online shopping safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rose25, May 21, 2010.

1. rose25

rose25 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I don't have any experience in online shopping.Is it safe? which card is safe i mean credit or debit card?

I am from India so i think it's better to shop within India. what are all the trustworthy web sites?

Is there is any way to find a good website? what are all the things should i follow while shopping online?

Thank you IL's

2. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Major sites like rediff, sify etc should be ok since they have all the security measures in places.
    use credit card always. Debit card will take money from ur account.credit card will not.so any problem, its easier to deal with credit card.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  3. rose25

rose25 New IL'ite

thank u rosegirl :)

4. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

It should be safe if you are careful.

When you are transacting online, especially when you input your credit-card information - watch out for the address bar, if it says https:// instead of http:// it should be secure. Firefox also shows a small "lock" on the bottom right corner of your browser when you are on a secure page.

It is always safer with a credit card since you can dispute a transaction later as opposed to a debit card that will simply deduct the amount from your account. Secondly, some credit cards will also give you some sort of fraud-protection if you check with them, not sure if it works like that in India though.

Lastly, nothing is completely secure unless you are very vigilant :)

5. rakesh123456

rakesh123456 New IL'ite

Online shopping is surely safe. It all depends on how trustworthy the site is. I regularly shop from mygrahak for my monthly groceries and they are great in terms of service. Most importantly, they don't charge you online. You only pay when they reach you the products. Thus you are safe with your money. I regularly buy from this site and I also get discounts and coupons. You can try the site.