to know what is outside. Even then it is limited to the inputs our sense organs give, we have an idea of the magnitude and limitlessness of everything. When we are outside, we become part of something huge and we become humble. Self-importance takes a beating. But, of course, it is safe to be inside our house thereby shutting out the beauty and glory of the entire world.

And did anybody compel us to stay inside our house? We choose to live inside. There is always the choice of opening the door and coming outside. But we are, by our own choice, staying inside. When the question arose in my mind, I googled for it – just curious. I saw the question answered in howstuffworks.com. They were also talking something about safety J.

Rather than opening the door and letting myself out, I guess I am depending on the windows too much. So much so that I have come to believe that the world is only as far as what is seen through the windows. I am afraid to lose this ‘I’. Rather than becoming the ocean I am happy to be the river. The other day my son was reading his lesson on air. In his textbook it was written that ‘fire needs air to burn’. So he came and asked me “amma, it says here that fire needs air to burn but why is it that when wind blows the candles get snuffed out?”. Candle needs air to burn like I need sense organs to perceive things. But rather than join the roaring fire outside so that I can leverage the wind for soaring high, I am staying inside like a flame so that even a small wind can blow me out!

Like this mullah story: Once, Mullah Nasruddin bought a violin. And he began to play. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... Same note, same string, over and over. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... After a few hours his wife was at her wits' end. "Nasruddin!" she screamed. NEEE.. Nasruddin put down the bow. "Yes dear?" "Why do you play the same note? It's driving me crazy! All the real violin players move their fingers up and down, play on different strings! Why don't you play like they do?" "Well dear, I know why they go up and down and try all different strings." "Why is that?" "They're looking for *this* note." And he picked up his bow and resumed his playing. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

If we continue to restrict ourselves to one single thing, we will end up with one NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…..

Please allow me to quote the great zen master Dogen here:
    To study the way is to study the self.
    To study the self is to forget the self.
    To forget the self is to be
    enlightened by all things.

To be enlightened by all
    things is to remove the barriers

between one's self and others.

2. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

Wow that was a fantastic post..

I have been reading your posts and they generally dig deep. The soul searching posts of yours are such a necessary in these days.

I really sat back and thought over your post for a while..
    How true...

Rather than join the roaring fire outside so that I can leverage the wind for soaring high, I am staying inside like a flame so that even a small wind can blow me out!

:clap beautiful words..I bow before you for giving such beautiful and mostly neglected piece of truth.

Thanx dear for sharing it with us.

3. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

thank you for your kind words.

4. geetsun

geetsun Junior IL'ite

Dear Cheenu, beautifully explained. and the Quote is superb and mind boggling. Yes, we have to come out of all barriers so as to find out our inner potentials. Coming out and mingling with the large group of this world, we can find so many good things which God has endowed on us, which others have been deprived of. If we remain in a barrier, we feel gloomy. Once out of the barriers and meeting so many listening to so many people's problems etc., we will feel contented and happy since at times we may not be facing such problems. Also it helps us to be broadminded. So, windows and doors need to be kept opened that too opened out. Even in Vastu also, I read that front doors should open out so that negative 'chi' goes out and positive 'chi' comes in. Undoubtedly, your post is quite thoughtful and give way to positive thoughts.

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear chinu,

that was an amazing piece, with such an apt analogy. we all need to open up our minds, and let fresh ideas from all over the world blow in while taking care, not to be blown off one's feet.