1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oops

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Jul 1, 2010.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

If I had a nickel for every time someone said 'Oops' in my family, I could have easily joined Bill Gates on the list for the top 10 wealthiest people in America by now.

'Oops' now heads the list of commonly used words and phrases in our day to day life such as 'No', 'OMG', 'I am hungry', 'Can I have a snack?', 'Do I have to?', 'Are we there yet?' and 'Stop bugging me'. The reason is very simple. We believe in cutting to the chase and 'Oops' allows us to do that.

To my question ‘Why didn’t you switch off the stove 5 minutes after I left like I told you to?’, instead of a long winded explanation like ’Are you sure you told me mom? Coz I didn’t hear you at all. May be I had the MP3 on. Next time make sure I don’t have my earplugs on before you leave me with a responsibility like this. Gosh mom, all you have to do is tap me on the shoulder before talking to me. That would have saved you the saucepan’, my eldest daughter now simply says 'Oops'. What brevity in expression! Smart girl!

Before the advent of the word 'Oops', English language was elaborate, descriptive and tiresome. It took an eternity to say anything. For example, BO(before oops) if you had wandered into your dining room at 7.00 am one Saturday morning with eyes still half closed, dressed in your worn out pajamas, scratching your legs and the drool not yet dried around your mouth, only to discover all your neighbors sitting around your kitchen table staring at you because you forgot that it was your turn to host the monthly neighborhood watch meeting, you would have had to say something along the lines of "Hi...............what are you...I..........I just.........I didn't...I mean........." and run out screaming. But now voila, simply say 'Oops' and walk away for that says it all. For such a seemingly small and simple word, it sure packs a lot of meaning.

It is a shame that Shakespeare, Milton, Keats and Shelley were deprived of this miracle word during their time. How the history of literature would have changed! If I tried a bit, I could almost hear the wistful sighs floating from their graves. Let us take a look at Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet.

Act I

Romeo has come disguised with a mask to a party at the House of Capulets, the sworn enemy of his family, the Montagues. Juliet sees him and wants to know his identity and sends her Nurse to find out some information about him. When the Nurse comes back, the conversation goes like this:

Nurse
    His name is Romeo, and a Montague;
    The only son of your great enemy.

JULIET
    My only love sprung from my only hate!
    Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
    Prodigious birth of love it is to me,
    That I must love a loathed enemy.

Come on! All the girl had to do was say 'Oops' and move on. Why all the big words that no one can understand? Shakespeare could have saved himself barrels of ink and lots of wear on the feather. Poor guy!
    Coming back from the 16<sup>th</sup> century, let me tell you why I think ‘Oops’ is an indispensable word for our family. Our vocal chords have been resting easy ever since we stumbled upon this tiny miracle. Reading below, you will see the wisdom of speaking less and saying a lot.

Me: Did you remember to wear your eyeglasses at school?
    Daughter: Oops

Me: Did you mail the tax payment to the IRS?
    Husband: Oops

Daughter: Where is the binder for my Math class? Did you forget to buy it at Wal-Mart this morning?
    Me: Oops

Husband: How long are you going to be blogging? Is lunch ready?
    Me: Oops

Hold on, folks! I am getting a call on my cell phone. Will be back to blog in a second………………………

‘Hi sweetie. What? Are you waiting for me to pick you up at school? Oops.’

Run run run run run………………………….

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010

2. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Meena,

OOPS- I remember Object Oriented Programming whenever i hear it.

Oops, Suddenly am i speaking like a nerd one?:hide:

Bravo! With a Single word, you pulled all the great poets into the scene my dear. Poor Souls. they will be shocked if they read your post :biglaugh

Good one Meena:cheers

3. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Meena,

Another rib-tickler, see I am rushing in to comment before everyone else, or I might have just said 'Oops' with the hope that you'd figure this one out!

The salt and sugar containers (identical ones!) have been moved around, enough occasion to say 'Oops' and 'Oops' again...

'You were supposed to be at the gym, the trainer has been waiting for half an hour'...(Sunil's Mom)
    'Oops! Got carried away reading your posts Mom! Hey, you guys sure do have fun here (in IL!)' (Sunil, my friend's son)

:clap! Bravo, Meena
    My:hatsoff to you...

Love,
    Padma

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena

Oops. What a hilarious post.

love
    viji

5. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Is that all my girl..Oophs
    tongue-slip.
    My Sis.
    The most ultimate PHRASE(It is)for my Dh.OOPHS.!!!
    Gud narration.

6. meenasankaran

@ Raba - Object Oriented Programming???!!!!!!!

I am going to let you in on a secret here Raba. Anytime you feel like you have had enough of me and my ramblings and want to see the door hit my behind (oops, almost said the 'B' word unfit for mixed company) on my way out, all you gotta do is talk 'Technology' and 1,2,3...I am outta here. :):)

7. meenasankaran

Welcome Padmaji!

//The salt and sugar containers (identical ones!) have been moved around, enough occasion to say 'Oops' and 'Oops' again...//

Oh my god, this happens all the time in my home too. Can't believe I left that out of my post!

8. meenasankaran

Welcome and thank you Yashikushi. :)

9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

:rotfl:rotflYou are on a roll here Meena! You reminded me of one of my posts wherein I had mentioned something about Oops. I will repeat it for you here anyway. My little neice had once come home and I was baby sitting her for the day. She taught me that day what an Oops button was on a computer keyboard. It is the BACKSPACE key!!!........

I am so looking forward to a few interesting feedbacks here on this post of yours. I know they will come. Hope I am not disappointed :).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thanks meena ! I must start using that short and sweet word (with a pretty smile,of course) to explain away all my inefficiencies.:)